Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recovering from surgery and frustrated with leaks
Recovering from surgery and frustrated with leaks
I am not able to raise my left arm as I just had a pacemaker put in, and it's almost impossible to get my mask on right and keep it on through the night. My numbers are fine, but the leak rate is up as I can't adjust or get comfortable. This is going to be going on for a month. I am thinking of taping my mouth shut with medical tape so I can't open my mouth. My nose runs a bit and so I find myself pushing the pillows out of my nose and then putting it back in so I guess that is probably accounting for the leaks, I seem to be doing that a lot during the night, also since the surgery, I am still having to take Xanax at night for my panic disorder so I am in a bit of a drugged state during the night. I can't keep going to the ER when I think I am having Afib, I did that a few nights ago and the readout on my pacemaker was perfect. What would you all suggest so I can get some sleep. I am usually on my left side sleeping and now have to be on my right, I can't move my arm, it's in a Velcro band so I don't accidentally raise it up. Soooooooooooooo frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recovering from surgery and frustrated with leaks
When I had my right shoulder rebuilt, my poor wife had to help me put my mask on each night for the first six weeks or so, so I do feel for you!

I can only tell you what I did back then, but as a rule I would not suggest it for others. Add a nightly antihistamine on top of the Xanex - it will help dry up your nose during this period, and will also help your sleep too. I would check to make sure it does not conflict with any of your meds first though.

Sadly, this is one of those periods where 'time' is the answer. Just gotta do what you can do to get through it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.