Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Airsense 11 SD card
Newbie. Airsense 11 SD card
I have been my Airsense11 a week now.  I didnt even know, until discovering this group, that it has and SD slot.

I would very much like to use one and send the data to SleepHQ

Resmed (of course) told me it HAS to be their brand, HAS to be 8GB and will only save data for a year then re-write over it. But I would have to
order this which takes days. I want to start using it today.

From reading here it would seem I can go out to my local best buy and get one

1) Is there a specific kind of SD card (did I read correctly about SDHC?)?
2) Certain brand better than others?
3) Looks like it needs to be formatted as Fat32 - I'm on a mac which appears to do that - will this work?
4) When I plug in the SD card, does it just start writing? or do I need to do anything
5) Will the data I have for the past week be there?
6) any other questions I forgot to ask

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie. Airsense 11 SD card
Hi DeputyDawgAtl!  -  Welcome
  1. Any brand SD (SDHC) card works fine in the AS11.  Find one that is a fair price.  
  2. Previous Resmed models were limited to a maximum SD card size of 32 GB, the AS11 has been tested here by a member to work with a card as large as 256 GB, although it will reformat it to a FAT32.  
  3. The SD cards come preformatted.  The lower memory models will be formatted to a FAT32, while the larger will be the exFAT32 format.  Your Mac should allow for various format type options.  
  4. The SD card MUST be in the AS11 while you are using it in order to record the high-resolution data.  If you insert the card after the fact, all you will receive is summary data.
  5. To use the SD card in the AS11 only requires that you insert.  The AS11 will recognize the card's presence and take it from there. There have been some reports on the AS11 that sometimes, the user has to power down their CPAP in order for it to recognize the card. As far as I know, this is may or may not be your case.
  6. SD cards do fail.  For this reason, it is highly recommended that you create a dedicated directory on your PC and copy (backup) the SD data there.  
  7. While not required, a more efficient method to copy only the newer files, after the initial copying of the SD card, exists.  It involves issuing a command in the terminal using the rsync command.  This can be inserted in an executable text file that will eliminate having to type this command each time you wish to run it.  Another member here has provided the syntax for a Mac to achieve this.  If you are so inclined to go this route, either search for the term, "rsync" or post here, and I will track it down.

Holler, if I missed anything!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2022, 08:36 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi DeputyDawgAtl!  -  Welcome
  1. Any brand SD (SDHC) card works fine in the AS11.  Find one that is a fair price.  
  2. Previous Resmed models were limited to a maximum SD card size of 32 GB, the AS11 has been tested here by a member to work with a card as large as 256 GB, although it will reformat it to a FAT32.  
  3. The SD cards come preformatted.  The lower memory models will be formatted to a FAT32, while the larger will be the exFAT32 format.  Your Mac should allow for various format type options.  
  4. The SD card MUST be in the AS11 while you are using it in order to record the high-resolution data.  If you insert the card after the fact, all you will receive is summary data.
  5. To use the SD card in the AS11 only requires that you insert.  The AS11 will recognize the card's presence and take it from there.  There have been some reports on the AS11 that sometimes, the user has to power down their CPAP in order for it to recognize the card.  As far as I know, this is may or may not be your case.
  6. SD cards do fail.  For this reason, it is highly recommended that you create a dedicated directory on your PC and copy (backup) the SD data there.  
  7. While not required, a more efficient method to copy only the newer files, after the initial copying of the SD card, exists.  It involves issuing a command in the terminal using the rsync command.  This can be inserted in an executable text file that will eliminate having to type this command each time you wish to run it.  Another member here has provided the syntax for a Mac to achieve this.  If you are so inclined to go this route, either search for the term, "rsync" or post here, and I will track it down.
Holler, if I missed anything!
- Red

WOW.. great stuff.   Few more questions..

1) so I can goto best buy and get any SDHC card (thinking 43 or 64GB).  Assuming the amount of data is small thus would last a while
2) So I format it on the mac then (fat32 for 32gb or lower and Exfat32 for above - cool
3) So if I insert the SD card - will I need to do anything ?  Will it just start writing data?
4) Will I get all data so far or only AFTER the sd card is in use?  If I read your point 5 above, the card has to be in when using.  So have I lost all data so far? 
5) I'm on a mac that shouldn't be a problem right?
6) How often does one typically pull the data - weekly I assume?
7) Any sd card brands better than others

Btw  i hear about SleepHQ and Oscar - are they the same?  should I use one over the other or both?

