Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Needs Help Please
Newbie Needs Help Please
Ok I am a newbie to CPAP. I have only been using it for 2 weeks but it feels like 2 years. The first week I panicked most times and had to take it off. I switched masks and it is a little better. The person at the store turned up the starting pressure to 6 to help with the feeling of suffocation. I dislike that she has so much control over what the machine does. She said I could turn off the ramp if I am still feeling I need more air. The next adjustment will be to increase the pressure to 11-12. So that’s the back story. 

I am now using the machine 2.5 hours each night. I think it’s a bit more comfortable in that I’m not pulling at the mask the whole time. But I am awake for the whole 2.5 hours looking at the lock until I can take it off and go to sleep. So I am getting less sleep now than I was before. I am sleeping in very late because of not enough sleep. Thankfully I am on vacation this week and next so I have time to play with it. But I have to get this fixed Beto have to function at work again. Is there anything you can suggest? I have tried sleeping pills for a couple of nights but that hasn’t helped. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Needs Help Please
(12-24-2020, 11:16 AM)CanMFT Wrote: Ok I am a newbie to CPAP. I have only been using it for 2 weeks but it feels like 2 years. The first week I panicked most times and had to take it off. I switched masks and it is a little better. The person at the store turned up the starting pressure to 6 to help with the feeling of suffocation.

Lots of people go through the same thing. Your body will adapt. You just have to give it time.

Quote:I dislike that she has so much control over what the machine does.

Place the machine in "airplane mode". That will prevent it from communicating with the cell phone towers.

Quote:But I am awake for the whole 2.5 hours looking at the lock until I can take it off and go to sleep.

So you still have it in your mind that it's okay to sleep without the machine. You have to give up this mindset. Without the machine the sleep you're getting is of no help because you won't be able to fall into the deeper levels of sleep that are necessary for your health and well being. Plus, you increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Your body is getting a work out.

I promise that if you commit to using the machine all the time you are sleeping, even for a nap, you will adapt faster and be able to live a more fulfilling and happy life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To really give any help we need to see what is happening at night. You need to download OSCAR and get some of your nights charts posted. All of this (program and help is free). With out seeing your data it is impossible to give much guidance. 

Your settings can be changed at any time on your machine. Download a manual for your machine to see how to make changes (free manual at the top of the site)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask ad machine does take a bit of getting used to. However, you need to try to sleep with the machine running.
Maybe you are tightening the mask to much. If you are having trouble with the feeling of the mask on your face you need to disconnect the mask from the hose and machine and just sit with it on while watching TV or reading (if you can read with it on) or listen to some music.
After you get used to that sit with the machine running while watching TV, just until you get used to the mask being there.
After that you should be able to sleep with it on, you have to do this as it will only treat you when you are sleeping.
The machine is there to keep your throat clear when you are sleeping (best way to describe it) though it does a bit more than that.
But you need to try to help yourself, if you don't there is no point of having a machine.
I made up my mind when I got the machine that it was going to work for me come hell or high water, the machines than were a bit primitive compared to today's machines. Sometimes some people find the ramp is not for them and prefer to put it straight to full "Low" pressure or the set pressure, this will depend on whether you have a CPAP (constant pressure) or an APAP (automatic pressure) machine.
But the only person that can do it is yourself.
Please ask for advice if you need it, we are here to help you, even if sometimes it sounds as if we are having a go at you, we are not, it is just how you interpret things. So if you have a problem please ask for advice, we have all mostly been through it and some of us has been through hell like myself, but I had to make this work for me. Now I can't sleep without the machine. Honest, I simply can't sleep without it and I wonder why it ws so much trouble at the start of treatment.
The biggest problem by far is getting a mask that is for you, i went through every model the clinic had before the very last one worked, then I never looked back, yes I still had a few small problems, like it hurt in certain places, they stopped making it (at least supplying it) here and had to go through finding something that would work again. But they did give me all the spares they had meanwhile.
So I hope you do try to get used to the mask, then the machine and get a mask that you can use, i don't know if you are a mouth breather or or what equipment you have, but if you are a mouth breather it does limit what you can use. I used to be a mouth breather and had to train myself not to breath through my mouth, I finally got Nasal Pillows, made a good chin strap so as I couldn't open my mouth easily.
You just have to keep trying, I admit for some it is not easy, you might be one of these people that struggle, but getting the right mask, not having to tight (a big mistake for now comers, it should be just tight enough for it not to leak with the machine running. Most people pull it to tight, then hop into bed and find the mask hurts and leaks everywhere, so they tighten it even further making the problem even worse.
Tighten it until it is just snug on the skin, not tight, then lay down, start the machine and tighten it slowly working on all the straps until the leaks just stop. It is also quite common for you to wake up during the night to leaks, just slowly tighten the straps up until the leaks just stop and no more. Do not be tempted to pull it tight, this will distort the silicone seals and make leaks worse. I hope this has been a bit of a help, but if you need more help, just ask, they are a good bunch here and they will help if they can. I don't get here as often as I would like to, but if you need me send me a PM.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t know what Oscar is.
Post Reply Post Reply
You didn't mention if you are a nose or mouth breather. That will dictate what kind or type of mask to use. Find a mask that fits well and is comfortable. 

