Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie. Second hand Resmed s9 user
Newbie. Second hand Resmed s9 user
Hi everyone. Been watching this forum recently and appears I feel i should be a part of it ?. 

Long story short. Completed a sleep assesment about 2 years ago and due to a lack of funds and a resistance to accept the sleep apnea diagnosis its taken me this long to actually purchase a machine.

I managed to pick up a second hand resmed s9 autoset with humidifier locally for only $300AU (bargain i feel) and would love some advice on what steps to go through next?.....

Obviously a thorough clean is on the cards, but what other advice can you all suggest for me? (Remember this is all mew to me) It has come with a full face mask and also nasal pillows which have a removable, mouldable mouth guard. 

Should i be formatting the sd card so its fresh for my data?

Are there any settings i should be adjusting to get a new start? 

I don't currently have have my results from the sleep study but i can probably obtain them them with a quick phone call if you suggest its worth while.

Im sure ill have many more questions but lets start here. Any help and advice is greatly welcomed ?

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie. Second hand Resmed s9 user
They are a good machine and by coincidence the same as I paid for my s9 apap. Change the filter on the back. Wash the water tub, hose and masks. The rest of the machine should be fine with a damp wipe. I'd start with the FFM, it cuts out mouthbreathing if you do it. perhaps swap to nasal mask later, after the machine is set up.
set min pressure 6, max pressure 20, EPR full time 2
https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

download sleepyhead from the top of the page and get some charts up.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Ive ordered some new filters and will look at those settings. So do i need to be formatting the sd card or can i just keep going as it is? Downloading app right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Matt. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Yes, you should format the card to clear out any data from the previous user. That way all your records and stats will be "clean" with no confusion from pre-existing data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also suggest a ‘factory’ reset of the machine and delete all of the previous users data it does not reset total runtime but it does clear everything else, along with a SD card format.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply DeepBreathing. Maybe a dumb question.. but i notice theres an option in the machines settings to 'clear data' is that in regards to the sd card or all the settings that have been applied to the machine? Or should i just format in a computer? 

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
The clear data is the factory reset of the machine. To format the SD card use your computer. If after formatting on the computer the machine does not like it it will format the card itself
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend buying a new hose and mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll somewhat disagree with Ajack on Mask choice. If you know you are a mouth breather at night maybe, but in general Start with the ResMed P10, it is the easiest mask to achieve a good seal on and many mouth breathers shift to nasal breathing when under CPAP pressure.  Larger masks (full face) have more area to seal and thus more areas to leak from.  I always suggest starting small (Pillows and then advance to nasal then Full Face) moving to the larger masks.

Read the Mask Primer.

Definitely download Sleepyhead and post data asap.  The settings that Ajack are intended to be adjusted after seeing how your machine responds to you and your apnea.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! I will keep you all posted. And upload data as soon as im up and running
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 55 3 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 340 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.