Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11
RE: Newbie DreamStation Auto BiPAP with humidifier and heated tube DSX700T11
Hi again,

************ Please note the I also disabled the comfort settings (C-FLEX) on the Dreamstation as well. It delivered much better results after then. *******

This is an update after one month use of AirSense 10 (Autoset/Elite):

1. I still got apneas. either hypopnea or central. I can't really tell, but it sucks!
2. I activated the climate control, and had heated tubing. Didn't help either.
3. I disabled the EPR. I have had experienced less apneas since then.

After switching between AirSense and DreamStation I decided to stick to DreamStation for the following reasons:
1. Less apneas, actually almost none.
2. Quieter.
3. If feel less tired during the day. Not sure because of the aggressiveness of AirSense. AirSense waked me up every time it detected an apnea. It "over-reacts" in my opinion.

Both machines are set to use Auto-CPAP (pressure from 4-20).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 07:14 AM)que0x Wrote: Hi again,

************ Please note the I also disabled the comfort settings (C-FLEX) on the Dreamstation as well. It delivered much better results after then. *******

This is an update after one month use of AirSense 10 (Autoset/Elite):

The AutoSet and the Elite are two different machines.  The Elite is a straight pressure Cpap.  Which were you using? Also, your thread title suggests you are using a Bipap, but your posts suggest Auto Cpap. Which is Correct?

1. I still got apneas. either hypopnea or central. I can't really tell, but it sucks!

Disabling the EPR usually brings the Clear Airway events down.

After switching between AirSense and DreamStation I decided to stick to DreamStation for the following reasons:
1. Less apneas, actually almost none.
2. Quieter.
3. If feel less tired during the day. Not sure because of the aggressiveness of AirSense. AirSense waked me up every time it detected an apnea. It "over-reacts" in my opinion.

Unless I’ve missed something, you haven’t said what your AHi is.  It is good that you are feeling less tired during the day, and yes the ResMed machines have a more aggressive algorithm than PR machines.

Both machines are set to use Auto-CPAP (pressure from 4-20).

This is a wide open pressure range and for most folk is not optimal.  My suggestion is based on Auto Cpap not Bipap. Please clarify what you are using.
If you look at what your 90% reading is, you can set a range surrounding that number, usually a good start is to set the minimum pressure  2cm below  and the maximum pressure 2cm above the 90% number.

I suggest that you download the #SleepyHead software so you can tract your data and progress. This way you will be able to see exactly what Apnea events you are having.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:1. I still got apneas. either hypopnea or central. I can't really tell, but it sucks! 

We need to add to this.  With EPR on, and the pressure range set from 4-20, obstructive apnea and hypopnea will be increased, and the incidence of central apnea may also be increased to the the variable pressure.  Using EPR with a pressure range that begins at 3, means that when the machine detects the need to increase pressure, it cannot increase EPAP until the EPR effect is overcome, i.e. with EPR at 3, the pressure will increase 4/4, 5/4, 6/3, 7/4, and only once pressure rises above the minimum CPAP pressure.  It is EPAP that must rise to prevent OA.  Such settings greatly undermine your therapy.  It makes sense that reducing EPR reduced events for this user, however, EPR may not be a cause of events due to poorly structures pressure settings along with EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If
(10-05-2017, 07:54 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
Quote:1. I still got apneas. either hypopnea or central. I can't really tell, but it sucks! 

We need to add to this.  With EPR on, and the pressure range set from 4-20, obstructive apnea and hypopnea will be increased, and the incidence of central apnea may also be increased to the the variable pressure.  Using EPR with a pressure range that begins at 3, means that when the machine detects the need to increase pressure, it cannot increase EPAP until the EPR effect is overcome, i.e. with EPR at 3, the pressure will increase 4/4, 5/4, 6/3, 7/4, and only once pressure rises above the minimum CPAP pressure.  It is EPAP that must rise to prevent OA.  Such settings greatly undermine your therapy.  It makes sense that reducing EPR reduced events for this user, however, EPR may not be a cause of events due to poorly structures pressure settings along with EPR.

Just to clarify:  Post #11 suggests he is using the DreamStation, so we are talking Flex not EPR.
Although the same principal, but does not work in quite the same way.

And, I’m on the same page as you.  EPR/FLEX may or may not be the cause of CA events, and yes, his settings  of 4-20 are less than optimal, which is why I suggested downloading #SleepyHead software.

We are only quessing without seeing data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opalrose! I missed that he switched machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 187 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 203 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.