Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
OK, so I received my mask today in the mail. I set everything up and got it ready for when I was ready to sleep. I am using the following settings.

Mode = auto
Optistart = on
Ez Start = off
Auto Min = 9.0
Auto Max = 16.0

Humidification = Adaptive
Humidifier = 2
Tube Temp = 2
SmartRamp = on
Ramp Time = 0.10
Ramp Start = 4.5
Flex = A-Flex
Flex Setting = 2

Tube Type = 15H (changes automatically to 15H when I plug in tube)
Tube Type Lock = off
Mask Type = off
Mask Type Lock = off
Check Mask Fit = off

Show AHI/Fit/PB = on
Automatic On = on
Automatic Off = off

Sorry if this seems like babbling but I have had almost no sleep in the last few days and I am very tired right now. I have been pretty anxious lately and have been having a hard time getting to sleep. So maybe this had some effect on my first experience. I am not really sure. So when I seemed to start nodding off I had the machine all ready to go and I put the mask on. The first thing I noticed was the heated air which I did not particularly like. I am the type of person that is always hot and I like to breath cool crisp air. I feel kind of smothered if I am in a place where the heat is too high. I figured I could just get used to this so I continued by laying down and trying to just breathe normally. I had the auto min set to 7.0. At first it seemed fine and I kind of liked the pressure. The mask seems to fit well and does not appear to leak. After a few minutes my breathing seemed to become very shallow. The pressure seemed to have lowered and I felt like I was having to force my breath. I consciously tried to breathe some larger breaths. I actually started to wonder if the thing was even on so I hit the power/start button again. That turned it off. So I turned it back on and just tried to go to sleep. My breathing became so shallow that I started to get really anxious. I took the mask off, took some breaths and then decided to increase the min auto to 9.0. I put the mask on again and laid down. The pressure seemed to be better but still I was having a hard time with shallow breath. I sat up on the edge of the bed for about 20 minutes just trying to breathe. It did not seem to get any better and I started to get REALLY anxious. So I decided to take the mask off and write this post.

Can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong? I really want this to work. And I really need some sleep. My mouth got really dry during all this but I am assuming it was because of the anxiety. The humidifier is on adaptive. I feel like the pressure is way to low. When I was sitting on the edge of the bed trying to breathe normally I kept hitting the button to illuminate the screen so I could see what pressure it was at. I seemed to stay at about 10.5 while I was sitting there consciously breathing but that still felt very strange/unnatural.

Kind of freaking out over here.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is an adjustment to adapt to the CPAP and mask. It's good that you had a decent fit. I have never used a full face mask, so that aspect is something I would also have to adapt to. I think most of your issues relate to anxiety. The sense that air is warm is probably false. The CPAP air flows over a reservoir that is slightly heated to improve evaporation, but it starts off pretty cool and does not usually warm up until you are asleep unless you use warm water or preheat the system. The mask is under positive pressure based on your settings, and is unnoticeable unless there is a leak. Lifting the mask away from your face produces a gush of air. You may be experiencing some claustrophobia, and that should pass if you relax and give yourself time.

Don't freak out. Relax. If you really want the feeling of getting air, get a nasal pillows mask. You'll be amazed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just use your hand to feel the air blowing out of the mask vent and you will be reassured there is indeed air blowing and you won't suffocate. That will take away a bit of the anxiety.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 09:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It is an adjustment to adapt to the CPAP  and mask.  It's good that you had a decent fit.  I have never used a full face mask, so that aspect is something I would also have to adapt to.  I think most of your issues relate to anxiety.  The sense that air is warm is probably false.  The CPAP air flows over a reservoir that is slightly heated to improve evaporation, but it starts off pretty cool and does not usually warm up until you are asleep unless you use warm water or preheat the system.  The mask is under positive pressure based on your settings, and is unnoticeable unless there is a leak.  Lifting the mask away from your face produces a gush of air.  You may be experiencing some claustrophobia, and that should pass if you relax and give yourself time.

