Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Getting Sleepier!
Newbie Getting Sleepier!
I am new to this and admittedly, worried that my CPAP will be a $600 (copayment) wasted on a new door stop! I have used it consistently since my pickup last Friday 10/7/14, so I only have 7 days of My Air data. Initially my AHI dropped to 2 per hour, but has started climbing up to 4.9. I understand these are still low numbers, and this is so very new. I am concerned because I have noticed an increase in daytime sleepiness. I was NOT expecting a decrease so early, but a trend reversal is a bit alarming. It is important to note that I wake up feeling good and rested. I just "space out" around mid-morning, or lunch time. I checked my blood sugars so it's not that or my BP (have a BP arm cuff style monitor).

I raised these concerns via a call to the sleep clinic today. I spoke with an unfamiliar clinician who said it was too early and it takes 30 days to see an effect. When I stressed, I understood improvement takes time, but shouldn't deterioration also take time? She said I should call again if needed. I am significantly more sleepy, took a nap instead of walking at lunch yesterday, etc...

My questions for this community:

Any experience with trend reversals?
How long is long enough to adapt?
Any tips on what I should expect during my transition?

I noticed last night that it felt warm with the face mask and chin strap, so k turned the ceiling fan on. I am not giving up yet, I just don't know when to push, or when I am just being an over reactive nervous Nellie!
Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Getting Sleepier!
It would help to have something more to work from. What pressure(s) are you using? What mode (Autoset, autoset for her, CPAP)? What is the breakdown of your AHI?

Strongly recommend you download #Sleepyhead so you have more detailed information and can see any patterns where AHI is higher or lower during the night. Also, be sure to request your Setup Manual from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

It's normal to still feel fatigue for a while after starting therapy but if your AHI is headed the wrong direction, we may be able to help you turn that around with more detail. Get the software and manual, and post a few more details.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dr Pearl. Welcome to the Apnea Board. I second Sleeprider's suggestions. In particular the part about using the Sleepyhead software. You will be able to get a much better handle on what is causing problems in your treatment when you (and we) can see the graphs made visible by the software. There are any number of variables that can reduce the efficacy of your treatment. These can include mask leaks, sleep position, pressure settings, having the correct machine and more. Once we can see the output of the software people with experiences like yours can begin making suggestions for solutions to problems just like yours based on their own experience.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a brand new ResMed 10 AutoSet for Her with the Heated Climatine hose. Everything is on the auto settings, including ramp up. I have an early December appointment for the sleep clinic to view the SD card data and make changes in my settings. (I will have my Thyroid removed in Mid-November and they said some settings could change as my throat changes). I turned the Humidity from 4 down to 3 after choking /snorting water from the Nasal Pillows (If I had not personally filled it with distilled water, I would have sworn it was Chlorine water from a swimming pool). I am returning to using the nasal spray Rx, so that should help. Waking up, I noticed that the CPAP is normally 11 to 11.x for readings. One night I thought it was at 13.??.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't wait until December to figure out what is going on. Install the Sleepyhead software and download the from your SD card now.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I will get the software, manuals etc and work on that over the weekend. I had initially requested an appointment when I phoned today. I read lots of forum comments about the SD card so I know this can be done without corrupting the data for diagnostic purposes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good going.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DrPearl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I want to encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy. It takes some time to get used to it and/or notice improvements, so just stick with it, over some time, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you on your CPAP journey and with your upcoming appointment and surgery.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, I am adding a few more nights of data before analyzing mine. I thought last night was my worst, but "MyAir" gave me 99 out of 100 pts total. I find the chin strap too hot, so slept without it. I woke up several times from painfully dry throat, and had to drink water each time. Tonight I will try lining the strap with paper towels, so two more nights of data. I am guessing 10 consecutive nights of data should provide some direction. Is that enough time, or am I getting ahead of myself.

V/r,
DrP
Post Reply Post Reply
I think at this point you have some meaningful trends. What is your leak rate on Sleepyhead? Your comments make me thing that could be an issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.