Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie-Struggling with AirFit P10
Newbie-Struggling with AirFit P10
I've been using my machine for 6 nights now and doing pretty well so far. I'm averaging over 4 hours a night. I'd do even better if I liked my mask. I'm using the ResMed AirFit P10 for her nasal pillows. The strap is the worst! The split isn't big enough for my head and in the back it slides up my hair which is long and thick. I bought the regular "for him" strap which is slightly better, but not much. It can take a full 10 minutes just to get the mask adjusted. By then I'm not sleepy anymore and out of breath. Also the pillows push into and up my nose because the strap is just too tight(? I'm not sure!). I'm not sure if I even like these pillows because I don't know how they are supposed to feel "floating" over my nostrils. They don't. Other complaints: they whistle while I breathe and the attached hose is impossible to get dry by the end of the night, but I have to wash it daily because of those screens!

I'm not going through insurance or a DME as I no longer have a sleep doctor. I had 2 already and neither were willing to work with me or help me when I struggled. So, I’m doing this on my own. I bought my current machine without a prescription.

Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie-Struggling with AirFit P10
Hi esme17,
I’ve never had problems with the P10, but I know some just don’t like the strap.

The only thing I can suggest, if your lucky to have long hair, then pull it in a low pony tail and place the lower strap under the pony tail. It can’t ride up that way.

Also, the pillows should not push against your nose. Think Piggy Nose...you don’t want that.
If you take the strap that sits at the crown of your head, pull it forward a little until the pressure against your nose lessens.

One last thing, use a larger nasal pillow than you think you need.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Esme, congratulations on starting therapy! I want to second what OpalRose has written.

I started with small pillows at the suggestion of my respiratory technician and quickly switched to medium. But the pillows still made my nose sore, and like you I had an incredibly annoying whistle/wheeze on exhale. Out of desperation, I tried the large pillows. They are much more comfortable, and the noise is gone. I have to bend them inward and upward a little to get them set right, and I have a constant tiny leak all night. But I don’t feel it, and it doesn’t matter.

You don’t have to wash your headgear every day. It’s good to wash the pillows every day, or use a CPAP wipe on them, but the headgear just needs washing once a week. Soak it in warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, then brush the vents gently on both sides with a toothbrush you use just for that purpose. Rinse, shake, and hang to dry. A little moisture in the tube is no problem; it’ll evaporate quickly once you turn the machine on.
Post Reply Post Reply
the straps are notorious for stretching so it might fit better in a week or so. maybe you can speed things up by yanking on it for a while. just don't wash the strap very often to avoid shrinkage. you don't have to wash the p10 exhalation vents every day. dme provider told me every 3 days, which I followed for a long time, but lax lately washing just once every week or 10 days. even if they plug up, which can happen apparently but seems to be pretty rare, you'll be aware of it. I started getting moisture on my upper lip/mustache which eases after I wash the thing. that was after using the mask assembly for more than a year. if you have a water jet flosser, use it to ensure the vents are clear. regarding moisture left in the hose after washing, towel off the connector, connect it to the machine and then run 'mask fit' once or twice from the options menu to blow it out. regarding adjusting the mask, the single best advice about this I've read here is to put the mask on, start the machine, breathe a few times, then pull the mask away from your face a half inch and let it sort of gently snap back into place. maybe inhale through your nose as you do this. do it a few times if necessary until it feels right. finally, if it still isn't feeling right, try a different size pillow. the conventional wisdom here is go up a size but whatever works best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 09:45 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi esme17,
I’ve never had problems with the P10, but I know some just don’t like the strap.

The only thing I can suggest, if your lucky to have long hair, then pull it in a low pony tail and place the lower strap under the pony tail.  It can’t ride up that way.  

Also, the pillows should not push against your nose.  Think Piggy Nose...you don’t want that.
If you take the strap that sits at the crown of your head, pull it forward a little until the pressure against your nose lessens.

One last thing, use a larger nasal pillow than you think you need.

Thank you for your response! 

I tried the low ponytail last night and it made the strap too tight. But it felt really comfortable anchored in place. So I’ll have to find a happy medium.

