Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Question on CA Flows
Newbie Question on CA Flows
    Why does each CA event on my flow chart start with a large inhale and exhale just before the no-flow portion?
(See attached).

Just curious,
Eric
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question on CA Flows
(12-23-2014, 05:40 PM)Bubster Wrote: Why does each CA event on my flow chart start with a large inhale and exhale just before the no-flow portion?

Hi Bubster, welcome to Apnea Board!

As far as I know, our systems do not directly sense how much O2 is in our blood. Our systems sense how much CO2 is in our blood, and if the CO2 is too high then we get a stronger urge to breathe more.

A common cause for CA events is breathing deeply and washing out too much CO2. As soon as the CO2 builds up back to normal, we regain the urge to breathe and do so with normal effort. I think this type of CA may be less stressful to our systems than an obstructive apnea where we are struggling to breathe but cannot, leading to greater effort and a more explosive restart of breathing.

Your CAs look normal and I think are nothing to be concerned about. It is considered normal to have a few CAs per hour, as long as the AHI is less than 5.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.