Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11
Newbie DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11
Hi Folks!

A newbie here. I would like to buy Philips DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11 as I gave up in insurance. 

I suffer from mild apnea, and It my case in worsening.

I have a few inquiries:
  1. Is BiPAP better than CPAP? 
  2. Any experience with DreamStation DSX700T11?
  3. Do anything else beside the equipment? filters, masks, etc?
Many thanks in advace!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11
The Dreamstation 700 series is the update to the Philips Respironics DS760P Auto BiPAP which I own.  The algorithms, as far as I know are identical. It is a superior auto bilevel with variable EPAP, IPAP and Pressure support.  I get much better treatment with bilevel, than auto CPAP, but it really depends on what you're trying to resolve. With CPAP, you only have one pressure to work with to improve ocygenation and hold the airway patent, whereas with bilevel, you have two pressures that add the capability to improve ventilation and reduce CO2.  CPAP works great for most with obstructive apnea, while bilevel adds in the ability to deal with issues like UARS, COPD, and comfort for people using higher pressures.   This tutorial may help you understand better:

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi que0x,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy and also with getting a machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the information, and you wishes.

I'm looking forward to getting it. I'm also wondering do I need anything beside the decide? 
Also I read posts mentioning wasp masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
Que0x,

I am a newbie to APAP with limited experience, so take all my advice with a (big) grain of salt.

As you read around the forum, you will find that the big issue appears to be masks.

Basically there are three types: Full Face Mask (FFM or F) - covers nose and mouth, Nasal Mask (N) - just covers nose, and Nasal Pillows (P) - just seals around base of nostrils.

I know that I am NOT a mouth breather, so I tried a Nasal mask and Nasal Pillows. I am trialing the Fisher & Paykell Brevida Nasal Pillow mask. While I was originally a bit concerned (OK Freaked out) about having something stuck up my nose, I found it fit well with no leaks first night. When I switched to the F&P Eson 2 Nasal Mask, I found I had a few more leaks when I tried to sleep on my side. Could easily be a newbie not knowing how to adjust straps and mask properly.

Each mask fits and feels different. Lucky for me I am in the trial stage with my supplier, so will also be trying the ResMed AirFit P10, and a couple more Nasal masks.

If you find a supplier in your area, hopefully you can trial several before you have to purchase.

Good Luck, and hope you get a good night sleeeeeep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input Snoopy.pa30!
Post Reply Post Reply
read this thread,  it should help
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
I was initially on BiPap with fixed pressures, mainly because I would almost have panic attacks breathing against the high pressures when exhaling. The BiPap allowed easier breathing outward by lowering that pressure, so it worked to make it more comfortable. Then my second machine was an auto BiPap and when I saw my new pulmonologist he said there was no reason, with my pressures, that an AUTO CPAP wouldn't work as well. I was a little hesitant, but decided to give the Resmed Airsense Auto 10 a try. I found the machine to be incredible. It starts out with minimal pressure until it senses you are asleep. The expiration relief is as good as a BiPap in terms of comfort. It was also my first machine with a heated hose. My pressure is only about 10 or so, so not that high. The only caveat is that some people need a BiPap for clinical reasons, whereas I needed it for comfort.

The new machines are quite an advance from earlier ones. I also have a portable HDM Z1 for travel and it took some getting used to as it starts out at higher pressures and has a more antiquated ramp mode, but after a week or so I found I could handle it. Biggest issue is the lack of a humidifier and the little foam things that are supposed to retain moisture as you exhale are worthless in my opinion. Mainly, I wanted it for the size when traveling. Good Luck!  Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, yes BiPAP is better than a CPAP unit. I tried CPAP, likely a previous generation Philips Respironics and a full mask due to my mouth breathing. Sorry I don't remember the models of these as it was 2 years ago. CPAP wasn't going to work, I couldn't breathe out with the setting of 18, doc wanted 20. I am still an extremely high AHI patient.

At that time, I went another direction altogether. I went for bariatric surgery to reduce weight. Between my 2 sleep studies over the past 2 years, I've lost 100#. Very successful in that BTW. But I've still got OSA, and now a recent diagnosis of COPD. So I got a referral from my primary care doctor to do a new sleep study and try for a BiPAP. 

The BiPAP is the Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP and humidifier. I chose a Respironics Amara View mask. So far so good. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm certainly doing better in usage than a CPAP. 

My settings are 15 IPAP 10 EPAP and the auto can vary that up to those numbers. The ramp function is nice because you set the beginning pressure to as low as 9/4. Mine always has these as an exhale relief A.K.A. EPAP of 5 less than the IPAP. Note this can be due to my Flex setting, which I've chosen 3, the highest of 1-3.

For me a big plus on my DreamStation, IT IS QUIET! I can't hear it, period. Mine has firmware 1.1.1, this can be important as mine does dim the display correctly out of the box.

Note that mine is an insurance rental until 13 months, so some of my features are likely blocked right now. But every setting I can access just adds to my experience using the DreamStation so much better even my first attempt.

Questions, etc. Post and I'll answer.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Folks!
Just an update. I've bought the philips DreamStation Auto CPAP ( NOT BIPAP) and tried it for one month. As it was my first experience with CPAP I was very impressed with the results! I really slept better, something I didn't experience for decades.

However, I received later an AirSense 10. I have to admit the AirSense did a better job. It seems to me that the later has better algorithms in detecting apnea. I will stick with AirSense for now.
It's worth mentioning that I have the latest software update on the DreamStation.

Best wishes!
Que0x
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 187 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 440 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 237 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.