Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
(08-20-2015, 02:58 PM)PoolQ Wrote: When you fall asleep the breathing rate, breathe depth, and waveform change and it uses some combination of these to start the ramp.

Hmmm, learn something new everyday. Thanks! I just read through the
ResMed manual, wasn't aware of the two ramp choices. It's hard to understand how it detects sleep.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mogulman.

Nice job!

AHI, leaks, and snores all look like they are within a reasonable range, so there is nothing that would suggest you need any adjustment. You could simply ride these settings out in hopes this trend toward higher usage rates (hrs/night) continues. Keep up the good work!

As for adjustment theory, as I see it unfolding in posts from many CPAP vets, the following is offered.

In a recent post on another thread (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid126608 [see post 16]), I noted, as others have:

Quote:What we usually find out is our own sweet spot ends up being above the original median pressure and no more than 2 cm below our original 95% pressure.

If I routinely had nights like your recent one (https://h8kaig.dm2302.livefilestore.com/...jpg?psid=1) I would seek to (over time) move my minimum pressure above 10.58 using Median value, and above 10.38 using the 95% value. For my machine, that would put me at 11.0 cmH2O so my range would be 11.0-16.0.

Most of our posters also indicate that the ramp feature should be gradually phased out once you are acclimated to the machine. I believe you would benefit if you eventually reduced or eliminated the ramp. I leave my ramp on, but have it start just 1 to 2 cmH2O below my start pressure.

If I had your current chart to base it on, I would set my ramp start at 8 cm. When I change my minimum treatment pressure to 10 (next week) I will also change my ramp to 9. Since I am trying to adjust my start pressure eventually to 11, I'll shift my ramp start as well to 10. If I stop feeling uncomfortable with the ramp start pressure, or I just get tired of changing it, I might just turn it off.

Anyway, none of the above is something you need to do now, as your readings seem fine. Just relax and get those huge chunks of sleep on a more consistent basis.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
So for the last 7-10 days I'm actually getting more used to the machine. I seem to be getting 7-8 hours most of the nights. I had a few nights where I was drinking on the weekend where I only got around 4 hours.

I guess the question is.... I still feel more tired after using the CPAP then before I used it. I never had symptoms prior to using the CPAP. Felt rested, never sleepy during the day. Now with the CPAP, I feel more tired during the day. Last summer I would exercise a lot. This summer, I've been more tired. Haven't felt like exercising. This has caused me to gain some weight.

Post Reply Post Reply
There could be several things going on.
I have been on CPAP for going on 2 months now and I seem to be finally getting comfortable with it, but this has not lasted long enough for me to trust that it will last yet

You just might need more time.

I have found that the comfort settings are very important to me and in the process of getting those right, I found that I had to go back and readjust a couple of them. For me some of them interacted with each other. You may also have made a small change in the right direction and now need to see if taking it farther will be better. I have a dry tank and temperature set at 63.

How are you doing exhaling into pressure? There is an EPR setting in the clinicians menu to change this. It will reduce pressure by up to 3 CM when you exhale. I think the default is 2. This was and still is a big issue for me. Talking to the Doc about a BiPAP this Tuesday.

I think your numbers are doing great and you have stopped the damage train. Dropping from 70 is HUGE!

It's now time for some more finish work to get your whole system tuned up.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I was pretty frustrated and almost ready to give up completely and return the CPAP. I was sleeping pretty well without it for a week. Went to see my regular Dr. (Not Pulmonologist who prescribed the CPAP). I mentioned that I didn't trust my original sleep study. I wanted to get another one at home sleeping normally for me. He said that would be pretty expensive because insurance probably wouldn't cover it. He suggested trying my CPAP machine at lower pressures to see if I could just get readings from the CPAP with little to no pressure.

I tried one night at 4-7 range. Had an AHI of 2.

Then I tried at 4 on CPAP mode. Also had an AHI of around 2, but woke once or twice because I felt like my breathing was restricted.

Strange stuff...

So I'm kind of on the fence. Maybe I'll try fixed CPAP mode of 6, 7 or 8 or something. See how that works. Getting closer to returning this though. Still not sure if its really doing anything useful for me, or if that original sleepstudy was a sham.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.