Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
RE: Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
(04-17-2012, 05:32 PM)zonk Wrote: What hose are you using

I am using the ClimateLine one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 09:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-13-2012, 12:54 PM)d_mac Wrote: I slept my first night last night with a vpap machine and I feel like garbage.

Hi d_mac. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of us. I've been on CPAP therapy for a little over five months now, and I'm slowly but surely getting better.

You have to get used to sleeping with a hoseful of pressurized air in your face. It keeps waking you up, especially for the first few nights.

But the human body adapts well. After a while it feels natural. Most of the time.

I haven't felt this good in years, but I still have days where I wish I could get a better night's sleep.

I have noticed a better (not great) sleep the last few nights. I sleep on my side, face pushed up against the pillow so the mask is in the way now. Something to get used to, just wish it would come sooner than later.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 01:31 PM)d_mac Wrote:
(04-13-2012, 12:54 PM)d_mac Wrote: I slept my first night last night with a vpap machine and I feel like garbage.

Hi d_mac. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of us. I've been on CPAP therapy for a little over five months now, and I'm slowly but surely getting better.

You have to get used to sleeping with a hoseful of pressurized air in your face. It keeps waking you up, especially for the first few nights.

But the human body adapts well. After a while it feels natural. Most of the time.

I haven't felt this good in years, but I still have days where I wish I could get a better night's sleep.

I have noticed a better (not great) sleep the last few nights. I sleep on my side, face pushed up against the pillow so the mask is in the way now. Something to get used to, just wish it would come sooner than later.

Full face mask can't be too ideal for side-sleeping, is it? I use a ResMed Activa LT nasal mask, and sleep mostly on my side, and even then I have a bit of difficulty keeping a good seal, when the pillow pushes against the forehead pad. I've learned to punch a dent into the pillow in just the right places. :-)

Is there a specific reason you want the full face? I don't think I'd ever get one to seal, I've got a moustache and full beard. The Activa LT does an amazing job for me, though, seals well even when I let the 'stache get too long. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 01:52 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Is there a specific reason you want the full face?

nobody wants to use a full face mask. some of us must wear a full face because for one reason or another the nose just does not cooperate. not everyone is willing to go thru the motions of getting the nose fixed.

in my specific case i have a bad deviated septum. using a nasal mask or pillow is like you blocking your mouth and one nostril, then forcing all the air thru the other nostril. that's exactly what it feels like and it does not work. i've tried hybrid and it's still too strong. surgery at age 62 with other medical issues going on? no.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 01:31 PM)d_mac Wrote: I have noticed a better (not great) sleep the last few nights. I sleep on my side, face pushed up against the pillow so the mask is in the way now. Something to get used to, just wish it would come sooner than later.

Smile Yeah, I wanted to wake up after the first night of CPAP therapy with that fully-rested feeling. It didn't happen for me, either. It takes a while to get used to the machine, and to get used to a lack of apneas, too. I'm glad you're starting to see signs of improvement. That means you're making progress.

Look through our supplier list, or just do a google search, for a cpap pillow. There's a great variety of them out there. They can help with positioning the mask.

I, too, am a side or stomach sleeper. I'd hoped that CPAP therapy would allow me to become a back sleeper. It hasn't happened.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 01:52 PM)CHanlon Wrote:

Full face mask can't be too ideal for side-sleeping, is it? I use a ResMed Activa LT nasal mask, and sleep mostly on my side, and even then I have a bit of difficulty keeping a good seal, when the pillow pushes against the forehead pad. I've learned to punch a dent into the pillow in just the right places. :-)

Is there a specific reason you want the full face? I don't think I'd ever get one to seal, I've got a moustache and full beard. The Activa LT does an amazing job for me, though, seals well even when I let the 'stache get too long. :-)

I am a mouth and nose breather, switch between the two thru the night so full mask was given to me during the sleep study. I need to check with the doc to see if I can go another route.
Post Reply Post Reply

I, too, am a side or stomach sleeper. I'd hoped that CPAP therapy would allow me to become a back sleeper. It hasn't happened.
[/quote]

I hear ya, just getting used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2012, 10:24 PM)d_mac Wrote:
(04-18-2012, 01:52 PM)CHanlon Wrote:
(04-17-2012, 09:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Hi d_mac. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of us. I've been on CPAP therapy for a little over five months now, and I'm slowly but surely getting better.

I am a mouth and nose breather, switch between the two thru the night so full mask was given to me during the sleep study. I need to check with the doc to see if I can go another route.

Me too. I'd never believe that I'd get used to breathing just through my nose, all night, especially when I'm actually asleep and not concentrating on keeping my mouth shut. I was incredibly sceptical.

Took one night.

Seriously, the first time you open your mouth and start venting CPAP air across the room "honey, look, I can whistle "American Pie" without taking a breath!") you get the idea that, perhaps, this is something to avoid.

It takes a little adjustment, but the sensation is enough to make you correct yourself pretty quickly. I can even talk with it on and running now, which is something I couldn't do in the first few months of therapy. In fact, the other day I tried just opening up my airway and blowing air out my mouth... and it was much harder to do, consciously, then it was to *stop* doing back when I started therapy.

Of course, that's me, your mileage may vary. My step father is in the same boat as us, and found he was more comfortable with a full face mask...and he's clean shaven. For him, that was an easier solution then to learn to not mouth breathe. In my case, I don't think I'd ever get a full-face to seal, so I went this way.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is, you never know if a nasal mask will work for you unless you give it a good try. I was ok with mine at first, then after the first few nights I started waking up with my mouth open and air hissing out. Used a chin strap for the next few weeks. Now, I don't need the chin strap and have switched to nasal pillows.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok here is an update. I adjusted the humidity level to a higher level. I also lowered my pressure incrementally and have been noticing a lower AHI. I started with a AHI of 2.7 and the last few nights have been averaging .80. I think this is good as I feel like I am actually getting some rest or at least feeling rested. I have also upped my usage from 4 hours a night to 7 hours average. So it seems I am getting used to it. I don't feel dried out as much either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.