Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to board. Struggling on bipap
RE: New to board. Struggling on bipap
(05-29-2014, 09:27 AM)Bama Rambler Wrote: Try commenting on/answering a few of RobySue's comments and questions ...

Yes, that would be helpful.

Hi DeadAndTired,

1. Assuming you were dispensed a PRS1 BiPAP ST machine because of central apneas, you may want to request the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced with heated hose, because this ASV model is more automatically adaptable to our natural breathing, and I think you may actually find the ASV model more comfortable and it's therapy more effective.

Pressure Support (PS) is the name of the boost in pressure when inhaling.

The BiPAP ST machine is somewhat like a non-Auto machine which does not adjust the exhale pressure (EPAP). It is like a PRS1 REMSTAR Pro model, except the inhale (IPAP) pressure can be set higher than EPAP, and if you stop breathing the BiPAP ST machine will use Pressure Support to make you breath at 10 breaths per minute (or at whatever backup rate it has been set to).

The ASV machine, however, would be like an Auto machine which does adjust your exhale pressure (EPAP) to treat/prevent obstructive apneas. Like the PRS1 REMSTAR Auto or PRS1 BiPAP Auto, the ASV machine can be set to automatically adjust EPAP to better avoid obstructive apneas. In ASV machines, PS increases automatically when needed to treat/prevent central events. And, during a central event, when it does increase PS to keep you breathing adequately, the backup rate can automatically adjust itself to your recent breathing rate, so it will be better synchronized to your own breathing.

2. Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually highly positional, with supine (flat on our back) usually far worse than if sleeping on our side. It may help tremendously to ensure that you are never sleeping on your back. When I am ready for sleep, I put on a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball or two in pocket sewn between my shoulder blades, so that when I roll onto my back I wake up just enough to keep rolling, to my other side.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 269 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 222 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,318 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 481 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.