Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Joins Hunt for CPAP Machine
Newbie Joins Hunt for CPAP Machine
I'm a 70 year old Indianapolis engineer with AFIB.  My cardiologist believes it is caused by OSA.  Recent sleep study showed AHI=18 sleeping on my side, AHI=37 sleeping on my back.  SP02 levels in the high 80s at various times during the night.  

Got a call today from a local shop who announced "your doctor identified us as your DME supplier, but we have no CPAP machines of any kind.  We're told by our suppliers that it will be months before we get any."

I called other DME shops in town and they say the same thing: "no machines for a month or more.  We have a long waiting list...".

However, I would like to avoid another AFIB episode and trip to the emergency room.

Can anyone help me on these questions?:

1.  If I announce that I am a cash customer and don't intend to seek Medicare reimbursement, does this open up any inventory of CPAP machines?

2.  If I have my CPAP prescription in hand, is there any obstacle to my shopping on the internet and approaching out-of-state DME shops?

3.  The story is that Philips' Dreamstation was pulled from the market because some sound deadening foam disintegrates.  Presumably this foam can be stripped out of machines and the device used at higher noise levels.  How do I get access to a new or used Dreamstation to attempt this?  Are all existing machines going to the landfill?

4.  Better question: where are all the used CPAP machines?  With so many new users finding CPAP tough to stomach, I'd expect a lot of hardware in the used market, but I find none on EBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.  I wonder if their policies forbid selling DME of any kind due to liability.

Thanks for your help on this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Joins Hunt for CPAP Machine
(03-08-2022, 05:21 PM)jimolson52 Wrote: 1.  If I announce that I am a cash customer and don't intend to seek Medicare reimbursement, does this open up any inventory of CPAP machines?
Not as far as a DME is concerned.  They will make more money from insurance reimbursements.

2.  If I have my CPAP prescription in hand, is there any obstacle to my shopping on the internet and approaching out-of-state DME shops?
With a prescription, you can get your machine anywhere.  There is a list of online suppliers here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
But you may not get reimbursed through insurance.

3.  The story is that Philips' Dreamstation was pulled from the market because some sound deadening foam disintegrates.  Presumably this foam can be stripped out of machines and the device used at higher noise levels.  How do I get access to a new or used Dreamstation to attempt this?  Are all existing machines going to the landfill?
Most of the machines have been sent back to PR to be refurbished.  The foam is being removed and replaced.

4.  Better question: where are all the used CPAP machines?  With so many new users finding CPAP tough to stomach, I'd expect a lot of hardware in the used market, but I find none on EBay, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.  I wonder if their policies forbid selling DME of any kind due to liability.
People just like you are buying all the used machines so there is a shortage right now.  Keep looking and one will eventually pop up.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes there are slightly used machines sold by Supplier #2 in the suppliers list at the top of this site.

I purchased 2 and needed no precription.

I would suggest the ResMed 10 or 11 but be sure it is an autoset.  It is like buying a ford - they have cars (many different models), simis, trucks each one may be good but not for every need.  Same with a pap machine.  The ResMed 10 autoset is a very good machine.  With the shortage they have gone up in price however.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a listing for one - the for her means there is one more setting than the plain one.  It is not just for women.

this is from Supplier #2 from the suppliers list - I can'/t put the name of the company because it is against board policy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Try looking at the supplier list at the top of page.  I notice that some are advertising the AirSense 10 AutoSet.  I don't know if they actually have them in stock, something you'd have to check on.

Supplier #2 sells new and used low hour cpaps.  You would probably have to call and check on inventory, and you will need your script.

As far as used DreamStations... I noticed on FaceBook that folk are being asked to return their DS1's.  I believe Phillips is removing the foam, cleaning and sending back out.  

Be aware that Apnea Board doesn't allow for the sale, trade or transfer of prescription required items. See Here.

Good luck in your hunt! Look for the AirSense 10 AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, or the newer AirSense 11 AutoSet.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Craigslist is your friend.  Find an Autoset 9 or 10. $50-$350
This can be your backup machine one insurance does it's work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jerry, thanks for the suggestion.

I learned how to use the Craigslist site to search for items out-of-state. I found a ResMed Autosense 10 at a good price. New ResMed Autosenses with mask and heated tube on the internet (at the few places I found them) were $1100+. Most shops have none.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do use Craigslist or other site and you cannot see the device in person, be sure to use PayPal or other payment method with a refund guarantee in case you get mugged off. That way you can at least get your money back and try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll answer question 2:
2. If I have my CPAP prescription in hand, is there any obstacle to my shopping on the internet and approaching out-of-state DME shops?

No obstacles whatsoever. In fact, I bought my Airsense 11 a week ago online and just emailed my prescription. The new machines are in stock. I just paid full market price and got my machine within days. I'm in NC, my machine was purchased in NJ.

In fact, I'm thinking of canceling my insurance-provided machine now because I got another email yesterday stating that machines are in short supply and I should expect a significant delay. I have been waiting since November (2021) last year.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another option while you wait for stocks to replenish.

Buy a travel cpap machine like the ResMed AirMini. Travel machines are not covered by insurance (mine said no) so they should be readily available online everywhere. You can start treatment immediately and keep it as a spare when the DME-provided machine arrives. This is what I did.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 392 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.