Don't freak out.  Relax.  If you really want the feeling of getting air, get a nasal pillows mask.  You'll be amazed.

Hi Sleeprider, yeah like a knucklehead I used the preheat function. I was messing with the settings and was curious about it. I won't do that again. I thought maybe it was the heated hose, I wasn't sure. 

"The mask is under positive pressure based on your settings, and is unnoticeable unless there is a leak." So I should not really feel much pressure then? I was a bit concerned because I wondered what happened if I stopped breathing. Does it then shoot up the pressure? Maybe I am expecting it to do too much. 

I just tried it again a few minutes ago with the same result. Do you think I should set it back down to min auto 7.0? Just so I have it straight.. it should not help me breathe right? I should just breathe normally? Then what happens when asleep and I stop breathing? Does it then force more pressure into my airway? 

The reason I did not go with a nasal mask is that I am always congested and I have always breathed out of my mouth. I wake up every 2 hours or so with terrible dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 09:23 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Just use your hand to feel the air blowing out of the mask vent and you will be reassured there is indeed air blowing and you won't suffocate. That will take away a bit of the anxiety.

Hi Newbee2016, that was actually another question I had. Is air supposed to constantly come out of that vent on the front of the mask? 

Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply
A CPAP provides a fixed amount of pressure to open your airway keeping soft tissues in your throat from collapsing. It does nothing to help you breath...it is not a ventilator. When you hear us talk about ASV (adaptive servo ventilator) machines on the forum, those are specialized machines that increase the pressure during inhale by 8-12 cm, and those will do the work of respiration; yours won't. Again, it is meant to keep your throat from closing so you can breath using your normal spontaneous respiratory effort. The reason for increasing pressure is if you actually feel your throat closing up, or you have excessive obstructive apnea.

With regard to nasal pillows, past behavior does not predict ability to breath through your nose. I can use nasal pillows even with a severe cold, sinus infection or allergy because the pressure relieves the obstruction (congestion). I love breathing through my nose at night, even though I often mouth breath during the day and probably used to at night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a constant pressure of 10 and did feel the pressure. It was a little uncomfortable. When I switched to APAP with low and high pressures of 8 and 14 it was a new world. Now I'm not aware of the pressure when I go to sleep. I actually had the same concern that there was no flow but feeling the air flow from the vent assured me there was. The data graphs confirm that the pressure automatically ramps up as needed. I'm asleep then and don't notice it. I also use a full face mask.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
In my first 3-4 days, I was on a pressure of 5, and I felt like it was such a strong force trying to interfere with my breathing passageways. I felt claustrophobic. I would tear the mask off and toss if to the ground.

After a week or so, I felt like I couldn't even tell if the mask was on and if there was any pressure.

And by the 2nd week or so, I felt like I wasn't getting enough air (pressure).

So it's a *real* thing to have to get adjusted to. Those feelings were all gradual for me. It sounds like you're experiencing those feelings all at the same time. It's totally ok. You will adjust and eventually get used to it.

In the beginning, I had to tell myself (in the most recent Star Wars movie way) "I am one with my mask; my mask is one with me."

Oh, and I am sensitive to heated breath, too. Maybe turn the heater on your humidifier and the hose off/down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, was a mouth breather. But somehow the nasal mask is more comfortable for me to use then the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 10:08 AM)Melman Wrote: I started out with a constant pressure of 10 and did feel the pressure. It was a little uncomfortable. When I switched to APAP with low and high pressures of 8 and 14 it was a new world. Now I'm not aware of the pressure when I go to sleep. I actually had the same concern that there was no flow but feeling the air flow from the vent assured me there was. The data graphs confirm that the pressure automatically ramps up as needed. I'm asleep then and don't notice it. I also use a full face mask.

This makes me feel like less of an idiot. Thank you Melman.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 190 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.