Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
RE: Newbie. Not sure if I'll be using a CPAP long term
Silicones do break down from petrolium products. But is impervious to water/alcohol based cleaning products.
Some of the stuff from "Burts Bees" is all beeswax based.
Lanolin products are good. You can find those in baby care products.
Lansinoh is one that works well and you can even use it as a sealing compound.

Hope this helps!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having some bad usage the last 3-4 days. I only got an hour on Monday. I talked to a lady from the company that provided my device, I think this is called DME? Not sure what the acryonym DME is.

I had been trying to sleep on my back. She suggested trying to sleep like I would without the device. Put the CPAP above my head and then try sleeping on my side. I did that last night. I also tried turning down the humidity and turning off the temp on my hose, to see if maybe the warm air was messing me up. I really am used to the cold dry CO air.

I got about 8+ hours last night. I woke up a few times but went back to sleep after a few seconds/minutes. I'll have to look at the sleepyhead stuff later. Seemed better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you have started to find the path to greater comfort.

DME is durable medical equipment, and it's shorthand for the companies that generally supply the CPAP machines and supplies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my sleepyhead stuff from last night. Seems like a little leakage a few times, but that's all I could really gather. I wish this showed humidity. I have the humidity set at 2-3, with the heated hose turned off for this.

Anyone have any insight on this? I'm still trying to figure out if there is anything interesting I can discern from these readings.

http://1drv.ms/1U0lJRt

Not sure if my ability to sleep longer this time, was due to:
-sleeping on my side instead of my back from the start
-having the CPAP above my head rather to the side so when I roll I'm not getting caught up.
-not using the heated tube
-turning humidity down from auto to 2.
-just random because I was tired
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mogulman,
Your AHI is coming down, so it looks like your heading in the right direction.

Just a suggestion, turn your minimum pressure up to 10, and turn ramp off. If you feel you need the ramp, then set it to start at 7.5 or 8 for 10 to 15 minutes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2015, 01:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi mogulman,

Just a suggestion, turn your minimum pressure up to 10, and turn ramp off. If you feel you need the ramp, then set it to start at 7.5 or 8 for 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'd like to understand why you think this? So I can see how to do this myself for the future.

Right now ramp time setting is set for auto, which seems like a good idea because then I can watch TV or something for a time, then it can ramp up when I doze off.

I have ramp pressure as 6. It was 4 when I got the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2015, 01:35 PM)mogulman Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion... I'd like to understand why you think this? So I can see how to do this myself for the future.

Right now ramp time setting is set for auto, which seems like a good idea because then I can watch TV or something for a time, then it can ramp up when I doze off.

If you look at your pressure graph, once you ramp up to your pressure of 9, it doesn't stay there too long. Your pressure hangs between 10.5 and 12 for between 50% and 95% of the night, with a couple spikes to 13.

Also look at chart to left that gives the Medium, 95% and Max pressure numbers, and you can see and compare that on the graph.

It may be that this small change could lessen the Obstructives and bring your AHI down a little more.

If your not comfortable moving it to 10, try 9.5 and watch it for awhile.

As far as the ramp goes, the machine doesn't know when you are awake or sleeping.
As soon as you have your mask on, and the CPAP is running, the ramp will start up regardless if you are awake or asleep. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

Good luck and glad you are sticking with it.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2015, 02:00 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 01:35 PM)mogulman Wrote:

If you look at your pressure graph, once you ramp up to your pressure of 9, it doesn't stay there too long. Your pressure hangs between 10.5 and 12 for between 50% and 95% of the night, with a couple spikes to 13.

Also look at chart to left that gives the Medium, 95% and Max pressure numbers, and you can see and compare that on the graph.

It may be that this small change could lessen the Obstructives and bring your AHI down a little more.

If your not comfortable moving it to 10, try 9.5 and watch it for awhile.

As far as the ramp goes, the machine doesn't know when you are awake or sleeping.
As soon as you have your mask on, and the CPAP is running, the ramp will start up regardless if you are awake or asleep. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

I have the same CPAP machine and the part about the ramp might need some clarification. The machine does indeed know when you are asleep and when set to auto does start to ramp up the pressure after you have gone to sleep. He is having zero events pre-ramp or during the ramp time, so there is nothing wrong with using auto ramp, I use it and like it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2015, 02:00 PM)OpalRose Wrote: As far as the ramp goes, the machine doesn't know when you are awake or sleeping.

OK, I had to go back to my early days when I used the Auto Ramp feature. My graphs show the pressure stays at the Ramp Start pressure for from 7-9 to 30 minutes. I'm not sure how it decides to raise the pressure, but when it does, the pressure rises to miniumum therapy pressure in about one minute!
I changed to Timed Ramp a couple of months in, and now the pressure rises smoothly from the Ramp Start pressure to minimum therapy pressure over the five minutes that I set for Ramp Time. I like that better, and my nightly average AHI went down a little bit.
Of course, what you like may be different, but that's how my APAP machine works.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
When you fall asleep the breathing rate, breathe depth, and waveform change and it uses some combination of these to start the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.