Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
RE: Newbe with Complex Apnea - Best ASV to get?
Sorry but I am not in Arizona, but rather accross the country. In our area there are clinics that can get you a donated machine if your doctor gives you the Rx. I know in my office, I have 2 Auto SV BIPAP machines that are ready for people just like you.

Unfortuantely CPAP and traditional BIPAP does not treat complex sleep apnea in many patients; however, there are a group of people, often men in what sounds like your age category that do quite well with regular CPAP if we watch you on the machine with download over about 4-6 weeks. Those "central" apneas do seem to resolve or at least improve. It is not always, but if you could have your doctor write for one of these machines on a trial basis and follow you closely at the office or at a CPAP clinic, you may actually do pretty well. It is thought that this has something to do with resetting the CO2 threshold. The worse the apnea, the more often I personally see people have central events up front. It is about 70-30 that people end up doing just fine on regular CPAP (all being equal).

Good luck!

DO Sleep Solutions, Inc.
- Dr. Zzzz...
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome dosleepflorida

From your system list I take you're a user as well as a prescriber?

I read your other post about the resmed S9 machine.

How do you like the Respironics System one BiPAP Auto SV Advance DS950HS machines??

I would suggest you get a copy of Sleepyhead reporting software, both for its better interface and as so many users use it over Encore.

I hope you stay with us but fear you will become swamped with questions: I being one first in line.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dosleepflorida,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2013, 12:24 AM)vsheline Wrote: Turning EPR down (gradually, maybe one notch a week) to 2 or 1 or Off may improve the CA Index (average number of clear airway apneas per hour).

Using EPR can increase (make worse) the CAI number, for the minority of patients who are susceptible to central events. Some long-time CPAP users have found that their CAI numbers improved a lot when they turned off EPR.

Some people find EPR/Flex/exhale relief helps centrals, some find it makes it worse. That's one of the reasons it's so important to have a fully data capable machine, monitor the data and carefully tinker while observing the results.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
BREAK THOUGH!!! NO EVENTS!!!!

I felt it was time for a desperate act, so far I have not slept over 4 hours at one time on the machine..and that seemed to only happen after many nights of one hour at a time..

So last night I took a Zantac.

I woke up a little stiff and need a bathroom break.

Then I relisted I have slept for seven hours..nearly a full night’s sleep.

I had to see how I did.

So I plugged in the SD card and downloaded it.

First I felt: ON NO it malfunctioned, it failed to scan my last night how did I mess it up..

AND then I relised it had not malfunctioned that many of the readouts were reporting breathing.

Then I had a OMG moment.

I HAD A PERFICE NIGHT ZERO AHI, ZERO APNEAS, ZERO EVERYTHING.

SEE:

[Image: 518BESTnightEVER_zpsb55b87e4.jpg]

[Image: 518BESTnightEVERB_zpsc949a23c.jpg]

[Image: 518BESTnightEVERC_zps005de6aa.jpg]

[Image: 518BESTnightEVERE_zpsed08cde2.jpg]

[Image: Bestnight512O2_zpsf2d6eb5f.jpg]

This would and could not have happen with out all your support and help.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2013, 06:46 AM)racprops Wrote: BREAK THOUGH!!! NO EVENTS!!!!
I HAD A PERFICE NIGHT ZERO AHI, ZERO APNEAS, ZERO EVERYTHING.
Then I realized I have slept for seven hours..nearly a full night’s sleep.

Awesome! Congratulations!

Having just the other day achieved my first zero, I think we should form "The Big Fat Zeroes" club.

"Hi. I'm JJJ. I'm a Big Fat Zero." Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It took 29 days to reach this.

And as I tried to go back asleep and got another 2.75 hours of sleep the machine the racked up 3.24 events 1.05 CA and 2.19 Hypopneas.

So I do know this will not be every night, but I also now know it can happen and that I am on the right track.

Rich

PS I will point out it took a Xanax and sleeping in my recliner is a near upright position. There is still work to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi racprops,
That's GREAT that you reached the "BIG ZERO" mark, CONGRATULATIONS,! I know you have been trying to get there for quite a while.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2013, 01:48 PM)racprops Wrote: PS I will point out it took a Xanax and sleeping in my recliner is a near upright position. There is still work to do.

Xanax. Ok, originally you said Zantac and I was trying to figure out how that was possible! Smile

Often drugs will do this, but the effect wears off and eventually your AHI goes back to what it was without the drug.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well as I have a habit of waking nearly every hour, and only getting good sleep when I fall asleep around 3 AM I am hoping to break that cycle.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,927 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with Complex Apnea Joey67 6 577 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP! Central/Complex apnea hopeforusall 10 856 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.