Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Needs Help - Dreamstation 1030X
RE: Newbie Needs Help - Dreamstation 1030X
Something must be corrupt on my computer. I uninstalled and deleted everything relating to Oscar. I went over to my laptop which has the previous Oscar beta on it and put my card in. It worked. Here's the data from last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Just saw your OSCAR charts. Looking now.

Some areas of note:
You need to access clinician mode and check on Essentials, you want to set it to Plus not On.

Ramp should be off if at all possible. It opens the door to any/all events to occur, as therapy does not happen on Ramp time.

How do you feel? Best answer is a detailed concise account of trying to sleep with the ASV and upon waking and going about the day. Note things that are different from before ASV, good or bad.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Large leaks weren't too bad, but my use of ASV taught me that the machine is sensitive to leaks. You may want to focus there some more to keep these as controlled as possible. Zero isn't needed but as low as you can consistently get without compromising comfort is best. If leaks are present on lower pressures, it's probably uncontrolled if the ASV blows harder. I'm seeing signs of that already; when pressure spikes, leaks spike as well.

Not bad of a chart for an ASV start. It's all a matter of tweaks to make it as best for you as possible.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not asleep during the ramp, I had to turn it on in order to fall asleep. I initially started out with no ramp, everything goes fine for 5-6 breaths but then I would get a "mega blast" of air that would inflate my nostrils. So anytime I got close to falling asleep this would wake me up and make my heart rate increase. I set the ramp for 15 minutes, but will gradually lower it with the hope of turning it back off at some point. 

Here are my current (and original) settings:
ASVAuto
Min: 6
Max: 15
Min PS: 3
Max PS: 15
Start EPAP: 4
Smart Start: On
Essentials: Plus

My machine says my AHI was 2.7, which would be my lowest AHI ever. I would say I feel pretty much the same as when I was using the Dreamstation... meaning I feel horrible. I feel very tired but not necessarily sleepy. I feel "foggy" in my brain, irritable, kinda slightly disoriented, I've got no energy. This is how I feel normally, so it's not new to ASV. What is new is that I slept through the night, yea! I have a slight ringing in my ears and "lightness of head" which is something I also felt when using BiPap but it was way worse on BiPap. 

When I first started BiPap, I remember after about 7 days on it, I woke up with energy and a great mood. That morning, I was like OMG it worked! I'm fixed! This is how I'm supposed to feel! I'm so happy! I remember feeling like this! I got it back, I can live again! But, it went away and never came back... that feeling of being rested. I've only had that feeling once in the past 5 years. That's what I'm chasing. 

I dont know if I'm explaining it properly. I dont know if it's a lack of oxygen or what. But somehow, even though my AHI was like 23 that night on the BiPAP machine, I woke up feeling amazing. Maybe it was a fluke. I hope this makes sense, it's hard to explain.
Post Reply Post Reply
I copy on all your assessment. I've been there. Any sleep debt will require an invested time of proper therapy to pay it back, but I think you already were aware of it.

I'm suggesting no need for any setting change, save for seeing if you may get to the point of eliminating the Ramp at some time.

A pointer on the blast of air while drifting off (your mega-blast): this is remedied via "Blow Back". It does not matter which mask type you have BTW. Be aware, it will happen again, but the frequency will diminish. Try this the next time it happens: the blow back...the ASV jolts you, blow back literally and moderately forcefully into your mask, immediate blow back against the jolt is best for results and sanity. This sends a signal to the ASV to back off. It will try again in the future, just repeat and it will eventually become less in events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the events flagged as UA are obstructive and possibly positional. Let's start raising EPAP min upward, starting at 7.0 and I would not mind seeing a soft cervical collar tried. There is an example of an ASV user in the wiki and while your events are much milder, they seem similar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar The UA events nearly always trigger out of your EPAP min pressure and cause an abrupt rise in pressure, so we will try to mitigate that with higher minimum EPAP pressure. As Dave points out, leaks are important with the ASV and your events also coincide with large leaks. Your median EPAP is over 9-cm so we want to slowly raise your minimum EPAP pressure and avoid these events to see where things start to level out. We don't want to go too quickly, and it's important to pay attention to how you feel as we make changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the feedback. Yes, I have a huge sleep debt to pay, but I had that tiny sliver of hope that I would be one of the lucky few who felt amazing overnight. But that would be too easy! 

I cant change the pressure without my doctor's go ahead. So I gotta send him an e-mail to justify the change. He usually responds pretty fast though.  

In a process of trial and error, Last night I decided to sleep with a chinstrap. It did not appear to help in any way, I required a nap 2 hours after I woke up from an 8 hour sleep. My AHI went from 2.7 up to 5. I slept mostly on my right side. I attached the results from the chinstrap night. How does this night compare to the previous? More of the same? 

+ I'm currently using nasal pillows, I am very much extremely comfortable with them but I'm open to any other type of mask if you think it would help. 
+ I've ordered a soft cervical collar, should be here early next week.

Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks look fine on this most recent. If you can keep it low, this is resolved. I agree you need an EPAP Min bump to 7, then view the results to evaluate. Your Median was 9.14. I think one or two below that on the EPAP Min setting would be very good.

I'd suggest to the doc you need EPAP Min set to 7, EPAP Max and Both PS as is for now. Then you access the setting menu and bump it to 7. Follow-up with doc on EPAP bump is to reduce events. Air splint isn't yet stable IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Muzic give a soft cervical collar a try. See the wiki in my signature links. Your machine is delivering the maximum pressure support available during those UA events which I'm certain are positional OA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a soft cervical collar otw. There were numerous options and various sizes to choose from. Even though I measured, a lot of the reviews said they ran long or short, so hopefully the one I got will work.  

Maybe this is just a coincidence, but last night I took a valium and my AHI was under 1 for the first time ever. Maybe I was kinda sedate and just didn't move around and tuck my chin? I dont like them, rarely take them, but the results are intriguing.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.