Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
Oh I see, because my pressure just goes to 16 and stays there. Duh. Will that ever come down from treatment?

I noticed something last night. I was trying to keep my neck straight and breathe only through my nose. I could inhale ok but could not exhale at all. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling. If I wanted to try a nose mask, do you think the machine would actually provide enough pressure to open this obstruction? I breathe primarily through my mouth at night. Is it worth it to try and train myself to breathe through my nose even though I seem to have such a bad obstruction breathing that way? 

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, still learning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 02:10 PM)Nash Wrote: Well I can't believe it but I slept on my side for about 5 hours. It might be psychological but I feel great. 

Yay!!!!!  You rock!!!!!!!  Way to go!

It has been so strange and disorienting for me to have a brain that can think clearly, and to not feel exhausted. But hey, I'll take it. I really don't think it's psychological; I think it's just how people feel when they get proper sleep and oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 11:17 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(03-07-2017, 02:10 PM)Nash Wrote: Well I can't believe it but I slept on my side for about 5 hours. It might be psychological but I feel great. 

Yay!!!!!  You rock!!!!!!!  Way to go!

It has been so strange and disorienting for me to have a brain that can think clearly, and to not feel exhausted. But hey, I'll take it. I really don't think it's psychological; I think it's just how people feel when they get proper sleep and oxygen.

Thanks Hydrangea! I think you may be right about it being proper sleep. I thought maybe it was a placebo effect or something. Whatever it is I got a lot of stuff done today lol. Had a lot of energy. The fact I woke up without a headache is astounding. That hasn't happened in a LONG time. People always tell me I should own stock in Excedrin. The not peeing for 5 and a half hours straight was another thing that blew my mind. I would not have believed it if I had not looked at the data. I am pretty sure I couldn't have slept walked to the washroom as I would have been tethered to the machine. I am really looking forward to seeing what a week of this will be like. Or a month etc.. If it is anything like today was it might really help me. 

I also had noticeably less anxiety today. Without taking of any kind of pill or anything. Which is amazing. I hope it continues but hey, I am grateful for one great day anyway. 

I really want to learn more about apnea in general. The differenced in the types etc. I have been reading the forum and the SleepyHead guide today. I am trying to find the right material to read. Do you, or anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks for the great emotional support, it really does mean a lot to me. It can be tough when you are completely on your own especially without medical support. Anyway, it really has helped. Also very grateful for all the technical support here. You guys are the best!
Post Reply Post Reply
See the link at the top for the Wiki to find more reading.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Super awesome!!!

The morning I came home from 6 (?) hours of sleep at my titrated sleep study (on the CPAP for the 1st time), I was like the energizer bunny all day long! LOL 2 months later, it's still so weird to me - I get so much done, and it's only 9:30 in the morning. Very weird!
Post Reply Post Reply
Third night with mask. So I was able fall asleep with the mask on again. Meditation is really helping me with the anxiety of the mask. This time I had a very difficult time with leaking. I could not get in a good position on my side and I think I rolled over on my back after the first hour or so. I woke up having to use the washroom after about 3 hours. Went back to sleep but had very difficult time with leaking, it woke me up a few times. Finally could not stand the leaking anymore and took the mask off.

I woke up again without a headache! Two days in a row unheard of. Even though I still felt tired, my anxiety level was way down. I also noticed that my breathing is much better.

I looked at some pillows on Amazon (for sleeping on my side) but I just can't spend $60 for a pillow. I will try something different with the pillows I have tonight.

I am not sure why the mask leaked so badly tonight as opposed to last night. I cleaned it well and washed my face before sleeping. I had it VERY tightly strapped to my face. Today I made my own mask liner out of an old T-shirt and some shock cord. It works pretty good and I will try it tonight.

Here is the screenshot of last night. I am posting my progress and screenshots so that maybe you all can stop me if I am doing something stupid. Other than that I should just keep going and try to minimize leaking, right?.. Right??

Any advice or comments on anything much appreciated. Thanks for all the help. I am feeling more and more confident with this crazy thing. Have been reading the Wiki as suggested, great info.

[Image: WG2fMnUl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
These results are acceptable, although I think there is still some adapting and improvement to come. Your leak rate looks fine to me. I think you might go ahead and increase the minimum pressure to 8.5 and the maximum pressure to 17 and we can see if it improves the hypopnea and RERA. As you can see you have quite a bit of RERA until your machine comes up to pressure. Your OA is very good. If you're anxious about the pressure, just leave things the same for now, but when you feel you have gotten reasonably comfortable with the therapy and using the mask, increasing pressure is in your future.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go!!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!

I'm learning how to tweak masks to not leak. I think some masks leak more when they're too tight... so you may consider loosening it. I've heard that the CPAP pressure helps seal the mask to your face, so the straps are just to keep it in the general area. I'm not a pro on this (and thankfully the Dreamwear is very forgiving, so I only have to do this experimentation when I feel like using a FFM).

You're getting the hang of it!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 05:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: These results are acceptable, although I think there is still some adapting and improvement to come. Your leak rate looks fine to me.  I think you might go ahead and increase the minimum pressure to 8.5 and the maximum pressure to 17 and we can see if it improves the hypopnea and RERA.  As you can see you have quite a bit of RERA until your machine comes up to pressure. Your OA is very good.   If you're anxious about the pressure, just leave things the same for now, but when you feel you have gotten reasonably comfortable with the therapy and using the mask, increasing pressure is in your future.

I will increase the pressures. It is not necessarily the pressure that bothers me but more the claustrophobia of the mask I think. I should be fine. 

Thanks Sleeprider!

(03-08-2017, 06:16 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Way to go!!!!!!  You should be so proud of yourself!

I'm learning how to tweak masks to not leak. I think some masks leak more when they're too tight... so you may consider loosening it.  I've heard that the CPAP pressure helps seal the mask to your face, so the straps are just to keep it in the general area.  I'm not a pro on this (and thankfully the Dreamwear is very forgiving, so I only have to do this experimentation when I feel like using a FFM).

You're getting the hang of it!!!

Hi Hydrangea! I never thought of that. Now that you mention it I did adjust the mask tighter right before I went to bed. I could not lay in a position where it would not touch the mask so I tightened it up. I will loosen it back to where it was the first night. I also have my beautiful new homemade mask liner LOL. It is not very attractive but it works perfectly. I am hoping that makes a little difference. 

I dug up some very firm pillows and I am going to try some different positions tonight. I may need 345 specialty items to be able to sleep but dang it I will do what it takes.  Smile

I was considering getting a nose mask and maybe wearing a strap to keep my mouth closed. I have this fear that the pressure will not open my airway enough as I am very obstructed. Do you like your nasal mask? Which one do you use?

Thanks and have a great night!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hahaha. I totally get it!  I just got in the mail a cover for my hose and a liner for the FFM I experiment with. I feel so fancy!

Yes, I love the DreamWear mask. It rests under my nose, and the hose hooks up at the top of my head. I think it's as unintrusive as possible. I don't feel chlostrophobic at all with it.  And now that I've figured out which size fits me best, I don't get any leaking when I roll over and smush my face against my pillow. 

I thought I was a mouth breather, but I've adapted quickly to the DreamWear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 295 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.