Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
Some of the online retailers also have a return policy for new masks, so you might want to check that out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea how you went from a normal tidal volume to an average of 1100 mL with huge breathing spikes at regular intervals through the night, but don't do it again.   Dont-know

That's some crazy form of periodic breathing I've never seen before, and it's not your normal. Doesn't look fun or restful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 08:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have no idea how you went from a normal tidal volume to an average of 1100 mL with huge breathing spikes at regular intervals through the night, but don't do it again.   Dont-know

That's some crazy form of periodic breathing I've never seen before, and it's not your normal. Doesn't look fun or restful.

I just assumed it was leakage. I might have rolled over and slept on my back I don't know. It is very frustrating because I can't breathe on my back but I can't keep the mask from leaking on my side. 

It most certainly was not restful. When I woke up I almost threw the mask at the wall. I really don't know what to do. I guess I will try sleeping in a propped up position tonight. It is not comfortable but if I can get a few hours with the mask on it might be worth it. 

Would you keep using the mask/machine even with the leaking?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to this forum but have been a CPAP user for over 10 years.  I've just read all of this post and want to thank you for your honesty about the anxiety that the new user has and how you have been slowly adapting with ups and downs.  I think too often people think that they will put on the mask and have perfect nights sleeping from then on  (just like the smiling people on the mask ads, love them)  I remember struggling like you have - I am another anxiety sufferer (though cpap and paxil have pretty much done away with it!)  I now cannot sleep without the mask.  I actually had anxiety during a trip to India where they rolling power blackouts at night.

Its not surprising that when you finally got 4 or 5 hours sleep, your body decided that was plenty.  Give it time, your body will figure it out.

I understand you can't afford it now, but I love the Wisp mask which I have used for over a year, maybe two.  I am a mouth breather at night but I tape my mouth with 3M  (see elsewhere on the forum) and I can now sleep on my back which is a real treat for a former very loud snorer.

Wisp mask:  http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/pr...nasal-mask

Anyone who has anxiety knows how amazing it is that you have gotten to the point of using it in bed for 5 hours.

You can do it !!   don't give up !!!!!

-Ellen
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep going. You're doing great. It is ALL an adjustment.

I had the chest weirdness for a couple days, as my chest got used to the breathing.

I threw my mask on the ground at least once during the first week. I also defiantely tucked it under my pillow in the middle of the night, promising myself I'd put it on again "later" (later never came that night LOL). But every night I considered a success, because I'd tried. <3

After a couple weeks, and especially once I realized my too-low pressure (4-5) was contributing to my anxiety by not giving me as much air as I needed), and I adjusted my pressure a tad higher... I began to actually like the therapy.

It'll come. Give it time. And keep trying. Any bit helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 09:36 PM)ellenos Wrote: I am new to this forum but have been a CPAP user for over 10 years.  I've just read all of this post and want to thank you for your honesty about the anxiety that the new user has and how you have been slowly adapting with ups and downs.  I think too often people think that they will put on the mask and have perfect nights sleeping from then on  (just like the smiling people on the mask ads, love them)  I remember struggling like you have - I am another anxiety sufferer (though cpap and paxil have pretty much done away with it!)  I now cannot sleep without the mask.  I actually had anxiety during a trip to India where they rolling power blackouts at night.

Its not surprising that when you finally got 4 or 5 hours sleep, your body decided that was plenty.  Give it time, your body will figure it out.

I understand you can't afford it now, but I love the Wisp mask which I have used for over a year, maybe two.  I am a mouth breather at night but I tape my mouth with 3M  (see elsewhere on the forum) and I can now sleep on my back which is a real treat for a former very loud snorer.

Wisp mask:  http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/pr...nasal-mask

Anyone who has anxiety knows how amazing it is that you have gotten to the point of using it in bed for 5 hours.

You can do it !!   don't give up !!!!!

-Ellen

Thanks for the very kind words ellenos. I am just a bit overwhelmed right now but I am not giving up. Seems like I am either so anxious that I can barely move or so angry that I want to throw the mask. It really helps to know others have overcome this horrible anxiety. I have just had it for SOOO LONG. I think the first day really gave me hope and then all of a sudden nothing was right. 

