Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Thumbsup 
Hi all
I am a Newbie to this forum and to the medical condition.

I made an off hand comment to my Dr about feeling tired, next thing I know is I am at the hospital being wire up and going home with the instructions to wear the wires all night and get the box back to us tomorrow.

I swear I didn't sleep all night, so when I went back for my results six weeks later, I was surprised by all the data of how I slept, when I stopped breathing, for how long etc and YES you have sleep apnoea.

here is a new S9 box all set up for you, take it home and we will see you in another 6 weeks.

To say I was shell shocked is an understatement, and I am still trying to get to grips with it, so I am glad I have found you and I hope to learn a bit more.

all the best to all and I look forward to speaking to you

Neil
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Hi Newbie, welcome to the Forum. I am a relative newbie and people here have been so welcoming and helpful. I am sure they will be the same to you as well.
I must say they move quick in the U.K., I wish they moved half as fast in Australia. It is taking me so long to get everything done over here.
As soon as you come up with any questions you need answering, just ask them on here and all the very knowledgable, helpfully, friendly people here will try to help you as best they can.
I hope you are sleeping better and I do hope your Doctor has diagnosed you properly.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi taz_n_gosport:
I think most people have the biggest challenge in getting used to the mask. What kind did they give you?
Being on CPAP therapy takes some getting used to, but the benefits are significant. After a while you will hopefully actually enjoy this therapy as I do now.
If you have any specific questions make sure you post them here. As Gabby said, the people here on the forum are great and always anxious to help.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome Gabby and Airstream.

I have been given a full face mask for now (I have a review in January) and it is taking some getting use to, I have found the mask fit setting, so I have eliminated the leaks, it feels tight during the night but I am getting used to it.

it is the gale force wind that wakes me up sometimes and the mask fluttering against my face I have not got used to yet, but I have found that by turning Off and then back On and letting the ramp build up again I am getting back to sleep.

Roughly (Ball Park Figure) how long does it take to start feeling any benefit?

Neil
Post Reply Post Reply
I am guessing that your machine has been set at a high pressure. My pressure runs very high too.
I can tell you that it just takes time for you to get used to high pressure (again, if that is the case), although I understand some people have to have the setting reduced.
Not sure about the fluttering if the mask. Possibly you are moving at night and pushing the mask from your face and the seal starts flapping? That happens to me occasionally too. I have to keep my mask tight- something that also you get used to over time.
If you are using everything properly, you should begin feeling better soon. Of course, everyone is unique as to their apnea, so there is no set time limit.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome taz_in_gosport! Glad you have found us.

Results from your sleep study can be astonishing and eye-opening. Getting used to therapy can be challenging and it will get better. It is different for each individual. Stick with it. You may want to investigate what other masks might work better for you and more comfortable while maintaining productive therapy.

Feeling benefits is also different for individuals. Some feel almost immediate results and others take longer. It may depend on how long your body has been battling with sleep apnea and how severe it has been. The longer it has been, the longer it can take to recover. Changes can be very subtle as well. For me I slept through the night instantly and that was a big deal. I have been doing therapy for a month and was wondering when I would feel results. In the last week or two I have thought about how I have not felt sleepy in the middle of the day at my desk. There were times when I had to fight to stay awake at work. Also now I don't fall asleep on the couch evenings when I finally sit down to watch some TV.

I keep a journal every morning marking down results of usage time, AHI, and leaks and anything different that has happened. It is good information to refer to should you have the need. For example a few weeks ago I woke to a sneezing spell with my mask on which raised my AHI above the accepted normal (below 5 AHI is normal). I sneezed all day long and had a lot of nasal congestion. I thought I must be getting sick. That night I discovered an empty humidifier and the hose had been blowing dry air up my nose. I believe that caused the reaction I had. All was well again the next night when I had filled my humidifier. Another time I had put my nasal pillows on my headgear upside down after cleaning. It caused leaks in my data while I was trying to figure out why it was so uncomfortable and I couldn't get air. When talking with the sleep lab the next week, they had looked at my data on that date and noticed the leaks ... I could explain why. Journals help you keep track of things.

Good luck with your therapy and keep coming back for any questions you have and encouragement. We have all been where you are at. Know that CPAP is extending and saving your life. Sleep Apnea is dangerous if left untreated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi taz_in_gosport,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP can take some time to get used to, but as you use it, it does get better.
You might try using the mask and machine during the day, say, in the evening while you are watching TV or reading to help your body get use to this "new" way of sleeping.
Another thing I would say is, don't be shy about trying different masks.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to help you understand.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the support.

I see a lot of you use humidifiers, I wake up in the morning with a dry sore mouth, is it worth pushing the hospital to try and supply one to help me when I go back for my review? Tongue-out-2
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO yes. I see you are using an S9 Autoset. I have the ResMed S9 AutoSet and mine came with a humidifier. They are two separate units that snap together. Yours didn't come with a humidifier? It is a unit that you fill with distilled water. Also available are heated ClimateLine hoses. They heat the air slightly through the hose and also help keep your hose dry so there is no rainout. I was unaware the AutoSet came without a humidifier. If you need to get one, I don't know if it would require a prescription from your doctor. I believe the ClimateLine hose does require a prescription. My prescription included everything.

There may be others with more experience that can chime in on this as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to becoming a hose-head.

While I am one of the folks who felt much, much better within days of starting, my heart issue (caused by untreated OSA) has taken roughly 10 years to improve back to somewhat normal.

Everyone is different, some find it easy to adjust, others not so much. Personally I found that thinking well of my 'dream machine' went a long ways towards helping me get used to all the changes.

Just know that you are not alone in what you are going through at this time.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.