Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Intro
Newbie Intro
First time on this site...had my first-ever sleep study on June 6th and my doc just emailed and said I have mild hypopnea and apnea so wants me to come in so my insurance can buy me a cpap.  (Co-worker has the resmed machine and said to get a So Clean for cleaning.)

Newby with lots to learn...glad to find a forum where I can pick the brains of folks...been watching some good videos on youtube. 

I wonder if altitude has an impact on apnea?  We live in Monument, Colorado which has at 7,000 feet above sea level so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I'm retired Air Force (23-years, Special Ops, Sr Intel Analyst, Space Ops, First Sergeant) and have been a systems engineer at the Missile Defense Agency for 16 years as a defense contractor)

Rick "Boo" Boucher
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Intro
Welcome to the forum.

What altitude was your sleep study conducted at? 7000+ ft? it is important.  If it was at 5000 ft the central Apnea activity could be way off.
You have a choice in the make and brand CPAP that you get.  In general we recommend ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, keyword AutoSet, not AirSense, because it is very flexible quick to respond to events.  You also get excellent data from this machine so you can perform a breath by breath analysis if needed.

Because of altitude, don't be surprised is this first "CPAP" doesn't work well and you need a different machine.  There is no way to know until you try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Fred!  Yes, the sleep study was at a hospital in Northern Colorado Springs so, at most, only about 500 feet below my house.  A HORRIBLE experience...the bed was hard like a cheap Motel 6 mattress so it made my hip hurt and when I finally started dozing off a lady in a room down the hall let out three huge screams which woke us all up and then I was worried she was going to do it again so getting back asleep was hard. 

Thanks for the tips on the resmed!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I agree that ResMed of some variant will be the best choice. I'll also put forth that SoClean isn't a requirement. Dish soap and hot water are more than good enough to keep it clean. Altitude will play a key in success rates early on, but we here at AB will help get you through it. If you have the sleep study report, by all means, you may post it here in redacted format. The detailed version is far better than a summary. Best to your near future success.

And thanks for the service time. I stayed at E-1 while in the PA Army National Guard for the 10 months I was in. Bad back decided it didn't like BDUs, so I was given a medical discharge.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well finally got in to see my Doc and getting the APAP Monday....the only option my insurance buys is the Philips DreamStation but I've watched some videos and read many reviews and folks seem to like it. They gave me 4 mask options and I get to pick out two so I'll get the two full face options....DreamWear and Vitera. I guess the DreamStation has BlueTooth and there's an app to put on your phone to capture all the data...so that's pretty cool.
Does everyone have a SoClean? A co-worker with a ResMed said he loves his and I should get one if the APAP works out for me....but they are not cheap....maybe someone could hook me up with a discount supplier in here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I do have a printout of my sleep study...has a bunch of acronyms and stuff that means nothing to me....this part sounds important: (It did say sleep was fragmented)

The PSG was technically adequate. Sleep onset was prolonged at 72.2 min. REM latency was prolonged at 337.0 min. Sleep stage analysis revealed 15.5 min (5.9%TST) stage N1 (normal), 236.7min (89.8%TST) N2 (increased), 3.0min (1.1%TST) N3 (reduced), and 8.5min (3.2%TST) REM(normal)

Is this important: "The apnea/hypopnea index was increased at 12.1 Supine AHI was 12.8, REM AHI was 21.2. The patient slept 32.0% of the night in the supine position. Supine REM sleep was not observed during the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you redact your personal data off the sleep report and turn it into scanned PC images, you should be able to attach at the bottom of a reply post for this thread. Each page would be an attachment. From the New Attachment, it's Choose File, after choosing it Add Attachment then Insert Into Post.
Attaching Files

Here's some bits of info:

SoClean is not required, but if you want it that's fine. Most that I know just use dish soap like Dawn and hot water.

Odd that the insurance says Respironics only on coverage. Most health insurances don't care as long as protocol is followed in proof of medical necessity. I'm not questioning you, but maybe that was some info that is slanted towards Respironics equipment from a DME- the durable medical equipment is the place that sells products like CPAP and maintains with supplies. DMEs are infamously sorta crooked like some car salesmen are known for being. ResMed CPAPs tend to give better therapy, Philips Respironics is just below that, but have offered a price break to the DME. That means they save money and do not pass the savings on. This means selling a Respironics puts extra money in the pocket of the DME. Am I skeptical? Yep, especially when the DME says something.

PSG is a sleep study, REM sleep stage.

AHI at 12.1 means you'll be issued CPAP with mild/moderate events shown in the test.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I completely agree with Dave.  I had a dreamstation, top of the line and purchased with my own money a ResMed VAUTO and the difference was dramatic!  I am doing so much better with the RESMED.  And yes the supplier will give you the least expensive CPAP they can get by with and you will not be able to upgrade for about 7 years.  Get the best machine you are entitled to!!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
just saying

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
   PR responds to Snores
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
6. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
7. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
8. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
9. In general provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO EngineerBoo,

DME and insurance: I would be calling both and asking why I can only get a Respironics. If you want, require it in writing. If as I suspect, it's actually the DME sending fake info like this, shop elsewhere that supplies ResMed.

FWIW I've been on Medicaid and now Medicare. So far Medicare has not told me what brand for my medical equipment. Medicaid emulates Medicare in protocol, excepting the little co-pay.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.