Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
RE: Newbie Hosehead Drying Out
(04-24-2012, 11:22 AM)d_mac Wrote: Ok here is an update. I adjusted the humidity level to a higher level. I also lowered my pressure incrementally and have been noticing a lower AHI. I started with a AHI of 2.7 and the last few nights have been averaging .80. I think this is good as I feel like I am actually getting some rest or at least feeling rested. I have also upped my usage from 4 hours a night to 7 hours average. So it seems I am getting used to it. I don't feel dried out as much either.

Those numbers are great, how are the leak numbers? As long as they stay under 24, the AHI numbers are accurate...and if that's the case, no need to change anything else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 01:28 PM)CHanlon Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 11:22 AM)d_mac Wrote: Ok here is an update. I adjusted the humidity level to a higher level. I also lowered my pressure incrementally and have been noticing a lower AHI. I started with a AHI of 2.7 and the last few nights have been averaging .80. I think this is good as I feel like I am actually getting some rest or at least feeling rested. I have also upped my usage from 4 hours a night to 7 hours average. So it seems I am getting used to it. I don't feel dried out as much either.

Those numbers are great, how are the leak numbers? As long as they stay under 24, the AHI numbers are accurate...and if that's the case, no need to change anything else.

I am not sure what the leak numbers are. I will take a look and repost.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 01:21 PM)jdireton Wrote: Mac,

Congestion can/maybe/might could be associated with too much humidity. You need to get to know your settings. Adjusting the "comfort" settings (non pressure) is something we all genrally need to do.

Let us know what kind of hose you're using, the Slim Line or Climate Line (heated) hose, and if you are in Automatic or Manual control. If you're setting just a temperature for your hose, you're likely in auto and many of us found it doesn't meet our needs.

Follow Paula's link and get the manual. It may take some reading, but there are many settings your DME likely forgot to tell you even exist.

If you post your pressure settings (inhalation and exhalation) there are members of this forum using the exact same machine as you.

There's a lot of help here! Welcome.

I'm hoping that you're following this thread as I need to ask you some questions.

I have an AutoSet S9 with the humidifier and heated hose. I had my unit modified by my DME so I can adjust the hose heat and humidity separately. My pressure settings are 13 - 17. I've been running my humidity at 5 and my hose temperature is 81 degrees.

So how do you know whether the humidity is set too high or too low? I've had recent problems with my nasal passages swelling shut and I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning starving for air and I worry that I'm going to have to switch from a nasal mask to a full face mask to be able to breathe out my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have water in the mask in the morning? Or in the hose?

Too high and there'd be water in the mask or at least in the hose. Too low and you'd have a very dry nose in the morning. But then it is so individualized. If you have a cold bedroom, there's going to be more condensation. If the bedroom is warmer, you could dry out even with a high setting. If the room is humid, you'll get more water. If it is dry, you'd not get any. Then there's those who cannot stand to breathe wet air. And others who cannot tolerate it unless the humidity is quite high. So see? It's so variable.

As for the swelling, refer to your other post. I say go see your doc immediately. If you cannot breathe with the mask off, there is a problem that may not be related to the mask at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:35 PM)moondoggy Wrote:

Congestion can/maybe/might could be associated with too much humidity. You need to get to know your settings. Adjusting the "comfort" settings (non pressure) is something we all genrally need to do.

Let us know what kind of hose you're using, the Slim Line or Climate Line (heated) hose, and if you are in Automatic or Manual control. If you're setting just a temperature for your hose, you're likely in auto and many of us found it doesn't meet our needs.

Follow Paula's link and get the manual. It may take some reading, but there are many settings your DME likely forgot to tell you even exist.

If you post your pressure settings (inhalation and exhalation) there are members of this forum using the exact same machine as you.

I'm hoping that you're following this thread as I need to ask you some questions.

I have an AutoSet S9 with the humidifier and heated hose. I had my unit modified by my DME so I can adjust the hose heat and humidity separately. My pressure settings are 13 - 17. I've been running my humidity at 5 and my hose temperature is 81 degrees.

So how do you know whether the humidity is set too high or too low? I've had recent problems with my nasal passages swelling shut and I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning starving for air and I worry that I'm going to have to switch from a nasal mask to a full face mask to be able to breathe out my mouth.

The only way to determine where they should be set is to experiment with them - your settings and mine won't be the same...and they'll change with the local conditions. I live in Ontario, Canada, and haven't bothered getting the Climateline hose yet - I haven't had a rainout issue yet either. My bedroom, most of the winter, is between 62 and 68 degrees... and for the winter I find a humidity of 3 is the highest I've had to go - usually it's 2.5. I don't get dried out, and I don't have rainout issues. In the summer, the room is usually between 72 and 76, AC on, and if the AC keeps up with the outdoor humidity, usually 2.5 is good... if it's more humid out - lots of lakes around here - sometimes I drop it to 2.

What I'd suggest for you is to start the temp at or even a bit below the ambient temperature, and set the humidity down to 1 or 2. If you wake up feeling dry, put it up 0.5.

The temp, what you're aiming for with temp settings is to stop condensation in the mask and hose - ie "rainout." That's only going to happen when the temperature of the tube "surface" is low enough to cause the water vapour in the air condense out. The more vapour in the air, the easier it condenses... so leave the temp below room temperature unless you start getting water in the tube as you increase the humidity level to compensate for the dry nose... you might never actually have to bump it up - as I said, I don't even own the climateline hose.

Change the humidity settings gradually - when you don't dry out after a nights sleep...you're done. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
doggy,

Read all of the above, it's good advice. BTW, please don't confuse rainout (condensation in the hose and mask) with sinus comfort when you're reading these recommendations.

My 2 cents, exactly what has been recommended above, drop your hose temp to just above your room temp, and drop the humidity setting. This general area has worked well for many people on this forum. With comfort settings, you can make large changes just to see. Are you better at very low settings or very high? Inching at changes of 0.5 can take a while but after you find a spot that at least works you can tweak it to perfection. As stated, everyone is different, there is no one size fits all. That said, I'm at 74F hose and 5 humidity in manual mode.

Get a copy of the Clinician Manual, available for free download through this site. While I'm one that does not advocate any patient change of set pressures, changing the convenience parameters should be understood by everyone. Humidity, temperature, EPR, EPR response, Auto ON/OFF, etc. all can either help or annoy the hell out of people, depending on their preference. Did you know your machine will also nicely tell you when to change the filter (or any other major component) if you simply ask it too? (Reminders) Get the Clinician manual, read it, and take control of your machine!

Finally, xPAP may neither cause nor obviate other issues. When in doubt, see your doctor!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:35 PM)moondoggy Wrote:

I have mine set to 85 degrees, but not sure what the humidity level is set to. I fill the tank and its empty by morning. As I incresed the temp from 80 to 85, and found the warm up feature it helped me alot. I also reduced my pressure a little and that helped. I have noticed the numbers have gotten better and I am using it more. I keep the house at 75 at night so I am not sure how the humidity plays into, but no condensation in mask or hose. Hopefully this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.