Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Greetings to the Apnea Nation
RE: Newbie Greetings to the Apnea Nation
Adding my warm welcome to Apnea Board.

You've come to the right Apnea forum if you like coffee. Apnea, sleep issues, and coffee are likely our top 3 discussions. Now what could possibly be preventing good sleep?

And a CDL holder too? Well I used to drive regional tractor trailer runs for 11 years until the back got messed up badly.

OK back to your regular scheduled Apnea assistance.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
azpapa:

I'm lucky to have found this board early. I'm just starting, and I've had pretty good success so far. The people at Supplier #1 were very helpful and provided several suggestions that I would've expected to get from the sleep Dr. or therapist. I've discovered that the way things are these days you can no longer depend upon the 'professionals' to tell you what you need to know. Everything in general is watered down these days, and healthcare is no exception.

I talked to my insurance company on Friday, and they said they WILL reimburse me for a portion of my costs. So cool beans. Although they said they would've covered 100% if I had went through the DME.... even though they would have to pay the DME more than they would have to pay me for buying in cash. There really is something wrong with that picture, and it's the reason healthcare is fundamentally broken in this country.

I think I've found the almost perfect settings for me. I raised the humidity to 1 and set the hose heat to 76 F. It seems to work most nights lately, but I can see how adjustments might need to made during warmer weather. Right now, it's about 4 F here is Chicago, so a just little humidity is definitely needed.

I'll play around with posting the chart as soon as I can, but Friday night was my best night ever. ResMed score was 100 with only 1.8 events per hour! I think I'm on my way!

The Slumber Queen
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Dave. I drove tractor trailer OTR for about six months before I moved on to driving buses. In those six months, though, I drove a chemical tanker, double pups, and regular 48' and 53'. Back before they had electronic logs, it was nearly impossible for an honest driver to compete with the drivers who were running illegally. I'd be out of hours while the loads were passed to someone who just kept driving, regardless of the limits. In any case, I found out that driving buses worked out better for me, and in many ways were a better quality of life because you didn't have to be on the road quite as long. I started by driving a Greyhound, and later drove a city bus here in Chicago (something I can't recommend these days.)

I eventually moved on to my current job as a desk jockey, but I still miss driving sometimes. I don't know what it's like now with the ELDs. We were still on paper logs when I left.

Anyway, sorry for the interruption folks. Back to the regular program.   Smile

The Slumber Queen   Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep I'll ditto your paper log sentiment. Been there too.

And only truck drivers call the black mud at the truck stops coffee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started CPAP--THREE YEARS AGO today---whoopee!  Today is my CPAP birthday!
My tech support person (AKA husband)  helped me get started with  Resmed Myair monitoring.    Soon I was making paper graphs with that info--graph paper, felt tip markers.   I am not tech-savvy.    Anything I have learned about computers/ smart phones--I have learned slowly and with great frustration.      I was trying to make sense of the CPAP therapy.    Myair measures  AHI, leaks  (large leaks, apparently) , on/off, hours of use,  total score.     It doesn't count all the annoying  breezy (into my eyes) leaks,    or the noisy (waking me up) leaks.       I thought there should have been some relationship between leaks and AHI but did not see any relationship.   

Later we found OSCAR and I added those measures to my paper graphs.   

I still add  to my paper graphs :    Myair total score,  number of leaks, and   number of times on/off.    The on/off  can be an important indicator of my night.    (Did I not feel well?   Did I have to take off the mask and re-adjust the fit several times?  )     So on/off could be considered a measure of my frustration level for the night.   

Some Myair nightly scores can look very good,   but OSCAR tells the real story.   

My sleep doc looks at Myair.    

So ,   there is my two cents worth for today.     And thank you for your post about some of your work history.      My husband has driven a big truck, too,  so he tells me little bits about trucking sometimes.   It helps me to appreciate the semis on the roads.   Where would we be without the big trucks?!
Post Reply Post Reply
hello again!
You may find this interesting:
I was reading an article recently 9from a nursing friend's alumna newsletter, I think).   A nursing professor had worked with sleep apnea therapy  since its beginning.    During those earlier days,   her nursing work included   teaching the sleep apnea patients how to care for their tracheostomies.      A TRACH   was the treatment for sleep apnea.    !     That information could help some of us to  be more appreciative of  our  CPAP therapy.
I do appreciate my CPAP  therapy.   

How are you  doing?
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a motivational thought for you. CPAP or trach. AKA here's a machine or we cut your throat. PAP please.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Dave.   I will be quiet now.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's OK it's just my sarcasm showing. I've apparently run out of the sarcastic font.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.