Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
RE: Newbie Desperate for General Help - Introduction
Nash, could you post a close-up image of what is going on with that flow line at the beginning of therapy. No more than 1.5 minutes where those big flow spikes are separated by CA and H events. I'm getting pretty close to concluding you minimum pressure needs to be 12, but I'd like to see what is going on there around 6:30 or 6:40.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 09:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nash, could you post a close-up image of what is going on with that flow line at the beginning of therapy. No more than 1.5 minutes where those big flow spikes are separated by CA and H events.  I'm getting pretty close to concluding you minimum pressure needs to be 12, but I'd like to see what is going on there around 6:30 or 6:40.

If that is not right let me know. TY

[Image: JMv0akRl.png]

[Image: 2x7cGCzl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think you were sleeping at this time? It looks more like disrupted sleep at first glance, with some tossing, turning and breath holding and breathing variations. FWIW it does not look like a CSR pattern and events are very short.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 06:44 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Do you think you were sleeping at this time?  It looks more like disrupted sleep at first glance, with some tossing, turning and breath holding and breathing variations.  FWIW it does not look like a CSR pattern and events are very short.

Pretty sure I was in between awake and asleep. 

Below is last nights data. I went ahead and changed the min pressure to 12. I just wanted to see what it was like. The beggining pressure was much more comfortable. One thing I really don't understand is the leak rate. Can any of this data be accurate with a leak rate that high? What is an acceptable leak rate? Should I leave the min. pressure at 12? Thanks so much!

[Image: 2XfhVmVl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks so much better! It could be the lower pressure is far enough out of your range that your anxiety as causing tose problems. Your leakd rate is fine. Keep in mind the Philips machines report total leak and estimate the design leak (lower line). Your profile shows you're using an Airfit F10 mask. Make sure your mask resistance is X0 or X1. As you can see on the chart, a large leak did not occur. The large leak threshold is settable in Sleepyhead by going to File/Preferences/CPAP tab. The checkbox to calculate unintentional leaks is there. You can use the Resmed F10 Technical specifications on page 7 here to adjust the setting http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf . At 4 cm pressure design leak is 22 cm and at 20 cm design leak is 54 L/min. You can input those values to Sleepyhead to fine-tune the leak charts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 02:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That looks so much better!  It could be the lower pressure is far enough out of your range that your anxiety as causing tose problems.  Your leakd rate is fine.  Keep in mind the Philips machines report total leak and estimate the design leak (lower line).  Your profile shows you're using an Airfit F10 mask.  Make sure your mask resistance is X0 or X1.  As you can see on the chart, a large leak did not occur.  The large leak threshold is settable in Sleepyhead by going to File/Preferences/CPAP tab.  The checkbox to calculate unintentional leaks is there.  You can use the Resmed F10 Technical specifications on page 7 here to adjust the setting http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf .  At 4 cm pressure design leak is 22 cm and at 20 cm design leak is 54 L/min.  You can input those values to Sleepyhead to fine-tune the leak charts.

"Make sure your mask resistance is X0 or X1." Sleeprider I can't find that setting is that the same thing as Mask Type? If it is I have that set to off. 

I am confused, please bear with me. A few posts ago you said that my leak rate was "outta sight". Now my leak rate is higher and you say it is fine. Maybe I am reading it wrong. 

Thanks for your patience and expertise!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure you had a past image with large leaks, particularly that night you had a lot of sleep disturbance and very irregular breathing. I honestly don't recall. The latest leaks are averaging 26 mL and have a 95% around 45. That is below the large leak threshold at your pressure. I think it would be great to reduce the leaks, but if they don't bother you, they don't bother me.

The mask resistance number should work fine at off using a Resmed mask. The equivalent Respironics FFM would use a Resistance of 1. Shouldn't make much difference. If you calibrate the Sleepyhead leak rate as described in my last post, it should flag any large leak correctly. Anyway, your results look much better with the higher starting pressure. Let's not lose sight of the positive progress.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 06:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm pretty sure you had a past image with large leaks, particularly that night you had a lot of sleep disturbance and very irregular breathing.  I honestly don't recall.  The latest leaks are averaging 26 mL and have a 95% around 45.   That is below the large leak threshold at your pressure.  I think it would be great to reduce the leaks, but if they don't bother you, they don't bother me.  

The mask resistance number should work fine at off using a Resmed mask.  The equivalent Respironics FFM would use a Resistance  of 1.  Shouldn't make much difference.  If you calibrate the Sleepyhead leak rate as described in my last post, it should flag any large leak correctly.  Anyway, your results look much better with the higher starting pressure.  Let's not lose sight of the positive progress.

Ah yes, I see it now. I confused leak rate with large leak. My newbieness is showing. The leaking didn't bother me a bit last night. I used my mask liner which makes it much better also. You are right about the anxiety. I am far less anxious starting with a higher pressure. I felt like it was stealing my breath before.

I will just leave the mask resistence off unless you really think I should mess with it. I don't fully understand it anyway. I looked it up in the Wiki but I can't find it. I will attempt to calibrate the SleepyHead leak rate so it flags the larger leaks. I would be happy if I can just get some time under my belt with these settings. I think I can get used to it now. 

Thanks Sleeprider, you are the best!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2017, 07:28 PM)Nash Wrote: You are right about the anxiety. I am far less anxious starting with a higher pressure. I felt like it was stealing my breath before.

That's EXACTLY how I felt too!!!! 

P.S.  I told my sleep dr about it (the anxiety, the claustrophobia, the feeling of need to breathe through mouth for a couple big breaths or to yawn)... and he did not care one iota.  I was kinda P*ssed (at him) when I raised the pressure and it completely resolved the problem.  Anywhoo... just a good reminder that we are our own best advocates!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2017, 10:58 PM)Nash Wrote: I think the first day really gave me hope and then all of a sudden nothing was right. 

For many of us, it had to get worse before it got better. Sleeping with all that apparatus attached to the face is something that takes time to get used to. It's definitely worth the effort, though, so don't give up. I guarantee you'll be happy you stuck with it.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.