Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie ! Questions !
Newbie ! Questions !
Hi, New to this board but long time sufferer with sever sleep issues !

I have been only able to sleep between 2-4 hours a night for years now, When I wake up I cant get back to sleep and even if I do its for a VERY short period and am at the end of the road. I cant get a sleep study done in my area no sooner than 4 months out !! So I bought a used CPAP machine " Resmed S9 Elite HI5 " just to try and see if it would help me as I have many of the symptoms of sleep apnea.

I tried it for the first time last night and hated it !! It felt like it was blowing my mouth up even on exhale so I removed it after 45 mins, I have it set to CPAP, Set pressure at 7 Start pressure at 4, EPR at full, EPR level at 2 EPR inhale at Med.

I really want to try this out and see if it would help me, Can someone please help me with this ?

Thank You !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie ! Questions !
The first thing is to find out what's actually going on. If you can't get a sleep study for four months, you'll need to find a way to get used to that machine. There are different kinds of masks to try, and different people have very individualized preferences for these things. But the first thing is to get through a few nights with what you have, and look at the data readout in the mornings. You say you have severe sleep apnea, but it's not clear how you know that. There are other sleep problems that can cause daytime drowsiness, headaches, and so on. But if you can start getting some data from the machine, that'll give you something to work with.

Some people have an initial problem exhaling into any kind of positive air pressure. My best suggestion is to set the pressure even lower, so you can get used to it. Once you can sleep for a few hours, you can check your AHI in the morning and see just how severe your apnea is. After that, you can begin to increase the pressure gradually. Ideally, all of this should happen during sleep studies, but I can't see any reason not to try to do something on your own during the four months, as long as you proceed cautiously.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 09:48 AM)yzf125 Wrote: I tried it for the first time last night and hated it !! It felt like it was blowing my mouth up even on exhale so I removed it after 45 mins, I have it set to CPAP, Set pressure at 7 Start pressure at 4, EPR at full, EPR level at 2 EPR inhale at Med.

EPR settings are 1, 2, or 3. Set it at 3 for maximum comfort.

It sounds like you are confusing EPR with ramp. You can have a starting pressure of 4 and have it "ramp" up to 7 during a set number of minutes.

You will need to get SleepyHead software so you can see if you do indeed suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, and if a pressure of 7 adequately treats it.

Beyond that, it's all up to you. For some of us sleeping with a CPAP machine is very difficult and requires a strong commitment.

Be aware that you are taking risks with your self-treatment. If you are going to do that, then you definitely need to monitor things with SleepyHead software.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are not a mouth breather, you might also want to try nasal pillows or a nasal mask. You may find them more comfortable or easier to tolerate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies !! I dont know if I have apnea or not, I just relate to a lot of the symptoms and figured I would just try it.. I am a mouth breather so I think I am stuck with the full face mask which I totally despise !!

I know about the ramp time and what it does, I watched lots of videos and read the manual well but still Im a little confused about it as I just got it yesterday. Would I be better off with the " Auto Set " model ? I am just very desperate at this point and feel like Im not going to make it much longer if I dont get some sort of sleep, My body is just shutting down and it just feels like the end is near to be really honest.. Thats why I went this route to just buy one. I will try it again tonight with the setting equal to the start pressure and see if that helps.

So the EPR at 3 should be the least resistance on exhale ? Is there any other settings I should be concerned with ?

Thanks again for the Help !!
Post Reply Post Reply
It would have been easier to titrate yourself with an Auto Cpap, but you already bought the
S9 Elite which is a straight pressure machine, so we work with what you have.

A pressure of 7 is reasonable, with an EPR (exhale relief pressure) set to 3.
Ramp is optional...start it at 4 for 30 minutes.

You will need to download the Sleepyhead software to monitor your progress. There is no other way to determine if you will need to lower or raise pressure.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Let us know how you feel.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 03:08 PM)yzf125 Wrote: So the EPR at 3 should be the least resistance on exhale ?

Yes.

Quote:Is there any other settings I should be concerned with ?

You need to fall asleep strapped on and then look at the data using SleepyHead software. If you have obstructive sleep apnea, the data will show it. Possibly after just one nap. But you have to fall asleep wearing the mask while the machine is running.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 04:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You need to fall asleep strapped on and then look at the data using SleepyHead software.

I am so bad, I am sorry, but I just can't resist... Smile

How is one to look at the data using sleepyhead while asleep?

(ducks and runs...)
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I think falling asleep with this thing is my biggest challenge unfortunately...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yzf125,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with trying your machine, it can take some getting used to, so just be patient. Some take to this therapy right away and others have a very difficult time.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, don't give up and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.