Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
(02-25-2017, 04:42 PM)Corvette817 Wrote: Nash, welcome!  I've only used a machine for a month so far, including two weeks of a head cold.  The first night I ripped it off after 2 hours.  Now I'm good for 6 to 8 - whatever you feel, stick with it - you have nothing to lose and much to win.  I'm still working on everything, including breathing more consciously and deeply during the day (maybe that is why millions of people practice yoga?)

Anyway, I wanted to mention that I use witch hazel on a cotton pad on my face every night.  You can get it at the dollar store or a drug store, by the isopropyl alcohol. My Aunt told me back in the day that it was our family secret to not getting wrinkles - lol - but I've looked it up, and it is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.

I applaud your initiative and action on this.  This website has certainly helped me to get and keep going.

Corvette817 - Funny you should say that about consciously and deeply (mindful) breathing. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night and I am stricken with anxiety/panic (that I now know is from apnea) the only thing that will calm me down is deep, mindful, conscious breaths. I think you are really onto something there! 

I bought some super cheap Peapod brand baby wipes without alcohol. I am going to give those a try and see if they leave any film or bad smell. If they do I will try to find some witch hazel. 

Thanks for your advice and support! It means a lot to me. And yes, I love this site. Now if this crazy USPS would be kind enough to give me my mask I can get started. I am really getting impatient! 
Perturbed
Post Reply Post Reply
I bet you are!

I ordered one from Amazon, and was thrilled at how quickly it arrived.

P.S. I use dish soap to clean mine, in the shower once a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2017, 01:11 PM)Nash Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 05:08 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 09:19 PM)Nash Wrote: Hydrangea it is the same machine I am pretty sure. Weird how there is so many names for this thing! I am going to change my info too DreamStation Auto/APAP - Respironics dx500t11 (560HS - REMstar Auto with humidifier). I don't really get it but that is the title of the product I bought. Everybody else calls it a DreamStation Auto/APAP.

Sounds like I would definitely not want any rainout! My machine came with a heated hose. It is actually the only hose I have. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to start. I have everything set up but my mask seems to be lost somewhere in the mail. The day I get it I am hoping for a solid 4 hours!  Sleep-well

Ha ha. "Respironics dx500t11 (560HS - REMstar Auto with humidifier)" this seller forgot to include "previous model" or "former model know as" after the start of the bracket. My seller had the "previous model" description but I was still worried the old model 560HS would arrive (first purchase from Amazon and a high priced item) and verified it through the other reviews of the seller on Amazon. You can drop the part within the brackets for your profile.

If you select Adaptive for the humidifier and are using a heated hose, you should be able to go to a higher setting of 3 or more. I'm still using my old unheated hose and had used Adaptive with a setting at 3, no rain-outs. Not using the humidifier for now.

Take it easy over the first week and don't panic. Takes time to get used to it initially. Just come back to Apnea Board for advice  Wink

LOL No actually the seller did have that line in there but I had to remove it to fit it in my profile. The same exact thing happened to me. I ordered it off Amazon for $380 and was really worried that it was going to be the old model that showed up. I have seen a picture of the old model and it was black. When the white one showed up I was relieved. 

I will try Adaptive for the humidifier. I have decided to set everything to auto and just see if it can do everything by itself. Hard to believe it is that advanced but I just have to have faith in the crazy thing. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I am committed to making this work!

I don't know if we were fortuitous, but I was just checking and it appears that the Dreamstation is no longer available on Amazon!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 04:16 AM)Nash Wrote: I wake up about every hour or two with extreme anxiety and a feeling of being smothered. I NEVER sleep for more than a few hours. I used to think this was because I needed to pee. However I recently read an article that suggested that it is actually apnea that wakes you up and the need to pee is secondary. After doing some reading I found that I have many symptoms associated with apnea; depression, fatigue, anxiety, weight gain, low T, and a serious brain fog.

I had all the same symptoms. Except I don't know about the low T. My weight gain was not as dramatic as yours. I also had headaches and dizziness. The anxiety got worse and bled into just about every aspect of my life. CPAP therapy eventually saved me.

The dx500t11 is an excellent machine, but it's not a DreamStation. It's a Philips Respironics System One (what we call a PRS1) so keep that in mind when you request the manual.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbie2016 - Tell you a little self induced horror story. I was very scared that I was going to receive the old version, or something not pictured, or something used. Then after I ordered I tried to go back to the page to reread one of the reviews of the unit and the whole product page was gone! I have NEVER seen that happen on any Amazon product. The product had many many reviews on it plus several other sellers of the machine. I have bought things off of Amazon and returned years later to read reviews or check the question/answer section and never was the thing just GONE. Freaked me out to tell you the truth. Hard to spend that kind of money on something you don't even know how to use and not know for sure you are getting the right thing. 