I will take a look at that mask and thanks again. It means a lot to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 09:46 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Keep going. You're doing great. It is ALL an adjustment.

I had the chest weirdness for a couple days, as my chest got used to the breathing.

I threw my mask on the ground at least once during the first week.  I also defiantely tucked it under my pillow in the middle of the night, promising myself I'd put it on again "later" (later never came that night LOL).  But every night I considered a success, because I'd tried. <3

After a couple weeks, and especially once I realized my too-low pressure (4-5) was contributing to my anxiety by not giving me as much air as I needed), and I adjusted my pressure a tad higher... I began to actually like the therapy.

It'll come. Give it time. And keep trying. Any bit helps.

Hi Hydragea, I am not giving up I am just aggravated is all. I can't give up anyway, it cost too much money to give up LOL. Plus it is my last hope really. It has gotten so bad over the years that I am pretty much incapacitated now. I have lost everything. So I can't afford to give up really. 

I hid the mask under the pillow too LOL. I said the same thing also.. I will put it on later. I have that same problem you talk about. I don't like the weak pressure at first. I want the thing to be at a higher pressure when I first put it on. I don't like that feeling of forcing my breath. I actually like the pressure. I am claustrophobic about the mask, not the pressure. Not sure if that means changing the minimum pressure? 

Anyway, I am not giving up. I was just trying to figure out if it is OK to keep using the mask even if it continues to leak. Or if I should wait until I get another mask.

I really appreciate your support. You can't know what it means to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I don't like the weak pressure at first. I want the thing to be at a higher pressure when I first put it on. I don't like that feeling of forcing my breath. I actually like the pressure. I am claustrophobic about the mask, not the pressure. Not sure if that means changing the minimum pressure or turning off the smart ramp?

The ramp is there to ease you up to the minimum therapeutic pressure. It's a "comfort feature" - you don't have to have it on if you prefer not to. If you enjoy the sensation of pressure then turn the ramp off and/or try bumping up your minimum a bit.  Your pressure is building rapidly to near maximum, so you can help it on its way.  Just make one change at a time and see how it goes.

Like everybody has said, it's a matter of adapting - which usually takes some time.  This is not a one night stand, it's a journey. And a journey which is often two steps forward and one step back. Stick at it - you'll get there!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, if you like the pressure, then quit the ramp. Or make your starting ramp pressure higher.

Since my min pressure is 6, and I'm very comfortable with that, I just press On and I'm good to go. Any lower, and it makes me hate the whole thing.

Leaks... who cares? Some (cpap therapy) is better than none! You'll figure out the leaks as you go forward. The new Mask Primer has some tips on figuring out leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 04:17 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Yeah, if you like the pressure, then quit the ramp. Or make your starting ramp pressure higher.

Since my min pressure is 6, and I'm very comfortable with that, I just press On and I'm good to go.  Any lower, and it makes me hate the whole thing.

Leaks... who cares?  Some (cpap therapy) is better than none!  You'll figure out the leaks as you go forward.  The new Mask Primer has some tips on figuring out leaks.

Taking your advice and just going to continue with leaks. I turned the Auto Ramp=off. I tried to put a bunch of pillows on the bed and sleep in an upright position. I just don't seem to be able to do it. If I lay on my back, tilted or not, I can not breathe through my nose at all. I slept on my side for about 3 hours. Below is the data. You will be happy to know that I did not throw the mask like a jackass.   Oh-jeez

I still get this weird breathing problem right when I put on the mask. I actually stop breathing while still awake as I am waiting to fall asleep. It is very uncomfortable and wakes me up as I drift off to sleep. You can see it in the data after about 15 mins. At the lower pressures I seem to kind of "forget" to breathe. 

I turned off the Auto Ramp. I am not sure what I should change my minimum pressure to. Can someone suggest a setting for me? I am currently at 8.5-17. I was thinking maybe 10?

Thanks

[Image: jzzwRUnl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.