Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
(07-29-2015, 05:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Looks great, very stable therapy pressure. I'd increase the ramp minimum pressure or turn it off. You can see that you are using a lot of effort to breath at that low pressure for the first 25 minutes (see flow rate from start to 23:40). That would be relieved if you increased the starting pressure a bit or just turned off ramp if you can tolerate it. You shouldn't feel like you're sucking air through a straw.

Interesting you said that, because I did feel like it was hard to breath when I first go to bed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok... Here are links to the 2 nights that I've used the p10. Neither one was great. The second night on 7/29, I only used the CPAP for a little over 3 hours. I woke up, and wanted to get back to sleep quickly so I tore it off my head. Not sure exactly what happened, but I do remember taking it off.

To be honest, I'm more tired now that I'm using this thing, mostly because I keep waking up.

Here are the links...

7/28: First night with P10, Large pillows. http://1drv.ms/1Itezil
7/29: Second night with P10, medium pillows, also adjusted ramp pressure to 6.0. http://1drv.ms/1H7WGET
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll have good nights and bad nights sometimes.
It will take some time to get used to.
Stick with it and you'll adapt.
In case your doctor didn't give you the news, this therapy is like blood pressure medication in that
you'll be on it the rest of your life.

The machine helps keep you alive at night.

What's that saying?
"You should be on kindly terms with your ass for it bears you."

Take good care of your CPAP and it will take good care of you.

Keep up the good work!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate was acceptable both nights. The higher AHI on the night with large pillows is not too much of a concern as most of the difference is CA events. Increasing ramp pressure was a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night seemed a little better. Woke up 2x. First time, I'm not sure why, but didn't want to give up on the CPAP, so I went to the bathroom (even though I didn't really need to), came back and put it on again. From the chart, it looks like that was around 1:15am.

Second time I woke up, was at around 4am. It was hard to breath through the CPAP at this point. I tried readjusting it. The right nostril on my nose was a little clogged (not completely), so maybe that was it. I got up finally and blew my nose.

When I woke up in the morning, I noticed my throat was kind of dry. Thought maybe I was mouth breathing. Then I saw that the humidifier was bone dry. I guess I used a lot more water last night. Maybe that contributed to the 4am wakeup also.

My wife said after I was sleeping for a bit, I was mumbling in my sleep and the CPAP sounded like it was leaking because it was louder. Maybe it was just louder because the pressure increased from when I went to sleep though?

Here is a screen shot:
http://1drv.ms/1eFWLJb
Post Reply Post Reply
For someone not sure they are using this long-term, you're sure doing a bang-up job.

I have forgotten to refill the humidifier on occasion and awakened running on empty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2015, 08:47 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For someone not sure they are using this long-term, you're sure doing a bang-up job.

I have forgotten to refill the humidifier on occasion and awakened running on empty.

I want to give it a good shot anyway.....

Trying to decide if I'm going to take this thing on my trip next week. Riding a train from Denver to CA, and SF for a week. Seems like a hassle. Do people take them with them, or is it a big deal to miss a week?

I don't really understand the charts that much yet, but I was wondering... It seems like my leak rate was up and down a lot more around 2:15. I wonder if the mask/pillows were coming off, or that was when the humidifier went dry. After 4am, I woke up, and then it wasn't leaking so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
have cpap, will travel!

mine goes where i go.... and i never sleep without it!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
It's impractical to use it on the train, but once you arrive, it can be used at the hotel. I have always used mine whether traveling overnight, weekend or extended business trip.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I take mine wherever, including to the hospital last month. I hate sleeping without it, now.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 371 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.