Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - Problems Exhaling
Newbie - Problems Exhaling
Another problem has popped up in the last two nights using my S9 Autoset. It's supposedly set up in Auto mode with a 4-20"H2O pressure range.

I woke up both nights in the early morning feeling I was in a wind tunnel. I wasn't inhaling so much as having air shoved into my lungs (and stomach) at a constant 13.5"H2O pressure. My diaphragm muscles were fatigued and it was difficult to exhale. Being awake at this point, I normalized my breathing bit the pressure did not decrease. I shut off and restarted the brick, but had the same problems after the machine ramped up. Is it possible that it's in manual mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Problems Exhaling
The question is whether or not EPR has been enabled in "Full Time" mode in the Clinician's Menu. Hopefully so. If that's the case, you should have access to EPR settings when you press the bottom silver button (with two check marks on it). It should be the first menu choice. Be sure to set it to 3 for starters. It allows you to exhale at a lower pressure, which helps alot when first starting out. Smile

(08-18-2013, 12:33 PM)wintermute Wrote: Another problem has popped up in the last two nights using my S9 Autoset. It's supposedly set up in Auto mode with a 4-20"H2O pressure range.

I woke up both nights in the early morning feeling I was in a wind tunnel. I wasn't inhaling so much as having air shoved into my lungs (and stomach) at a constant 13.5"H2O pressure. My diaphragm muscles were fatigued and it was difficult to exhale. Being awake at this point, I normalized my breathing bit the pressure did not decrease. I shut off and restarted the brick, but had the same problems after the machine ramped up. Is it possible that it's in manual mode?

Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like what happens when you have excessive leaks. The S9 attempts to compensate by increasing the pressure up to the limit you specify (20 in your case)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 12:33 PM)wintermute Wrote: I woke up both nights in the early morning feeling I was in a wind tunnel. I wasn't inhaling so much as having air shoved into my lungs (and stomach) at a constant 13.5"H2O pressure. My diaphragm muscles were fatigued and it was difficult to exhale. Being awake at this point, I normalized my breathing bit the pressure did not decrease. I shut off and restarted the brick, but had the same problems after the machine ramped up. Is it possible that it's in manual mode?

Hi wintermute, welcome to the forum!

I would turn unit off (if on/off button has a lighted LED, hold down on/off button about 5 second until power turns off) wait 5 seconds, and unplug unit for a minute and plug in again.

On the other hand, you probably are needing the high pressure and will need some time to get used to it. Your breathing muscles will be stronger in a week or so.

One thing you can do to probably improve (lower) how much pressure you need, is to make sure you stay off your back while asleep. I wear a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between the shoulder blades.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you need to bump the upper limit down to about 12cm. let yourself acclimate at that pressure.
(about a week)
Get SleepyHead up and running and learn how to read the reports (from this site of course)
The next week if you are still showing a high AHI from the reports bump the pressure up 1-2cm.
run another week and re-accilmate.
Do this like a stair-step process and you'll nail down the best pressure for yourself.
It works! Smile
Since the machine can only do so much,
SleepyHead will help you pinpoint leaks and several other problems that are common.
You still need to engage the little grey cells and you'll be on the right path in no time!

Cheers and Best of luck!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 67 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 348 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,066 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 104 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 184 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 163 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 488 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.