Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - How to balance CAs and EPR and pressure?
Newbie - How to balance CAs and EPR and pressure?
Hi - after solving the stuffy nose issue with auto humidity setting, I am now trying to get the settings right so I don't have Aerophasia + minimize CAs. Hope's it's ok that I started a new threat.

Below last 3 night's charts:
Oct 16 - pressure 6-10 EPR 1
Oct 17 - pressure 7-10 EPR 1 
Oct 18 - pressure 6-10 EPR 2 - to get rid of aerophasia which I had the nights before

Going from EPR 1 to 2 felt really good and also much less aerophasia. Also, my pressure spikes went down for most of the night from the nights before. Wonder why?

Problem for me are the CAs. What should I try to get them down?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - How to balance CAs and EPR and pressure?
Let's try stabilizing your pressure which is being driven by the flow limitations. Set your minimum and maximum pressure to 8.0 and use the EPR you find most comfortable. You do have a higher rate of CA events with higher EPR, however the difference is not that great. Your OA events tend to cluster a bit, so watch for chin-tucking. If you are using multiple pillows or a very tall firm one, try something a bit thinner.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

Am I understanding that I should change to a constant pressure of 8, but not by going to CPAP mode but APAP mode with min and max at 8?

Is there an advantage?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I did what you suggested and the results are interesting. 

I still had some bloating and gas, but that was tolerable. My OA and H are way down, CAs are the same or even a bit lower than days before.

Since OAs are so low, should I try to reduce the pressure slowly, e.g. go to 7.4 and then 7.0 ?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

By the way, I have a thin contour pillow, so no chin tucking as far as I can tell.

Post Reply Post Reply
I went down in pressure from 8 to 7, both with EPR 2, to see what would happen.
--At 8: CAs 3.36, OAs 0.97, H 0.11
--At 7: CAs 3.7, OAs 2.11, H 0.32  
Both charts attached.

All measures increased, so I guess I should go back to 8. Maybe try EPR 3 to see if bloating/gas is reduced?

Any other suggestions appreciated.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Go back to a pressure of 8, but add EPR incrementally, 1, 2, 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went back to pressure 8 with EPR 2. I initially tried EPR 1 but felt uncomfortable, so I tried 2 again. Will try 3 tonight and then step down to a 1 when I feel ready.

Was not a good night. Woke up a lot. Consistent pressure of 8 still feels too strong - maybe I just need to get used to it.

I also noted very consistent patterns before OAs occurred (see attached) - do these look like arousals before OAs? Does that mean these are OAs while I am awake?  

Post Reply Post Reply
Did the pressure feel too much with Brevida as well? P10 would wake me up frequently due to aggressive air flows. I can better tolerate same pressure with FFM or nasal masks. Currently, my DreamWisp has the most comfortable air flow that I can tolerate pressure range of 9 - 12 (I may have some difficulty when it gets in the high side in the range). I seem to be fairly sensitive to strong air flow, so I went through many masks to find the right one that would flow air comfortably and also provide low AHI without causing clustering OA. My centrals are down as well.

I did have similar issue with Brevida after consecutive days of usage. I felt tired in the morning and I think it may have been due to more frequent awakenings. With the masks, after a few days, you notice if it's working or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Brevida feels much less "aggressive" than the P10 when i comes to pressure. I really like the Brevida. 
I think it is the level of pressure in general.
But maybe I should again try nasal and FFM mask which I had tried earlier....thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.