Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Full face mask
Full face mask
I use just a nasal mask, but I have a full face mask, but the high pressure (18cm) causes my cheeks to expand and is quite uncomfortable, is there a way around this with the full face mask? Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask
I don't have experience with that high pressure but hopefully someone else will, if we bring your post back to the top.
Just for clarification, are you talking about getting air pressure inside your mouth so that your checks puff up, sort of? Is that because you open your mouth or without opening your mouth? Either way, I would try to train your tongue to sit firmly up against the roof of your mouth with the tip just behind your upper teeth. Try it out, it is possible to block air from entering your mouth in this manner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi evhaire,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First off, why do you want to use a full-face mask instead of a nasal mask?  

I don't recall this happening when I used a full-face mask at 15cm H2O, but I was probably not mouth breathing when awake.  What you describe is to be expected.  It is doing to your cheeks exactly what it is intended to do to your airways.  The only way to avoid that is to breathe exclusively through your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
some find getting a nasal to seal at high pressures a hard job and move to a FFM

I had that trouble when I started. I don't get it now.
Try sucking your tongue to the roof of your mouth, the way they do for mouth breathing and nasal masks. It depends whether its coming from your throat and passing in through open lips.
If you can't get it livable, there is the mask that covers the whole face.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that problem but all I had to do was stop and restart the machine. Once it started I couldn't stop it until the machine was restarted. YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,601 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.