Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - 2 nights
Newbie - 2 nights
I have been using my new machine for 2 nights. Although, I might have to try another mask, overall it is an improvement in my daily energy level.

My questions are Last night my ahi was 13.9 (my sleep study ws 32), therapy hours were 7.30, no large leaks, but I have a question on what another term means, Periodic breathing 2.7 %.

I must admit, I have not read the manual fully, but glanced over things. I was thinking my numbers would drop dramatically when I started using the CPAP, I guess for some it does, for some it does not. I do know, If I lay on my back, it is a better AHI- as I took a nap. But I tend to sleep bette on my right side, which is when I have the most obstructions, per the sleep study.

I think my machine is not one of the preferred models, but since I was a newbie at this, I figured, I would follow the drs orders, until I get more familiar with all of this. so will the sleepyhead program,work with my data card, to give me a detail day to day progress? or should I just keep looking at this on my own.

I am supposed to be a call next week to see how it is all going. And I will tell them about my mask problems. mainly pain in the top bridge of my nose. but the leakage is ok, It works, other that that red mark that hurts, and wont go away.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - 2 nights
Hi okiegal61,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You haven't been at CPAP therapy that long, everybody is different so it might take a while for you to get used to it, just stick with it. if your mask is giving you trouble, you sure do want to let the DME know about it next week when they call you to ask how things are going.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Okiegal:
First of all welcome to the Forum. You must remember that not all of us here are a touch looney! Loco
WE do offer a lot of good advice and have fun doing it.
Remember that to get used to using a CPAP machine and sleeping with a mask on with air blowing at you will take time to get used to.

try wearing the mask during the day for short periods like when watching TV or reading. It does take time for your face to get used to wearing the mask. Quite a few users, including myself, have had to use creams to help with problem areas.
Don't give up!!!!!
Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand it correctly, and I probably do not, periodic breathing is where you had a cessation of breathing but it did not last 10 seconds. Not sure what the percentage means.

How were you central event counts?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, okiegal. I guess we were the lucky ones on the same day. Just had my second night with my APAP therapy as well. I think everyone I have worked with so far told me that it will be about a 2-week process getting adjusted to it. The second night seemed to be better for me. Good luck!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on improvement of energy levels, very good sign
Keep it up Well-done
I've had similar results when started but things get sorted out as get used to the machine and find better mask after tried several masks
Some might find the first mask is the best mask, everyone is different

We don,t need all have to use an S9, your machine good one too
You need to install the patch in addition to sleepyHead to work with PRS1 560
Finding the right mask is most important ... no efficient therapy without a good mask fit
Tennis ball in a sock sewn on back of pyjama tops would help avoid rolling on your back
Your machine report total leak (mask vents leak plus excess leak)
No large leak does not tell me much other than leak was not in the large leak territory
Any leak large or small if affect sleep quality. need to be sorted out

PRS1 manual ... Event Definitions
Obstructed Airway Apnea / Clear Airway Apnea Detection
An apnea is detected when there is an 80% reduction in airflow from baseline for at least 10 seconds or if there is no airflow detected for 10 seconds.
During the apnea, one or more pressure test pulses are delivered by the device. The device evaluates the response of the patient to the test pulse(s) and assesses whether the apnea has occurred while the patient has a clear airway or an obstructed airway. The airway is determined to be clear if the pressure test pulse generates a significant amount of flow; otherwise the airway is determined to be obstructed.

Periodic Breathing
A persistent waning and waxing breathing pattern which repeats itself between 30 and 100 seconds. The nadir of the breathing pattern is characterized by at least a 40% reduction in airflow from an established baseline flow. The pattern must be present for several minutes before it can be identified as periodic breathing.
No therapy adjustments are made in response to periodic breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi okiegal!

Welcome

Your body is adapting to a whole new norm.
In the mean time we should get you going on some software so you can get a better picture of how things are going *over time*

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2013, 12:39 PM)okiegal61 Wrote: ... And I will tell them about my mask problems. mainly pain in the top bridge of my nose. but the leakage is ok, It works, other that that red mark that hurts, and wont go away.

First, don't be afraid to try a different masks. Most places let you try different masks at no charge. I'm in my ninth mask, so rest assured that if you need to change masks you are not unusual.

You might also try a liner to see if it helps with the sore spot. The two most popular are RemZzz and Quietus. You can go to their web sites to see what the liners look like, then make your own out of an old t-shirt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the great answers and responses. I have been reading around here, since my sleep study in February, so I have been learning things.

I will be downloading that software soon, and see if I can get that running.

So far so good !

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2013, 12:39 PM)okiegal61 Wrote: I have been using my new machine for 2 nights. Although, I might have to try another mask, overall it is an improvement in my daily energy level.

That's very encouraging. It's also normal for the AHI to be high like that at first.

Quote:I think my machine is not one of the preferred models, but since I was a newbie at this, I figured, I would follow the drs orders, until I get more familiar with all of this. so will the sleepyhead program,work with my data card, to give me a detail day to day progress? or should I just keep looking at this on my own.

Your machine is top of the line. One of the best. SleepyHead will work, but after you install it you will have to download and install the 60 Series patch. I also recommend EncoreBasic software. It's good to have both.

Quote:I am supposed to be a call next week to see how it is all going. And I will tell them about my mask problems.

Don't wait. Call now. Masks are hard to fit, and if it's bothering you now it'll just get worse. The providers know this and make allowances for new patients to try different masks.

Full face masks are hard to fit. Nasal masks are easier. You can also ask about hybrid masks, they have a small nasal pillow that goes in your nostrils instead of over them so there's nothing to press on the bridge of your nose and bother you.

If you go to Apnea Board Supplier List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
and look at the web site for Supplier #1 they have a nice lay out and you can see what the different masks look like.
[/quote]
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.