Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Question
Newbie Question
I have a general question for you guys.  I've been using CPAP for 2 months and everything (readings,getting used to sleeping with mask,etc.) has been fine.  I believe I have had Sleep Apnea for many years and was totally exhausted when I received my diagnosis.  I felt better immediately.  Here is my question/concern.  I am still very tired.   Does it take a certain amount of time to recoup one's energy level totally--and is that even possible?  I am retired, so I am able to get in 8 hours of quality sleep and the instances of apnea came down from 73 per hour to 1.5.   I'm just concerned that this is as good as I will feel and that I have damaged by body for so long that there is little hope of a recovery.    Your personal stories would be very helpful to me at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question
It does take time for most of us. It's going to take 3-12 months for your brain to repair
http://www.sleep-apnea-guide.com/sleep-a...brain.html
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you explain a little more about "brain repairing"? I don't understand what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea damages the brain's white and gray matter, it takes a while to return to a normal state. The link I posted and the studies that are also linked in the article would answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25142557
Results in pre-treatment OSA patients showed impairments in most cognitive areas, mood and sleepiness that were associated with diffuse reduction of WM fiber integrity reflected by diminished fractional anisotropy (FA) and mean diffusivity (MD) in multiple brain areas. After 3 months of CPAP, only limited changes of WM were found. However, over the course of 12 months CPAP treatment, an almost complete reversal of WM abnormalities in all the affected regions was observed in patients who were compliant with treatment. Significant improvements involving memory, attention, and executive-functioning paralleled WM changes after treatment.
CONCLUSIONS:
Changes of WM DTI "signatures" of brain pathology in OSA patients are appreciable over the course of 12-month treatment with CPAP in most of the regions involved. Recovery of cognitive deficits after treatment is consistent with the presence of a reversible structural neural injury in OSA in patients who were compliant with treatment.

full study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4153061/
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi suzpigott,
Like you, I've had sleep apnea many years before being diagnosed.  Untreated SA over a period of many years can no doubt do damage to your body.  

Your AHI was 73 before treatment.  That means you stopped breathing 73 times an hour.  

That's a constant dozing off and being aroused all night.  Alot of that you're not even aware is happening, but the damage accumulates over time if left untreated.  This can cause or aggrevate already existing illnesses, like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.  
Your AHI is 1.5, so you are doing well with that.

The good news is that once you are on therapy for awhile, many (including myself) find that some things improve, like high blood pressure.  

Be sure you have regular checkups and blood work done to rule out anything else that might cause you to feel tired.  Having low Vitamin D levels and a Thyriod out of kilter can be culprits.

Like you, I adapted to therapy easily enough, but it did take almost 8 months to start feeling like I had more energy.  Give it some time.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your comment.  It gives me hope!   And I think keeping a positive attitude will help get me back to feeling 100%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely check for other things too.  Taking Vitamin D supplements after a year of feeling like you do now helped me a lot.  I recommend getting your levels tested and working with a doctor and regular re-tests to get you levels up to the mid range.  I had to go it alone and was taking 15K IU a day for a couple of week and and now down to 4-5K IU a day (and it is summer).  I think that low Testosterone was also having an effect, but I think that you can rule that out!   Grin  Don't assume that sleep apnea is the only issue.  Keep digging.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had annual physical 3 months ago and all my panels are normal. I take Vit D and Magnesium supplement daily. I am on anti depression med and BP med. I believe the culprit is my current weight -- gained 40 pounds in 4 years and I have no motivation to get up and move. But I'm trying to set small goals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi suzpigott,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It takes time for your body to get used to CPAP therapy, so hang in there, it dose get better.
It sounds like you are off to a pretty good start.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
How much Vitamin D you do take?  Most recommendations are woefully inadequate. 

When I responded to CPAP therapy, my depression was almost totally resolved.  Have hope!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 393 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.