Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
I slept my first night last night with a vpap machine and I feel like garbage. Woke up with serious congestion. Here is the kicker, I have the humidifier for it but feel like its not up to par. Sent for the manual so I can adjust something to help. Does it get better?

Resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
Oh heck yeah.

And it is only your first night. Do you expect a medication to immediately start working with just one dose? Probably not. So think of your VPAP as you first have to take enough of it for it.

Being congested is common in the beginning.

You can adjust the humidifier. You should have gotten a user manual for it when you got the machine. Is this a temporary rental or a machine you will keep? Sometimes they give you a machine to test which one you need and all that, first. If this is yours, then for them to not include a manual for all the parts is not good. Stupid, really.

You can find the manuals here:
http://www.resmed.com/us/service_and_sup...c=patients

Scroll down to humidifier and select the H5i, which is the one that comes with the S9 machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mac,

Congestion can/maybe/might could be associated with too much humidity. You need to get to know your settings. Adjusting the "comfort" settings (non pressure) is something we all genrally need to do.

Let us know what kind of hose you're using, the Slim Line or Climate Line (heated) hose, and if you are in Automatic or Manual control. If you're setting just a temperature for your hose, you're likely in auto and many of us found it doesn't meet our needs.

Follow Paula's link and get the manual. It may take some reading, but there are many settings your DME likely forgot to tell you even exist.

If you post your pressure settings (inhalation and exhalation) there are members of this forum using the exact same machine as you.

There's a lot of help here! Welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

It does get easier a lot easier Big Grin Welcome to the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend using a nasal lubricating gel. In Canada there is Secaris or Rhinaris. Either one will work. Put a little dab on the end of a cotton swab, and run that around the inside of each nostril. It really works well.

Good luck and stick with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Being congested can mean too much or too little humidity. I hope you have learned from the other posts how to adjust the humidity- experiment.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 01:21 PM)jdireton Wrote: Mac,

Congestion can/maybe/might could be associated with too much humidity. You need to get to know your settings. Adjusting the "comfort" settings (non pressure) is something we all genrally need to do.

Let us know what kind of hose you're using, the Slim Line or Climate Line (heated) hose, and if you are in Automatic or Manual control. If you're setting just a temperature for your hose, you're likely in auto and many of us found it doesn't meet our needs.

Follow Paula's link and get the manual. It may take some reading, but there are many settings your DME likely forgot to tell you even exist.

If you post your pressure settings (inhalation and exhalation) there are members of this forum using the exact same machine as you.

There's a lot of help here! Welcome.

I have it on auto I think, and I am using the climate line. I have downloaded the manual (here from the site) and have been adjusting in small amounts. I have only adjusted the climate temp for the humidifier at this point. It looks like there are two settings you can go about for humidity? I am not sure what my pressure settings are at, other than something at 19. Sorry, this is all new to me and I feel that the Dr didn't explain a whole lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
What hose are you using
SlimLine
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...-tube.html
or ClimteLine
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...ntrol.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is data capable. Download and use the ResScan or the SleepyHead software to view the data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 12:54 PM)d_mac Wrote: I slept my first night last night with a vpap machine and I feel like garbage.

Hi d_mac. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of us. I've been on CPAP therapy for a little over five months now, and I'm slowly but surely getting better.

You have to get used to sleeping with a hoseful of pressurized air in your face. It keeps waking you up, especially for the first few nights.

But the human body adapts well. After a while it feels natural. Most of the time.

I haven't felt this good in years, but I still have days where I wish I could get a better night's sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 488 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 269 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.