Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Nasal stuffiness--help!
Cool 
RE: Newbie Nasal stuffiness--help!
I have the same problem and drives me NUTS!! I use a nasal mask and as soon as I put it on I am congested and have to breathe through my mouth! But....when I use a FFM....no congestion so go figure! What I think is....the air pressure coming in is too fast for the nasal mask but ok for the FFM. So I am still experimenting. The FFM is bulky. I wish you luck in finding what is right for you. CoolCool
Post Reply Post Reply
First things first folks. You should update your profiles to reflect the correct machine you have so it's easier to help rather than asking what machine you have. Like Phillips Remstar, would be better if it said PRS1 560 or PRS1 550 like that it makes it much easier for all of us with the same units to help faster and batter.

I have really bad allergies, and am almost always congested, except when I put on the nasal mask which for some unknown reason clears me right up.

For all the series 60 users the heated hose and heated humidifier makes a great difference as I have learned since upgrading and reviewing it in a different thread here. The preheat is hotter and the air is hotter so anyone needing hotter air should 100% consider it, and it is well worth it.

Now for people with breathing congestion issues, someone here mentioned using vicks vapor, not the rub or the petroleum based product but the version they make for the vaporizer. they apparently have something that goes in the vaporizer tank and helps with congestion. Someone was trying it and posting back, but I don't think they ever did post back. I heard it helps but don't know, may be worth a try putting a few drops in the tank to see if it helps.

I respect everyone using a FFM but I can't do it, even just the nasal masks annoy me, but if it works for you that's the way to go.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2014, 06:01 PM)Galactus Wrote: I have really bad allergies, and am almost always congested, except when I put on the nasal mask which for some unknown reason clears me right up.

For all the series 60 users the heated hose and heated humidifier makes a great difference as I have learned since upgrading and reviewing it in a different thread here. The preheat is hotter and the air is hotter so anyone needing hotter air should 100% consider it, and it is well worth it.

Now for people with breathing congestion issues, someone here mentioned using vicks vapor, not the rub or the petroleum based product but the version they make for the vaporizer. they apparently have something that goes in the vaporizer tank and helps with congestion. Someone was trying it and posting back, but I don't think they ever did post back. I heard it helps but don't know, may be worth a try putting a few drops in the tank to see if it helps.

I respect everyone using a FFM but I can't do it, even just the nasal masks annoy me, but if it works for you that's the way to go.

I have spring/fall pollen/mold allergies and run a mini-split A/C with a good filter to deal with that. I have sinus congestion all winter from the lack of humidity if I don't boil several gallons of water per day when it's subzero. The out-of-the-box humidifier setting on my ResMed S9 AutoSet with the heated ClimateLine hose works wonders. I go to bed congested and it clears up in a few minutes.

I switched to nasal pillows and I'd be really uncomfortable with my old nasal mask. I can't imaging dealing with a FFM. I haven't had a cold since I started CPAP in September so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2014, 08:44 PM)GeoffD Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 06:01 PM)Galactus Wrote: I have really bad allergies, and am almost always congested, except when I put on the nasal mask which for some unknown reason clears me right up.

I have spring/fall pollen/mold allergies and run a mini-split A/C with a good filter to deal with that. I have sinus congestion all winter from the lack of humidity if I don't boil several gallons of water per day when it's subzero. The out-of-the-box humidifier setting on my ResMed S9 AutoSet with the heated ClimateLine hose works wonders. I go to bed congested and it clears up in a few minutes.

I switched to nasal pillows and I'd be really uncomfortable with my old nasal mask. I can't imaging dealing with a FFM. I haven't had a cold since I started CPAP in September so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that.

I have to say I thought having a cold would be an issue, in fact I have had two colds. I put the mask on stuffy and viola in a few minutes I'm good. It amazed me the first time, and the second time. I must be easily amazed Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of it can be if your running too warm also on some folks. Im one of em. If I run the heated hose maxed out its to hot for me personally and apparently causes my nasal tissues to swell maybe with blood im not sure. High humidity and high heat will clear out congestion from a cold in a few minutes but then I need to turn the heat down on the tube or in a hour my nasal tissues will swell from the heat and theres no getting past that except put on a FFM for a while.

I also can clear out about anything using a FFM for a while then switch to nasal and be good for the night even on a bad night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 187 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 500 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 284 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.