Yes, piggy nose! I keep telling my husband that... “my mask is giving me piggy nose!” Tongue

I like the small size but I tried the medium for a night a few days ago. It resulted in a lot of leaks. But I’ll try it again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 10:16 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Esme, congratulations on starting therapy!  I want to second what OpalRose has written.

I started with small pillows at the suggestion of my respiratory technician and quickly switched to medium. But the pillows still made my nose sore, and like you I had an incredibly annoying whistle/wheeze on exhale. Out of desperation, I tried the large pillows. They are much more comfortable, and the noise is gone. I have to bend them inward and upward a little to get them set right, and I have a constant tiny leak all night. But I don’t feel it, and it doesn’t matter.

You don’t have to wash your headgear every day. It’s good to wash the pillows every day, or use a CPAP wipe on them, but the headgear just needs washing once a week. Soak it in warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, then brush the vents gently on both sides with a toothbrush you use just for that purpose. Rinse, shake, and hang to dry. A little moisture in the tube is no problem; it’ll evaporate quickly once you turn the machine on.

Thank you for your encouragement and reply! 

I will try the larger (to me) medium size again. I tried them once and it resulted in a lot of leaks, so I got discouraged. But no large leaks so I’ll definitely try that again. The whistling sound is quite annoying!

I had this mask with an rx 2 years ago but was not compliant. My DME and both sleep drs were terrible. I never received instruction on caring for the mask. And the mask booklet isn’t super clear. I’ll follow your suggestion for cleaning it. Good to know I don’t have to worry about water in the tube. I was quite concerned about the vents. Read some horror stories about clogs. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2019, 10:18 PM)sheepless Wrote: the straps are notorious for stretching so it might fit better in a week or so.  maybe you can speed things up by yanking on it for a while.  just don't wash the strap very often to avoid shrinkage.  you don't have to wash the p10 exhalation vents every day.  dme provider told me every 3 days, which I followed for a long time, but lax lately washing just once every week or 10 days.  even if they plug up, which can happen apparently but seems to be pretty rare, you'll be aware of it.  I started getting moisture on my upper lip/mustache which eases after I wash the thing. that was after using the mask assembly for more than a year. if you have a water jet flosser, use it to ensure the vents are clear.  regarding moisture left in the hose after washing, towel off the connector, connect it to the machine and then run 'mask fit' once or twice from the options menu to blow it out.  regarding adjusting the mask, the single best advice about this I've read here is to put the mask on, start the machine, breathe a few times, then pull the mask away from your face a half inch and let it sort of gently snap back into place.  maybe inhale through your nose as you do this.  do it a few times if necessary until it feels right.  finally, if it still isn't feeling right, try a different size pillow.  the conventional wisdom here is go up a size but whatever works best.

Thanks for replying! 

Okay! I’m glad to hear the straps stretch. I’ll be patient AND stretch them out myself a bit too.

I’m really overly concerned about the vents. Read some horror stories. I’ll watch for that moisture on my lip (but hopefully not mustache!Wink). I ran “mask fit” after washing last time and it didn’t do much. It’s raining this morning so maybe just too humid.

I did the pull back and snap technique last night and it worked really well. Straps are still too tight, but if and when those loosen up I’ll be using that all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
fwiw, I blow out the exhaust mesh on my P10 with compressed air every time I wash it. Canned air might work too (I'm using tool air from an oil-free compressor in my garage). Also great way to verify it's flowing properly..
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2019, 10:31 AM)esme17 Wrote:  Straps are still too tight, but if and when those loosen up I’ll be using that all the time.

I have a big head. My straps sometimes feel tight.

You didn't mention what you do with your upper strap. In order to provide the most slack, the two split straps need to be separated as much as possible. My lower strap rests just above my ears. My upper strap rests just above my forehead.

It's unfortunate there aren't a variety of strap sizes to chose from. Someone handy with a needle could perhaps cut the straps and sew a 1/2 inch extension into each of the split straps to add some slack. But I find that I'm sensitive to pressure from the lower strap. It tends to irritate my skull. So unless the the extensions are joined very neatly, any lumps (such as from thread) would probably cause even more irritation.

I love the comfort of the mask when everything is working well (usually after I get a haircut). But the P10 mask just isn't for everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Bella straps.
These made a huge difference for me!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,242 4 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,303 9 hours ago
Last Post: psinderbrand
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 91 11 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,583 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.