Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Questions - opinions sought, various issues
RE: Newbie Questions
(01-23-2015, 11:50 AM)tg73 Wrote: Night one on the APAP machine resulted in 20.6 events per hour
Night two on the APAP machine resulted in 17.4 events per hour

(01-23-2015, 01:24 PM)tg73 Wrote: Night 1 with machine = 2.692 events per hour
Night 2 with machine = 2.843 events per hour

Hi tg73,

For example, to get the Apnea Index, one would divide the number of apneas while asleep, by the number of hours of sleep.

ASV machines can treat both obstructive and central apneas and hypopneas, but unless your treated CAI (the average per hour during sleep of the number of central apneas, while being treated by a Positive Airway Pressure machine) is at least 5, I think insurance companies usually will not cover an ASV machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quiescence, I've had a quick look at the side effects for Adderall but don't see sleep apnea (OSA or CSA) listed. (Which doesn't mean it can't happen, of course). In answer to your question, no I don't have ADHD - quite the opposite, I'm probably too relaxed and lazy. Wink

Regarding tg73's situation, the diagnosis test shows effectively zero obstructive apneas, a lot of centrals and a lot of hypopneas (which could be central or obstructive in nature - we don't know). On the machine, he is clearly having a great preponderance of centrals. Ordinary CPAP and APAP machines are great for obstructive apnea but no use for centrals. Hence my advice to at least try an ASV machine, as I'm sure the Autoset isn't going to do much good. You could be right that the medication is causing part of the problem, but playing around with an Autoset isn't going to fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 12:23 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day TG73, welcome to the forum.

The fact that you had primarily central apneas without the machine and you still continue to have centrals with the machine indicates that your diagnosis should be central apnea. I think "obstructive sleep apnea" is a default diagnosis they use for all types. Don't waste time adjusting settings - that machine will not do the job. You need a ResMed Aircurve ASV (or equivalent ASV machine from another manufacturer). http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...0-asv.html

Hi tg73,

What DeepBreathing wrote.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Message deleted
Post Reply Post Reply
db come back!
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey I'm back! The deleted message was just something that had been superseded by the time I got around to posting it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 10:14 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: @tg73 - your Tidal Volume numbers look fine. Let me ask you, do you regularly have vivid dreams, and do you remember having them many times a night?

I actually don't have many vivid dreams or if I do I don't remember them. I may remember one dream per week....but it's your standard weird dream like people you know who don't look like the people you know are doing whatever and comedic mayhem ensues.....(I guess that's normal)

Thanks guys....I am still trying to get accustomed to this machine/new way of life. So far my sleep has been worse than ever...certainly worse than without the machine. For me the worst thing is:
I drift off to sleep while the machine is at 5....by the time it ramps to 9 it wakes me up because I am having to breathe out SOOOO forcefully, the effort to breathe out wakes me up. Not to mention if I get an itch near my nose or mouth I cannot scratch it without stopping the machine, removing the mask, itching, replace the mask, restart the machine then spend the next hour TRYING to go back to sleep.

I certainly salute you guys who have to do this every night....this has proven to be far more challenging than I could have imagined.

Still not giving up......

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 01:04 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Quiescence, I've had a quick look at the side effects for Adderall but don't see sleep apnea (OSA or CSA) listed. (Which doesn't mean it can't happen, of course). In answer to your question, no I don't have ADHD - quite the opposite, I'm probably too relaxed and lazy. Wink

Regarding tg73's situation, the diagnosis test shows effectively zero obstructive apneas, a lot of centrals and a lot of hypopneas (which could be central or obstructive in nature - we don't know). On the machine, he is clearly having a great preponderance of centrals. Ordinary CPAP and APAP machines are great for obstructive apnea but no use for centrals. Hence my advice to at least try an ASV machine, as I'm sure the Autoset isn't going to do much good. You could be right that the medication is causing part of the problem, but playing around with an Autoset isn't going to fix it.

Hi DB

I agree and have posted the question back to the doctor to verify that I AM indeed on the correct machine per his diagnosis.....at this time his reply simply states, keep using the machine and the real question should be "Am I feeling better on it" to which I will answer NO....but I am going to give it AT least a full week before I do that...maybe 10 nights of use to be certain it's not just an acclimation issue. I know it can take some people longer than others but I would expect that I might feel somewhat better if in fact my "excessive daytime sleepiness" was caused by the apnea.

Thanks to all of you who have replied...it's nice to have this group of experienced users to bounce all of these newbie questions/concerns off of. If nothing else i can certainly say that apnea sufferers are one of the most supportive and helpful groups I have ever encountered! Sleep On!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Questions - opinions sought, various issues
@tg73 - I do think your daytime sleepiness is from apnea, but as we have seen, it seems to be mostly central apnea.

If it does not calm down, and you go to this ASV machine, you need to know it will be even more forceful in telling you to breathe vs. arranging the conditions that best enable you to breathe. When it says you can exhale, it will help by reducing the pressure by a greater degree than the machine you currently have. But, it will also tell you when it had decided you "will" inhale, boy howdy it'll cut your exhale, but bang.

This is why I thought you would want to try some of my suggestions.

I also believe that you're lack of having recalled dreaming can indicate that you did not get REM sleep, where {usually} dreams occur. This is, by far, the greatest indicator and cause of feeling unrested, and fuzzy headed. Bad bad feeling.

Sorry, and hope you find a way to combat this soon.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 01:04 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Quiescence, I've had a quick look at the side effects for Adderall but don't see sleep apnea (OSA or CSA) listed. (Which doesn't mean it can't happen, of course). In answer to your question, no I don't have ADHD - quite the opposite, I'm probably too relaxed and lazy. Wink

Actually, while Adderall probably doesn't cause apnea, apnea has certainly caused people to be diagnosed with ADHD! Perhaps your ADHD will improve or disappear... won't that be nice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 50 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 186 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.