Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Success Story
Newbie Success Story
This is for the ones who are struggling, perhaps newly diagnosed, the frustrated, even the angered, the ones that are nearing the point of giving up on this new fangled machine that hisses and blows a hurricane down your throat.

I am that person. I was near the point of quitting. One thing kept me from it: I have a condition for which there is no cure, only treatment. That condition, which the doctors call Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, will certainly shorten my life, and decrease the quality of living in the meantime. So there was a decision to make: either commit to educating myself on treatment, or quit & die.

The message to any of you who are nearing this point is:

——> COMMIT! <----

My sleep study showed AHI in the 40’s, and during my frequent frustrations, my machine was showing AHI in the 60’s. The sleep study recommended CPAP pressure = 8. Finally, after months of fidgeting with this mess, last night my AHI was 1.70. For 5 nights in a row, my AHI has been less than 5.00. My pressures are NOWHERE NEAR 8 (they are routinely around 19), I am getting the best sleep of my adulthood, and I am refreshed upon awakening, every day. I am 60, and convinced that I can live for decades. The rest of my life is going to be the best of my life.

My path may be helpful to any of you considering quitting, and if not, perhaps it will at least be interesting:

My wake up call came last year. I was alone, and awakened from a deep sleep by noises that can only occur at 70mph, in a ditch, 8 ft below the surface of the road I had exited, with dense coastal seagrasses blocking my view.

Afterwards, my loving wife continued to “guide” me towards the doctor’s office, (where I don’t like to go), but never complained about my snorting, gasping, jerking and thrashing, even though she sometimes would get bruises! Yes, I am a lucky man.

The doctor ordered a sleep study, confirming the diagnosis and recommended CPAP (albeit with inadequate pressure).

A rental machine was ordered and delivered. That’s when the fun really started.

After months of frustration and failure, I ran across the Apnea Board. My first post was a plea for help.

The generous members here led me out of the darkness.

The rental machine is gone, I own a cool APAP that can actually talk to me. (Well, sort of---SleepyHead does the talking, and gets it’s data from the cool APAP.) Things I learned from members of Apnea Board, like how to program the machine, how to make adjustments in small increments, recommended delivery devices, the definition of success, etc, etc, etc really educated me on how to own my own solutions.

It’s not that doctors don’t care….they DO. They simply don’t have time to babysit you night after night to force success. It takes me 3+ hours to go to the machine rental store, and frankly, they are not in the business of babysitting either. So my advice:

OWN IT, ladies and gentlemen....NEVER quit.
Your success is right in front of you, and the people here will help you.

Thank you for what you do, Apnea Board — I am proud to support you.

My name is Keith Griggs-and I'm glad to know you.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Success Story
Hi kgriggs,
Thank you for this VERY helpful and uplifting post.
It's great to hear that you are well on the road with your CPAP therapy, keep up the good work and CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fantastic!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 03:04 PM)kgriggs Wrote: OWN IT, ladies and gentlemen....NEVER quit.
Your success is right in front of you, and the people here will help you.

Thank you for what you do, Apnea Board — I am proud to support you.

My name is Keith Griggs-and I'm glad to know you.

I've got the same story for me and my wife.

The doc has about 15 minutes to see me once a year. I have all the time I need and much more motivation.

Grab your treatment by the b***s and twist. 8-)

I've spent so many years feeling like crap, that even after a couple of years on CPAP, every day I wake up and am amazed that I feel awesome and the bed doesn't' look like I've been wrestling bears in it.

Congratulations! I now expect to live a long happy life.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a great story! THANK YOU FOR POSTING. Just curious- how long did you struggle with the apap - before you went to the bilevel?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting up Keith. The reason for success is precisely because you were and are committed to make this thing work for you. Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is SO GOOD to hear! My hubby was diagnosed in 2003 and I am SO happy that he knows how important it is to treat his sleep apnea.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Pleased to know you Keith.
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
Good luck on your journey..
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,927 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.