Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
(02-22-2017, 10:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nash, you've gotten good advise so far.  I know it's a lot to absorb all at once, but getting the machine setup and using it I think will be a big relief.   The links in my signature describe how to best organize [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] charts, and post them to the forum.  We will be glad to help you make sense of them, but you will need to know how to take the screenshots and make them available.  When you get a chance, please take a look at those tutorials. Good luck.

Thanks Sleeprider! Yes it is a lot to absorb all at once. I think you are right about getting the machine setup and going. It will be nice once all this info turns into some actual blowing air LOL. I am pretty committed to making this work. I will read all of the info in your links about sorting, capturing, hosting and posting the screenshots. I really appreciate the information and the support. What a great place I came to for help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!
Just 2 quick checks/ideas:
1 - Do you sleep on your back? Folks with obstructive events may find these greatly reduced by sleeping on the side instead. A bolstering pillow or wedge may help.
2 - Do you find you tuck your chin towards your chest when sleeping? Some folks have found that a cervical collar or neck pillow to keep the neck straight helps their apnea.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 08:40 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Just a tip for using the face mask: Any oily residue on the skin can make the mask move around and/or leak. It seems to seal better when I wash my face with a cleanser (or soap will do) before bed.

I've found it just as important to wash the silicone sealing surfaces of the mask every day with a mild dishwasher detergent. They often get quite slick with oil from my skin, especially around the bridge of the nose. When I use the Quatro FXmask most of my leak problems are in that area.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 11:56 PM)Beej Wrote: Welcome!
Just 2 quick checks/ideas:
1 - Do you sleep on your back? Folks with obstructive events may find these greatly reduced by sleeping on the side instead. A bolstering pillow or wedge may help.
2 - Do you find you tuck your chin towards your chest when sleeping? Some folks have found that a cervical collar or neck pillow to keep the neck straight helps their apnea.

Hi Beej! Thanks for the ideas. 
I used to sleep on my back when I was younger and actually prefer it. I have not slept like that for more than 20 years as when I do I snore so loud people can hear me in the next building. I also have a very hard time breathing when on my back and wake up often. I can't even sleep in a reclined recliner. I will keep falling asleep and keep waking myself up every few minutes. I absolutely MUST sleep on my side to get even a few hours in a row. I can sometimes sleep on my stomach but I always seem to wake with a feeling of dread. It is uncomfortable for some reason. I never thought of this stuff as apnea. I just thought I snored so loud that I was waking myself up. 

I don't tuck my chin I don't think. I sleep on my side with my head on one pillow. It is a special pillow with a dip in the middle of it. It is made of memory foam I think. My neck seems pretty straight though.. I think. 

From what I have read in the last week or so I am pretty sure I have obstructed apnea. Unfortunately, even though it might seem obvious to me now, I never had a clue. I am getting the distinct feeling that it has had a very bad impact on my life over the years and has now come to the point where I can't avoid it. I really thank you for your help and your concern.

(02-23-2017, 12:05 AM)Melman Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 08:40 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Just a tip for using the face mask: Any oily residue on the skin can make the mask move around and/or leak. It seems to seal better when I wash my face with a cleanser (or soap will do) before bed.

I've found it just as important to wash the silicone sealing surfaces of the mask every day with a mild dishwasher detergent. They often get quite slick with oil from my skin, especially around the bridge of the nose. When I use the Quatro FXmask most of my leak problems are in that area.

Thanks Melman! I will do just that. Actually one question I wanted to ask is if you all wash your machine and mask every morning? Or is there a good spray or something to kind of shorten the whole process?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Actually one question I wanted to ask is if you all wash your machine and mask every morning? Or is there a good spray or something to kind of shorten the whole process?

Have a search around the forum and you'll see there are multiple answers to this question. Some people never clean their gear from one month to the next, while others do it every day. It depends on your personal tolerance of potential germs and grime, how good your water supply is and how dusty / humid / dirty your general environment is.

