Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Is it too soon ?
Newbie. Is it too soon ?
Really need some help.
Having had strange eye symptoms with anxiety, weight gain and fatigue, my opthal suspected osa could be the link. My subsequent study proved I had moderate OSA with AHI of 25 so the prospect of CPAP gave me hope.
I have been on CPAP for 4 weeks although week one was a disaster on a full face mask so i changed to pillows which i get on with better. I'm still not sleeping great though. In fact i have only had 1 really good night which made me realise just how long its been since i slept that deeply. Maybe years!
So my question....... why do i still feel absolutely awful? No one on any forum has my eye issues so i already feel a no hoper yet i had high hopes that in general there would be some improvement.
Is it still too early to tell? Is sleep debt a possibility?
Feeling lost and lonely..... and tired
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie. Is it too soon ?
Nutteetart, welcome, I'm not sure about your eyes but you need to be positive and be patient, I know it's hard. We are all different so some take longer that others to start to feel the effects. For me, it took 3 - 6 months but after feeling so bad for years I was positive CPAP would work, it was my last resort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a check up with the eye doctor. The only eye issue when mask leak into your eyes but you should have no such problem with nasal pillows

When the followup with the sleep doctor?
First of all, tells us the exact make and model of your machine and pressure settings. Machine in profile 'resmed auto aflex' does not exist (a bit of ResMed and bit of Respironcis). Some of us, including myself cannot use CPAP without humidifier, your profie shows none
Some machines report efficacy data such as AHI, leak, etc ... and with the software, we might be able to figure whats going on (if CPAP related)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your replies.
My machine is respironics but i cant see anything else on it than i have told you. Apparently this will be changed when i go back to clinic as this will decide my pressure.
It appears to settle on 8 when i have looked. The machine records detail but i have not been shown how to retrieve it but the clinic said my apneas were now 0.2. It showed no leaks which surprised me as thats all my face mask did!
As far as eyes are concerned there can apparently be quite a few problems associated with osa but no one on the internet appears to share or have knowledge of my symptoms
I cant find any help. I cant see opthal or clinic consultants for 4 more weeks. Its a long time to not function. Very depressing.
i will continue my cpap therapy and try to be positive.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
My Ramp is set to OFF?
My Ramp is set to off on my cpap s9 auto set.. is this right?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nutteetart,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having a rough time right now but I encourage you to stick with CPAP.
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but it does get better over time.
You might try to settup during the evening and wear your mask and use the machine as you read or watch tv, to help your body get used to it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Ramp is set to OFF?
(05-25-2014, 08:32 AM)DanaLow62 Wrote: My Ramp is set to off on my cpap s9 auto set.. is this right?
Hi DanaLow62,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Ramp is used to help people get used to the therapy, it's a comfort feature. Ramp is set to gradually get you to your pressure if it's on.
Once people get used to their therapy, they usually turn ramp off.
Hang in there for a better explanation of ramp than I gave you and more suggestions.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 07:59 AM)nutteetart Wrote: As far as eyes are concerned there can apparently be quite a few problems associated with osa but no one on the internet appears to share or have knowledge of my symptoms

What are your eye symptoms?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 05:03 AM)nutteetart Wrote: Really need some help.

You have come to the right place for help and support. If you give the forum more detailed information, you will increase the probability of getting information from folks with the same issues you are experiencing. I'm not sure exactly what device you are using but if it is fully data capable, you could download Sleepyhead software to your PC and get detailed data on the effectiveness of your therapy.

(05-25-2014, 05:03 AM)nutteetart Wrote: Having had strange eye symptoms

I have had eye problems but have no reason to believe they are related to APNEA. After multiple retina detachments I have central blindness in one eye and extreme astigmatism (from surgery/buckle) in the other. What is your eye issue?

(05-25-2014, 05:03 AM)nutteetart Wrote: In fact i have only had 1 really good night which made me realise just how long its been since i slept that deeply. Maybe years!

Take hope from this one good night and continue the quest to get your therapy optimized. It takes a while but eventually you may sleep well most nights. I am 6 months on CPAP and have finally settled on a mask I like and a pressure range that works for me. Hang in...
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your kind responses.
My eye issues started 3 yrs ago when i noticed i was squinting a lot and they were dry and blurry. Having had anxiety issues i thought it was all related but 1 gp, 3 opticians, 3 opthalmologists and a hysterectomy later my anxiety problems are much better but my eyes are terrible.
At this moment my left eye is sore and burning and is squinty and my right eye is swollen and dry. I feel disoriented because i cant see straight and my neck, shoulders and base of my skull all ache i presume from holding myself weirdly and straining and when they are this bad it feels like they dont track properly and words jump about on a page. On top of that... i have no energy.
A medhelp forum suggested sjogrens syndrome but its only my eyes that are dry.
The experts seem baffled but the opthal was right to ask about apnea. All these years i thought i was waking through panic. This wasnt the case.
I believe the eye probs associated to osa are diabetic retinopathy, a neuropathy thing, glaucoma and papilledema or something and my opthal suspected floppy eyelid syndrome. I dont think i have this though. I have been wearing an eyemask as well as my breathing mask. Very attractive but no change Sad
I have a feeling none of you will have heard of this. My sleep clinic havent either but I am seriously worried.
I cant read or watch tv or do anything for long and quite understandably i am quite depressed now.
Every night i go to bed hopeful i will start to improve then i plummet in the morning when i still feel awful.
I will check out sleepyhead when my eyes let me study. Thank you for your support. X
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 371 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.