One you have accomplished that, just give it some time. It's all about ACCLIMATION. For some, it's more of a challenge to adapt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oscar is a
Computer program that your Cpap records are downloaded and are shown with graphs. It is download from the top of the site. From those graphs people who are very knowledgeable can give you guidance to help you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
canMFT: I just noticed you have an Auto for her ResMed Airsense 10.

Good machine. I see you are 6 to 10. Why did they restrict the machine to 10?
The machine will only go up to the pressure you require.
If they restrict it to 10 and you need 12 it can't help you.
If you find you are not getting enough air at 6 (which is very low) ask them to increase it to at least 8, this will give you a start pressure of 8 if you do not use Ramp (I found Ram useless, not enough air and it would cause a bit of panic) so I go straight to the "Low" pressure, but it is a bit higher them 8. Then when I need more pressure or flow the machine adjusts itself when I am sleeping. The nearer the max pressure the machine is set to the less chance you will be disturbed when sleeping.

The others will be asking you to download software, but it is important that you use the machine first.
After you get used to the machine, others can fine tune your treatment using the software.
They will point you to where to download it and how to use it.
But first, please persist and start using your machine, try to get used to the mask and then extend how long you can sleep with it on.
Remember, do not overtighten the mask, it is the most common mistake new people to treatment make. It does not matter to much if you get a slight leak when you start using the machine, you will get used to it and start to adjust it so it does not leak, it just takes a bit of getting used to. Most of us have been through it, that is why there are forums to help, but long time users tend to forget just how bad it can feel at the start and how hopeless one can feel. You are not alone, nor will you be alone or the last to feel this way.
You have Sleep Apnoa, get used to this fact and try helping yourself. We can give advice all day, but in the end you will have to try to help yourself. Do not feel frustrated, we have all been there!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2020, 12:16 PM)CanMFT Wrote: I don’t know what Oscar is.

It's wonderful free software developed by people in the apnea community.  See the link at the top of the page.  It takes the data from the SD card in your machine and turns them into graphs and numerical data that are very illuminating.  You do need a computer to use it, desktop or laptop.  If there isn't an SD card in the slot on the left side of your machine, just get whatever is cheap and the right size to fit.  If there isn't an SD card reader in your computer, you can get a cheapo reader that will plug into a USB port. With Oscar charts to go on, people here may be able to help you optimize your settings.  

Sleep2Snore has given some great advice about ways to get used to the "alien on your face."  I would also recommend that you not lie in bed awake for more than around 30 minutes.  Get up and read, or something else low key, and go back to bed only when you're sleepy.

Try a sleep aid for a few nights to see if that helps you get over the hump.  Your doctor could prescribe something like Ambien, or you could try an over-the-counter medication.  Do read the information here, from a trusted source:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes...t-20047860

Once you actually sleep with the set-up, you will probably start making faster progress toward sleeping all night with it.  Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2020, 12:16 PM)CanMFT Wrote: I don’t know what Oscar is.

OSCAR is a program that was developed by xPAP users to read the data that is on the SD card your machine uses.  At the top of this page there is a black menu bar, just click on OSCAR and it will bring you to the download page and choose the platform you are using (Windows, Mac, Linux).  Then install it on your computer.

If your xPAP machine doesn't already have one, you will need an SDHC card.  Any type from 2GB to 32GB will work.
You will also need an SD card reader (if your computer doesn't have one built in).

Use your machine with the SD card installed.  Then you would remove the SD card from your machine and put it in the reader where OSCAR can then import the data and display it.  If you look at some of the posts throughout the forum you can see the graphs that users post.  Those are all from OSCAR.  That data can be used to help fine tune your therapy and, hopefully, make the transition smoother.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.