Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Question -- How can I tell if I am asleep?
Newbie Question -- How can I tell if I am asleep?
    [attachment=1668]After 9 days of therapy, life is already much better.

However, for the last three nights, I am seeing a pattern that did not exist in the first 6 nights:

I will wake up at 3:30 am, go to the bathroom, and then lay in bed for a while. It is hard to tell when I fall asleep. I can feel myself going through a rhythmic breathing pattern which may even be similar to what Sleepyhead labels as Cheynes-Stokes. In the morning, when I look at the chart, that is what is shown. However, I am not sure if the pattern occurs when i am awake or not. How can I tell the next day whether an event occurred during sleep or during wakefulness?

Second question: The more disturbing part of the pattern is that I will enter a 15-26 minute period of CAs or OAs interspersed with the Cheynes-Stokes.

Please note, that before I got up, I had an AHI of 2.3. I was excited to see that at 3:30 am.

However, the 15-26 minute period will cause my overall AHI to drop to 6. Of course, looking at the 26 minute period, my AHI is up to 20 or more for that period.

I know that everyone will tell me to rush to a doctor. I probably should, but I do not like doctors (no insurance, no money, and no time) and am hoping that someone else has seen this and has a solution.

Here is the ugly chart:

[Image: dateposted-public]

[I tried to post these using shared images on flickr, but it did not work. The attachments are now at the top of the post.]

Any ideas on
1. How to tell if I was asleep and
2. What I can do to address these CAs and OAs right after I lay down in the middle of the night?

thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question -- How can I tell if I am asleep?
You can't tell when you're asleep without some of the gear used in a sleep study.

Each of your CA's are very short, so I wouldn't worry about them. Wait about a week to see if they go away. Then if you're still concerned contact your doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 12 44 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.