Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Needs Help
Newbie Needs Help
I am about 3 weeks into my CPAP treatment and for the most part it has been going ok but I have several questions that I hope someone can help me with. During the last week or so I have been randomly taking the mask off my face and rolling over and going to sleep. My question is whether or not something could be causing me to be "uncomfortable" thus causing me to take the mask off and not really realizing it? Could my pressure (8-12) be too low or hi?

I was originally prescribed with a constant pressure of 6 which I determined was too low because I was constantly struggling to get more air. So I used the clinicians manual to put my S10 in auto mode with a setting of 8-12. I have also turned off the ramp and I have my EPR set to 3.

Last night after waking at 3:30 with the desire to take off the mask, I bumped my pressure up to 9-12 because I felt like I was struggling to get air and I feel back to sleep. Is it possible to need more pressure after you have been using a lower pressure for a period of time? Like I said, I don't remember most nights taking the mask off or what triggers this desire but I need some suggestions.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Needs Help
I've found that the EPR feature, while easier to breath during testing and at the start of sleep, caused more problems than it helped. After disabling it I had a much better quality of sleep and my AHI decreased. I will admit that it takes a few nights to get used to the pressure, especially when you first turn the CPAP on. You consider trying it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that tonight, Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KeepinMommaAwake,
Here is something you can try. As you are watching tv or reading during the evening, wear your mask and use your machine. This will help your body adjust to this new way of sleeping. Another thing, when you wake up and you discover that you have removed your mask, put it back on and go back to sleep. Don't feel bad about taking the mask off, it happens to people when they are new at CPAP therapy. AS you get used to it, you won't be as likely to do that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and just stick with it, it will get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KeepinMommaAwake,
What kind of feedback has Sleepyhead given you? What are AHI's on 6cm,8-12, 9-12. What's the leak rate? What's the 95% ,median ,maximum on each of the pressures? It would help give us a bigger picture in order to make suggestions. Did you sleep on your back and side during the sleep study? Did you have the epr on during the 6cm pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought but if your nose is stuffing during the night it can cause the urge to rip off the mask in your sleep. Yeah you can open your mouth but breathing in against the pressure running out of your mouth feels weird so you might be getting some congestion issues after you go to sleep. Like I said just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 11:28 AM)KeepinMommaAwake Wrote: Last night after waking at 3:30 with the desire to take off the mask, I bumped my pressure up to 9-12 because I felt like I was struggling to get air and I feel back to sleep. Is it possible to need more pressure after you have been using a lower pressure for a period of time?

Hi KeepinMommaAwake,

Yes, I think so.

I am most comfortable now with an IPAP of 10 or higher.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 375 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.