Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Intro
RE: Newbie Intro
Ramp is sort of like the highway trip, once you've started the trip you don't need entrance/exit ramps. I do see the 90% and where you're at 8, so yes my earlier post at 6 was a bit low. But it sounds like you're getting the hang of PAP therapy pretty well. Congrats and keep at it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, y'all...I really appreciate it. So I assume it's normal to have thoughts of wondering if you'd die if the electricity goes out while asleep on the machine? Or if anyone has ever had a lung burst by high-pressure? Or sleeping through your alarm because all you hear is your breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
What’s an alarm?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After I got my ASV, every time I hit Snooze the machine turns off.

Lung bursting PSI? Nah, as PAPs that go to 25 cmH2O equals 0.355584 PSI.

Depending on the mask, full face ones have an anti-asphyxiation valve, typically in the elbow on the front. Other masks, your natural survival instinct to breathe, will either wake you up or you may switch to mouth breathing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure is so low it won’t blow up a balloon so certainly won’t burst a lung
Post Reply Post Reply
You understand the pressures we deal with I often ask for you to do an experiment.
Get a tall glass is water, and a straw. Now the hard part, put the straw in to near the bottom and pretend you are a kid again and blow bubbles. Assuming 8 inches of water you just experienced the maximum pressure a CPAP is capable of, 20 cmw. Did you have any problems?
Didn't think so.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, last night, I was able to get a full nights' sleep for the first time...got 7.42 hrs and had dreams! I reset the low pressure up from 6 to 8 and didn't like it, at first, but after a bit it was okay.

My numbers changed from the first night...AHI was 3.8, 90% pressure is 11.7, min pressure 8.0, max pressure 15.0.

I did have a slight headache when I woke up and my throat was dry. I looked in the water reservoir and it doesn't even look halfway empty so should I raise up the humidity level?

I've rarely slept on my back, before, because the snoring goes into hypermode but I woke up a few times lying on my back and my wife reported she didn't hear any snoring from me. (And she's a very light sleeper)

Is it normal to feel a little air blowing out of the hose on top of the head and the front of the mask? The app says mask fit 100%. Also, I changed the max pressure to 15 from 20 yesterday but since it did go up to 15 last night should I put that max back up? (The change didn't wake me up last night, which is a good thing.)

I do feel well rested and not as groggy as I usually do...I may get to like this weird little contraption!!
Post Reply Post Reply
On the humidity setting: you'll have to experiment a bit with the settings. You can try going up to see if it helps. If it doesn't try lower than it is set to now. It seems each individual reacts differently to the humidity.

On air coming out in front of the mask: there are built-in vents that release a certain amount of air at all times, and more when you exhale. The reason you didn't record leaks is that there's a certain amount that is deducted from the total leak as allowable/expected.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you adapt to the higher starting pressure you will come to find it comfortable. It takes some time, but you will adapt and look forward to how it keeps your airway open for breathing. A higher minimum pressure results in less pressure variation through the night and less disruption to your sleep. The mask incorporates intentional vents that prevent you from rebreathing expired air and CO2. Some vents are quieter than others, but it is an essential function.

Humidity needs vary, and if you describe your humidity setting we can help you make adjustments. The automatic climate or humidity control provides much less humidity than manual settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks....I got the manual out and found how to change the humidity....it was set on 3 and goes up to 5 so will try 4 tonight. Our high-altitude does tend to be very arid so that's not surprising.

I downloaded the Oscar software on here onto my laptop and got it setup but, for some reason, my SSDD card reader isn't letting it import data from the machine. My machine also has Bluetooth and so does my laptop so I will try download the card data onto the laptop. (Any tips for that?) My laptop is old so doesn't have a card reader so I have to use one that plugs into a USB port (but the light is on...not sure why the laptop isn't letting me see it.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.