Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
When I try breathing deeply with the P10 pillows (even with them disconnected from the machine), I feel like I can almost breath normally with the large size. With medium, it feels like my exhale is restricted. The large size seems a little big for my nose/face though, it rubs against my face, irritates it.

Maybe I'll try the large again tonight, and see if I can use it with some lotion on the edge of my nose.

I sent an email to the local provider of the device, to see if they had any other suggestions, or maybe if I should just go back to the Wisp nose mask. No response from them yet.

I think by the end of this week, either something will click, or I will be ditching the CPAP. Again, I know the benefits, but if I can't sleep with it, the exhaustion is worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
The provider of the CPAP said I should probably just return the CPAP. He didn't really have any other suggestions. I'll probably see how it goes until the end of the week, then maybe just return it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to tell what is going on that is causing you the real trouble mogulman.
The SleepyHead software should shed some light on things and help indicate
what issue needs to be worked on.

Apology-2

I hope you will reconsider and give the software another try.

Best of luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry to hear that you might give the machine a heave-ho, as you really are getting therapy that is needed. I hope you are asking a doctor about alternatives. just living with apnea will be ... interesting. stay close to your emergency room, and have a friend check up on you routinely.

I would mention the fast respiration to your doctor. I would be more inclined to say you should trial a BIPAP machine versus dumping all machines. Also, I forget if they (or you) checked oxygen desaturation. Your sleep study should have reported this, usually called SpO2. If it is bad enough, supplemental O2 may help.

You mentioned skiing and higher altitude activities. Do you notice yourself just breathing overall better at the higher altitudes? That may be something to mention in passing to your doctor as well.

Also, it is not unheard of to have medical conditions that appear upon starting CPAP, as apnea sometimes masks underlying issues that may not have been obvious before.

Should you decide that CPAP does not suit you, please consider tests to determine if your apnea is positional so you can keep from sleeping in a position (on your back or side) that causes more problems.

Good luck,

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm...well.. Last night I seem to be able to sleep ok with it. I used the Large Pillows. I think that is the key. The medium pillows seem to restrict my airflow too much. I guess I just need to make sure I use some lotion or something around my nose if it starts to get irritated. Maybe try large a few more nights.

Here is my chart, from last night.
http://1drv.ms/1f7YU0y

I have a followup with the Pulmonologist in a month. What would I bring him from the sleepyhead software? A Screenshot? some exports?
I'm assuming he would understand what the results show.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 10:58 AM)mogulman Wrote: Hmm...well.. Last night I seem to be able to sleep ok with it. I used the Large Pillows. I think that is the key. The medium pillows seem to restrict my airflow too much. I guess I just need to make sure I use some lotion or something around my nose if it starts to get irritated. Maybe try large a few more nights.

Here is my chart, from last night.
http://1drv.ms/1f7YU0y

I have a followup with the Pulmonologist in a month. What would I bring him from the sleepyhead software? A Screenshot? some exports?
I'm assuming he would understand what the results show.

Hi mogulman,
Glad you are still hanging I there. Don't wait for your nose to get sore, you can use a small dab of lanolin cream or nasal gel each night. It keeps nasal passages lubricated and helps with a better seal.

As far as your pressure settings go....I would turn off that ramp feature.
Your pressure graph shows that you are at 15cm for 95% of the night.
I would try for a goal starting pressure of 12 with a max of 16.
I say a goal, because you don't want to make a change from 9 to 12 all at once.
Turn it up to 10 and watch for a few days, then keep turning the minimum number up until you are 1 or 2 cm under your 95% number.
You should then see a difference in your AHI readings.

By all means, print out some info for your Pulmonologist to look at.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try it with Ramp off.

I have had some days where the 95% was around 11.5, so maybe I don't want to go all the way to 12, but maybe 10 to 16 is good.

For printing out, or bringing info to a pulmonologist, what do I bring? Do I bring a screenshot? Anyone show the sleepyhead data to a Dr before? Is there a standard thing they are used to seeing?

I know my Dr. doesn't get data directly from Resmed from the modem data feed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a note that 95% of the night you were under 15 cmH2O. A lot of the night you are significantly below that.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had my 30 day follow up yesterday and brought sleepyhead data. Doc thumbed through one days worth and then set it aside. He had heard of sleepyhead but never saw the screens before.

Some people like lots of data and some don't.

His focus was "are you compliant? If not what can be done about it" I was compliant, so that ended that. He is a good doc, just that his job is to diagnose, treat, and make sure the treatment is "working" and not put lipstick on the pig. I happen to be waking up a lot, but that does not impact my compliance-so what's the big deal.

For my Doc to get the data from Resmed, my DME had to put him into the system. If he is in the system or just does not care, then your Doc is not a data person.

I suggest thinking about compliance and what you want out of the visit that would lead to better compliance. If you phrase it that way, you will get his attention.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think he is a data guy. Should I, or he care about compliance? Not sure why I care about that? I see that a lot in the resmed literature, usleep, etc.. I'm not being forced to use it, so what is compliance?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 293 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.