When the machine got here I was really relieved to find that it was the white model. And it was the Auto version. I also booted it up, went into clinician mode, and checked the blower hours. From what I understand, the blower hours is kind of like the odometer of a CPAP machine. 

So after all my worry it seems like a fine machine. Although I have not been able to give it the ultimate test of actually using it because my friggin mask is lost in a snow storm! 

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:02 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 04:16 AM)Nash Wrote: I wake up about every hour or two with extreme anxiety and a feeling of being smothered. I NEVER sleep for more than a few hours. I used to think this was because I needed to pee. However I recently read an article that suggested that it is actually apnea that wakes you up and the need to pee is secondary. After doing some reading I found that I have many symptoms associated with apnea; depression, fatigue, anxiety, weight gain, low T, and a serious brain fog.

I had all the same symptoms. Except I don't know about the low T. My weight gain was not as dramatic as yours. I also had headaches and dizziness. The anxiety got worse and bled into just about every aspect of my life. CPAP therapy eventually saved me.

The dx500t11 is an excellent machine, but it's not a DreamStation. It's a Philips Respironics System One (what we call a PRS1) so keep that in mind when you request the manual.

Sleepster - Now I am really confused about the model LOL. I did request the manual for the dx500t11 and it is definitely the right manual. I just want to accurately describe it in my profile/signature so that other forum members know what I am dealing with. Maybe I will go change it to just "Philips/Respironics dx500t11 APAP (with removable humidifier)". 

I appreciate you saying how the anxiety bled into every aspect of your life. My anxiety has gotten so bad that I can barely function. I just woke up about an hour ago with panic/anxiety after only sleeping a few hours, AGAIN. I have to wait until I calm down until I try to get a few more hours of sleep. In the meantime I thought I would check the apnea board.  like I really am hoping that this machine gives me some relief. I would be happy if it just helped my anxiety a little really. I just hate it. It has, and is, ruining my life.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:02 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The dx500t11 is an excellent machine, but it's not a DreamStation. It's a Philips Respironics System One (what we call a PRS1) so keep that in mind when you request the manual.

This is incorrect information.  The DX500T11 is the Dreamstation Auto CPAP.  The Philips Respironics System One 60 Series is the DS560xx.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:10 AM)Nash Wrote: Newbie2016 - Tell you a little self induced horror story. I was very scared that I was going to receive the old version, or something not pictured, or something used. Then after I ordered I tried to go back to the page to reread one of the reviews of the unit and the whole product page was gone! I have NEVER seen that happen on any Amazon product. The product had many many reviews on it plus several other sellers of the machine. I have bought things off of Amazon and returned years later to read reviews or check the question/answer section and never was the thing just GONE. Freaked me out to tell you the truth. Hard to spend that kind of money on something you don't even know how to use and not know for sure you are getting the right thing. 

When the machine got here I was really relieved to find that it was the white model. And it was the Auto version. I also booted it up, went into clinician mode, and checked the blower hours. From what I understand, the blower hours is kind of like the odometer of a CPAP machine. 

So after all my worry it seems like a fine machine. Although I have not been able to give it the ultimate test of actually using it because my friggin mask is lost in a snow storm! 

Oh-jeez

I had the exact concern as the picture showed the white set as well as the name & model was correct, but the extra description in brackets threw me off. 

Looks like you were right in the transition period when they took the access off.  The search pages on Dreamstation Auto Cpap show a dog!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 09:02 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The dx500t11 is an excellent machine, but it's not a DreamStation. It's a Philips Respironics System One (what we call a PRS1) so keep that in mind when you request the manual.

This is incorrect information.  The DX500T11 is the Dreamstation Auto CPAP.  The Philips Respironics System One 60 Series is the DS560xx.

For a minute there I thought you two were the same guy (Sleeprider-Sleepster) trying to mess with a sleep deprived, brain addled fool LOL. OK Sleepster, I will change it back again.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:

Oh, sorry about that. I just googled DX500T11 and the first hit was the ASA website with a photograph of a PRS1 and this caption: 

Respironics dx500t11 ( Former Model known as 560HS – REMstar Auto with humidifier and SD card)
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.