FWIW I live in the suburbs of a biggish first world city. Our water supply is very good but does contain some calcium which could lead to mineral deposits, so I use distilled water. My regime is as follows:
  • Daily: Top up the distilled water in humidifier tank. Remove mask from hose and hang both in the bathroom
  • Weekly: Remove and dismantle humidifier tank and lid seal, mask and hose. Dump the water in the tank. Wash everything in hot soapy water, then rinse in very hot clean water. Allow to air dry. Check inlet filter

I don't know of any sprays to use, and don't really think anything much beyond my regime is necessary unless you live in a very suspect environment (ie third world with unsafe water and high levels of disease). There is a device called a SoClean which disinfects your gear using ozone (there are several threads) but I'm not convinced of its necessity or the desirability of running ozone through my gear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sometimes use CPAP wipes (citrus wipes) to clean the surface of my mask. I would agree with Milman and others that it's important to keep the parts in contact with your face clean. It just doesn't seal as well when oil is allowed to accumulate. The wipes aren't as good as a wash, but they do the job if I don't have time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine should come with the heated hose for model dx500t11 and the machine should automatically select 15mm once the hose is plugged in. If it's a normal hose (no clips or electrical contacts), ensure you manually set 22mm.

If you are using a pressure setting of 7-16 cmH2O, you can set ramp start at 4.5 or 5 cmH2O to help you get used to the transition. The Dreamstation algorithm has a softer pressure build up so you have a great machine to work with.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:FWIW I live in the suburbs of a biggish first world city. Our water supply is very good but does contain some calcium which could lead to mineral deposits, so I use distilled water. My regime is as follows:
  • Daily: Top up the distilled water in humidifier tank. Remove mask from hose and hang both in the bathroom

• Weekly: Remove and dismantle humidifier tank and lid seal, mask and hose. Dump the water in the tank. Wash everything in hot soapy water, then rinse in very hot clean water. Allow to air dry. Check inlet filter

DeepBreathing, that sounds like a reasonable regimen to me. I sure would like to avoid having to take it all apart every day. I live in Chicago where we get about 8 months of winter and 4 months of humid summers (spring and fall last about 4 days LOL). I never considered using the water from tap and purchased some distilled water already. Too many odd things in our water like fluoride etc. Your way sounds like a good plan to me. If I have some type of problem I will increase the washings. I think I will get some wipes for the mask to use quickly every morning. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2017, 07:20 AM)C0mbe Wrote: I sometimes use CPAP wipes (citrus wipes) to clean the surface of my mask.  I would agree with Milman and others that it's important to keep the parts in contact with your face clean.  It just doesn't seal as well when oil is allowed to accumulate.  The wipes aren't as good as a wash, but they do the job if I don't have time.

C0mbe - I am going to give those a try. Do you have a particular favorite brand you use? Thanks for the response and support!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2017, 08:12 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Your machine should come with the heated hose for model dx500t11 and the machine should automatically select 15mm once the hose is plugged in. If it's a normal hose (no clips or electrical contacts), ensure you manually set 22mm.

If you are using a pressure setting of 7-16 cmH2O, you can set ramp start at 4.5 or 5 cmH2O to help you get used to the transition. The Dreamstation algorithm has a softer pressure build up so you have a great machine to work with.

Hi Newbee2016 - Yes it came with a heated hose that seems very thin to me. I am sure it is thinner for a reason (easier to heat smaller diameter?). I will make sure that it sets at 15mm when I plug it in. 

Ok now keep in mind I am a newbie. DeepBreathing suggested that if I found the pressure uncomfortable to set the ramp to 10 minutes. So I am assuming from what you are saying that there is a setting to also change the cmH20? I am guessing that if I set it for ten minutes it would normally start at 1 cmH20j but I can change the setting to start at 5 cmH20? Since it has "a softer build pressure" I can start higher? Hope I got this right. Thanks for your response and help Newbee2016!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.