Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie?
Newbie?
Howdy, until 6 years ago, I was one of my late mum's caretakers. Since a month and a half ago I did a polysomnography in a fully equipped sleep lab and since then I am officially a user myself. So I changed my profile from my mum's stats to mine, also the machine, tube and mask that I use.
I'm a man of 57 years and weigh 278 lbs and 5' 8" tall with a BMI of over 42. The meds I use are: enteric coated aspirin 81mg, Tenormin 100mg for tachycardia, Lipitor 20mg for cholestrol, glocuphage 2000mg and Jardiance 10mg for type-2 diabetes.
PSG results found AHI 97.8 and lowest oxygen desaturation of 52%. Diagnosis: Severe OSA + PLMD & hypoventilation related to Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome. Recommendation of my doc: Non supine position BIPAP Pi=17, Pe=8 + humidifier, oronasal mask, ramp from 6 for 15 minutes plus supplemental O2 2 L/min.
My Doc wanted Respironics or Weinmann and as I have no insurance I chose Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO. As there is no DME in my area, my machine was unadjusted, so I adjusted it to spontaneous mode with min. EPAP 8 and max. IPAP 17 with 15 minutes ramp from 6. As I had no prior knowledge of pressure support(PS), based on my internet searches I set PS at 9(not the doctor, me). For about a month I used this setting with a median AHI of 4.1. After a month I decided to use auto bipap mode with the same setting with a median AHI of 2.1. Now I want to tweak my settings if possible, to lower AHI even more. I want to raise max. IPAP to 25 and after a week if all is well, try reducing PS 1 cm H2O every week till I reach PS 3 or 4 and see what happens. Any help would be greatly appretiated. Below you will find my last night graphs.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie?
I'd believe a PS of 9 to be rather extreme in your case, that is assuming besides apnea events your breathing is normal. I'm pretty sure you want to back it down some. When I used my ASV I sometimes hit PS of 9 as my machine was set for a PS range of 3-13, but I have Complex Apnea and COPD.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see if we can bring you down to more normal settings.

Set PS = 6, I don't want to go all the way down at once
Set EPAP min =9, need to raise it for the OSA
Set IPAP max =20, to give the auto more room.

Try that and post your charts after 1 night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Black Sheep, good to see you on this site. You're in good hands with Bonjour.

Let me add a few details that you provided elsewhere: your doctor has not continued providing you with the O2 bleed. I believe you are considering getting an oximeter that would be compatible with Oscar. In your night-time breathing, your tidal volume is somewhat low and your respiration rate somewhat high.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2020, 12:29 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Black Sheep, good to see you on this site.  You're in good hands with Bonjour.

Let me add a few details that you provided elsewhere: your doctor has not continued providing you with the O2 bleed.  I believe you are considering getting an oximeter that would be compatible with Oscar.  In your night-time breathing, your tidal volume is somewhat low and your respiration rate somewhat high.

Hey, thanks Dormeo. You are spot on with me wanting oximeter. To tell you the truth I have a contec CMS50E, but sleeping with a probe is way more comfortable than sleeping with a bulky oximeter taped to your finger, don't you agree?
As with my discountinued O2 bleed, I'm sorry that I forgot. About low tidal volume and high respiration rate, besides losing weight can anyone suggest any other way( I have gastric bypass on my mind, but because of COVID-19 I postponed it for now)?
Post Reply Post Reply
a stupid question....

how do I post a new question?
Post Reply Post Reply
Read this thread in the Member Account Help Forum: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...New-Thread
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been busy, sorry not to post earlier. Here are my screenshots.

Post Reply Post Reply
I see that the increase in your minimum pressure has reduced your OAs. It's interesting to me that despite the decrease in PS, your FLs are improved as well.

I hope that Bonjour can swing by. With the decrease in PS, your TV is lower, and despite an increase in your RR, your MV is down too. The median RR of 24.8/min is fairly high. You are working hard to move enough air during the night.

Would you consider wearing the Contec oximeter a few nights to see how your O2 looks now that your O2 bleed has been discontinued? I think that could provide valuable information.

How do you feel you slept with the new settings? How are you feeling during the day?
Post Reply Post Reply
Please scale your Flow Rate chart to +/- 60 (Closer to what your values are) and provide a 2-minute view of your flowrate.  I looking at normal flow not a trouble flow.

And let's try a PS = 4 and that is a 'normal' PS for a biLevel.  We may yet try lower, we will see.  Note that how you feel is important so please report that from a critical point of view.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 187 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 498 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 283 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.