Thanks, going to run out to BB today and get a card
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2022, 09:53 AM)DeputyDawgAtl Wrote: 2) So I format it on the mac then (fat32 for 32gb or lower and Exfat32 for above - cool
I will come already formatted.  You shouldn't need to reformat it

Not at all

Btw  i hear about SleepHQ and Oscar - are they the same?  No.  SleepHQ is a newcomer that is still in beta, and is not related to OSCAR.  It is web-based (no installation) but lacks some features that OSCAR offers.  OSCAR is free.  SleepHQ will, at some point, likely charge to access/store your data.

should I use one over the other or both? That's your choice.  I am not a fan of cloud-based stuff so I stick with OSCAR and keep my data on my local network.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
1. There is no point in anything over 32GB, the max size for FAT32
You have lost all DETAILED DATA from before you insert the SD card, The Summary data will be written to your SD card

We here prefer OSCAR (hey, the OSCAR developers are here).
Obviously, OSCAR has been around longer. As such as a better zoom option (zooms everything together)
SleepHQ works for those that do not have a PC or laptop.

Pull data daily to start, until you are optimized then back off your frequency.
Mac's are not a problem
Post Reply Post Reply
last question.. what size should I get 32 or 64
Post Reply Post Reply
Whichever is cheaper - my 8GB card is going on 4 or 5 years of use.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
1) so I can goto best buy and get any SDHC card (thinking 43 or 64GB).  Assuming the amount of data is small thus would last a while
The smaller sizes are becoming harder to find.  Just look for the most inexpensive one.  Any card at or over 4 GB is sufficient.

2) So I format it on the mac then (fat32 for 32gb or lower and Exfat32 for above - cool
No need to format a new card.  It is already formatted.

3) So if I insert the SD card - will I need to do anything ?  Will it just start writing data?
Just insert the card, and you're good to go.  It will write the data when you use the AS11.

4) Will I get all data so far or only AFTER the sd card is in use?  If I read your point 5 above, the card has to be in when using.  So have I lost all data so far?
You will only get summary data from all the nights you didn't have the card in the AS11.  Remember, you  MUST have the card in the CPAP to record the detailed sleep data.

You shouldn't experience any problems.  (Unless you download OSCAR for the wrong platform... Big Grin)

6) How often does one typically pull the data - weekly I assume?
Weekly if fine.  A lot of us do it daily to see how our therapy is proceeding.  It allows us to tweak the settings to find that "sweet spot".  On the downside, a person can become obsessed with analyzing the data.

7) Any sd card brands better than others
None that I'm aware of.  SD cards, and their innards, have become commodity items.  In fact, most of the full size SD cards made today actually are a micro-SD card in a large carrier package.  This cuts down on the number of manufacturing lines required to make these little puppies.

Btw  i hear about SleepHQ and Oscar - are they the same?  should I use one over the other or both?
OSCAR is a proven piece of software and easily understood around here.  You can use both without any problems. SleepQ is an online site that is currently in Beta testing.  From the few images I've seen, it has a nice presentation.  I don't know anything further about this application.  Around here, we still prefer OSCAR.  It also allows you to take screenshots for posting here.  To take a screenshot in OSCAR, a Mac user would use the Fn+F12 key to take a screenshot (everybody else just uses the F12 key).  This function will collapse your calendar, if open, and provide the display of the most important data.  Please review the links in my signature for more information as you proceed with OSCAR's use.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
WOW.. thanks.. the ONLY SDHC card that BB had was 32GB. Just inserted it into machine. May try it later today, tonight for sure

Btw my Dr had them pre-program my pressure (8-18) so there is no way that I can change it for now I suspect. I use the 45 min ramp up vs. auto - if that means anything

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
We discourage the use of the ramp because it delays the onset of your therapy pressures.  Based on the settings they put in the AS11 for you, your starting pressure is the minimum for an adult, so you will not feel air starved.   You can adjust the settings yourself.  Most of us here do just that.  Doctors seem to be only concerned about compliance and if you can get below an AHI of 5.  They don't seem to exhibit the knowledge, or the time required, to fine-tune it to your particular needs in order to optimize your therapy and comfort.  

Try posting tonight's sleep session here tomorrow and let us have a look-see.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WiFi SD Card for AirSense and OSCAR Stillglade 1 641 01-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 493 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Newbie to CPAP but going to use OSCAR Jimmy Lotus 4 710 08-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Oscar Newbie looking for help weldon123 6 1,027 08-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Nehpets
  Oscar newbie here needtobreath 2 438 08-23-2023, 06:40 PM
  Oscar cannot read SD card and SD card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 1 643 08-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar cannot read card - card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 3 552 08-21-2023, 01:02 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.