Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - How Long to Feel Better with CPAP use
RE: Newbie - How Long to Feel Better with CPAP use
For me, it was immediate. That first night with a CPAP machine at the sleep center, I woke up feeling completely energized. My "new normal" went from 8 hours sleep waking up feeling tired to 5 or 6 hours sleep waking up feeling rested and energized. For the first 6 weeks, I had some off nights where I didn't sleep well. With some evangelists on this message board, I flipped from a Wisp nasal mask to ResMed P10 nasal pillows. The "off nights" pretty much went away. My AHI when I hit the info button in the morning is usually 0.2 or 0.3. Once in a blue moon (typically correlating with alcohol consumption), it's up over 1.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2014, 04:39 PM)patbart/patbart48 Wrote: I have had my Resmed S9 since March 2014 and I don't feel any different. I have a hard time with congestion and don't have that under control. My sleep Dr said to take something like Allegra. Not!! Doesn't work.Rolleyes

I'm new at this myself, and have only used nasal pillows. I also suffer from nasal congestion, but it seems that once I have my mask on and start therapy, the congestion eases. I don't know how, but it does. My Doctor has had me on Allegra, and nasal sprays,, but you are right, they don't work! The only thing I use now is a nasal rinse at least once a day. You can purchase the kit which includes a bottle and premeasured packets of saline rinse. You must use distilled water, not tap water. At least it's not a drug and it won't hurt to try it. I also have recently added a heated hose and it has made a world of difference.
I noticed you don't use software, if you have access to a computer, download Sleepyhead so that you can see what's going on while you sleep. There are a lot of people on this forum that can help you with that. Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 11:47 AM)roe1549 Wrote: ......I noticed you don't use software, if you have access to a computer.....

Sorry! I couldn't resist: No access to a computer would mean the message you are responding to came from where? Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 12:00 PM)PollCat Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 11:47 AM)roe1549 Wrote: ......I noticed you don't use software, if you have access to a computer.....

Sorry! I couldn't resist: No access to a computer would mean the message you are responding to came from where? Laugh-a-lot

Ha, ha! Guess you got me there! Oh-jeez

The important thing is to take charge of your health, and to utilize the wealth of information from this forum.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't want to sound 'stupid' but how does sleepyhead software work if you download it to your laptop? I downloaded the software but no install exe. Can you help me?? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2014, 05:25 PM)roe1549 Wrote: Even though my numbers are usually under 5 AHI, I am worried about the hypopaneas and how long they last. What do you think?

You've got a pretty wide pressure range of 7 to 16. If most of those hypopneas are occurring when your pressure is at the low end of that range, I would raise it a bit. Maybe try 9 to 16 and see if it lowers the AHI.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2014, 04:39 PM)patbart/patbart48 Wrote: I have had my Resmed S9 since March 2014 and I don't feel any different. I have a hard time with congestion and don't have that under control. My sleep Dr said to take something like Allegra. Not!! Doesn't work.Rolleyes
Hi patbart/patbart48,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having trouble getting used to your CPAP therapy, sometimes it takes a while before you notice improvement but just stick with it, it does get better.
You might try one of the sinus rinces and see if that will help you with your congestion.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 05:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 05:25 PM)roe1549 Wrote: Even though my numbers are usually under 5 AHI, I am worried about the hypopaneas and how long they last. What do you think?

You've got a pretty wide pressure range of 7 to 16. If most of those hypopneas are occurring when your pressure is at the low end of that range, I would raise it a bit. Maybe try 9 to 16 and see if it lowers the AHI.

Ok, I'll try it and watch it for a week or so, and see what happens. Thanks!
I just looked over Sleepyhead for the last month, and the bulk of the hypopaneas are in the 7 to 8 pressure range, also they seem to be during the first hour of sleep or the morning hours when I'm pretty sure I am awake!
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Though Allegra may not work for you there are quite a few others that might, you might want to try them. I have used a few, and when desperate times call for desperate measures I use Cetrizine, that does the job for me on the very now rare occasions I need it.

(12-28-2014, 12:00 PM)PollCat Wrote:

I hate to rain on your parade, but he could be using an android tablet to access apnea board and can't use sleepyhead Tongue

(12-28-2014, 02:23 PM)patbart/patbart48 Wrote: Don't want to sound 'stupid' but how does sleepyhead software work if you download it to your laptop? I downloaded the software but no install exe. Can you help me?? Thank you.

Here is the way to install it and everything else you ever want to know;

http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...sers_Guide

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 06:59 PM)roe1549 Wrote: I just looked over Sleepyhead for the last month, and the bulk of the hypopaneas are in the 7 to 8 pressure range, also they seem to be during the first hour of sleep or the morning hours when I'm pretty sure I am awake!

I doubt they're occurring while you're fully awake. If the the higher pressure doesn't bother you then it may be advisable to raise the lower limit to 9.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 187 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 830 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.