Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - Too much pressure, help with mask (Lumby3 Therapy Thread)
Newbie - Too much pressure, help with mask (Lumby3 Therapy Thread)
Hi all,

Brand new to this and already frustrated.  Diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and was recommended the 3B BMC Luna II.  I'm using a full Fischer & Paykel facemask.  Fit on the mask seems to be good.

The device showed up and was creating too much pressure.  It felt as though air was being forced down my lungs a bit quicker than my lungs can handle.  I purchased the device from a distributor called Nationwide out of California here in the US.  They've been somewhat helpful but don't know enough to help me dig in.

They eventually gave me access to the, for lack of a better term, the clinical menu where I can adjust the min/max apap, a feature called reslex, etc.  I don't recall what pressure the machine came programmed with but I let my dr know it was too much and he then sent me a revised prescription of 'Auto 4 - 10cm'

This appears to be the lowest pressure setting if I'm discerning the information out there correctly.  I've also got the Reslex setting set to three, which is the highest.  Per the manual, this is supposed to recognize and adjust to a lesser pressure based on my breathing.

With all this said, I can't fall asleep with it on because, after about 20 minutes, my lungs are tired from fighting with the pressure.  Is it possible I'm just an oddity who can't handle even the 4cm pressure?

Any help would be much appreciated; I'm ignorant of this whole process and very overwhelmed.  Thanks so much again.  

CJ
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Too much pressure - Help if you can
4 is the absolute lowest any pap machine can go. The pressure is used for children not adults. That low usually makes adults feel air starved. I for instance need at least 9 or I’m taking my mask off to get enough air. 

What does the pressure mean?  It is measured in cm. The number is what pressure it would take if you ha a straw in water. 4 is how hard you would have to blow if the straw was 4cm in water - pressure of 10 would be how hard you would have to blow to get bubbles at 10cm. 

The highest the machine can go would NOT be enough to blow up a balloon.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 04:08 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Hi Stacey,

Thank you for the clarification.  So my feeling of having a bit of pressure in my lungs is a byproduct of being air starved?  I guess I assumed it was too much pressure and felt it necessary to keep the setting low but it sounds like I've got it all wrong.  

I really appreciate it.

4 is the absolute lowest any pap machine can go. The pressure is used for children not adults. That low usually makes adults feel air starved. I for instance need at least 9 or I’m taking my mask off to get enough air. 

What does the pressure mean?  It is measured in cm. The number is what pressure it would take if you ha a straw in water. 4 is how hard you would have to blow if the straw was 4cm in water - pressure of 10 would be how hard you would have to blow to get bubbles at 10cm. 

The highest the machine can go would NOT be enough to blow up a balloon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 03:25 PM)lumby3 Wrote: I've also got the Reslex setting set to three, which is the highest.  Per the manual, this is supposed to recognize and adjust to a lesser pressure based on my breathing.
CJ

Reslex is equivalent to what ResMed machines use called EPR.  Reslex, if set to 3 will drop the pressure by 3cm upon exhalation.  This makes it easier to exhale against pressure.

But... this feature can't work optimally if you have your minimum pressure set to 4cm.

Stacy is correct, what you are experiencing with a minimum pressure set to 4 is what we call "air starved".   This is why you feel as if your lungs hurt.  You're overusing your chest muscles to suck in air.  

Lacking any data to help us advise on settings, we can give you a starting point.

Let's make this more comfortable for you.  
Try this:
Set the minimum pressure to 7cm and a maximum to 10cm.  Set Reslex to 3.  
This should make the experience more comfortable.  

Check back with us after sleeping with these settings and let us know how it feels.
Also, if your machine gives a breakdown of the AHI, like Obstructives, Hypopnea and Clear Airway, please let us know those numbers.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Thank you so much.  That's incredibly helpful.  No access to the breakdowns you mentioned that I can find.  There is a QR code the machine generates that I scan with the corresponding phone app.  My guess is this generates some kind of data but, as I haven't scanned anything yet, I don't have a sample to report.

Will definitely keep you updated.  Thanks again!

CJ
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2022, 05:21 PM)lumby3 Wrote: Hi there,

Last night was better based on your setting recommendations.  I fell asleep for the first time but my wife did tell me I began snoring and I had to remove the headset about an hour into sleep.  Is the snoring indicative of there still being a lack of pressure or too much?

Any help is appreciated

CJ

Hi,

Thank you so much.  That's incredibly helpful.  No access to the breakdowns you mentioned that I can find.  There is a QR code the machine generates that I scan with the corresponding phone app.  My guess is this generates some kind of data but, as I haven't scanned anything yet, I don't have a sample to report.

Will definitely keep you updated.  Thanks again!

CJ
Post Reply Post Reply
This is hit and miss with out data but try raising min by 1.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
We do have software that might possibly work with your Luna II Cpap. (Works with Windows only)  
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...r-software

Snoring is indicative of needing a higher minimum pressure.  Sometimes just a small increase is all that's needed.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal Mask Suggestions
Hi all,

Newbie to this.  Moderate sleep apnea, very loud snoring, can't sleep in the same room as the wife.  Been using a B3 Luna II CPAP with full face mask with no results.  I feel like I'm fighting the machine for air.  I got into the professional settings and have tried different pressure settings (6-12 with different ramps) and I can't fall asleep with it on, let alone keep it on for any length of time throughout the night.  

My doctor is of absolutely ZERO assistance in helping me.  I asked him if I should try a nasal mask and he said sure.  When I asked him for a recommendation he told me to pick one that looks comfortable.  This is Greek to me as I'm new to this world.

With very limited data to share with you, can you tell me pros and cons of full mask vs nasal mask?  It's not comfort with the full mask that's the issue, it's not terrible to have on, I just struggle with breathing.  I'm running out of time before my insurance won't cover my CPAP machine as I haven't racked up the hours on it they require.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as the medical community, I feel, has shrugged its shoulders at me.

Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Too much pressure, help with mask (Lumby3 Therapy Thread)
I have combined your most recent thread with your therapy thread.
Going forward, please use this thread. It's easier if your history is in one thread.

A nasal mask will work for you if you don't mouth breathe.  Otherwise you're going to have a big leak problem.  

Read the Mask Primer to get some ideas on masks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Also, did you adjust your pressure settings so that you don't feel "air starved?"
Without seeing data, we are just guessing.  But for comfort, try minimum 7cm, maximum 12cm. with EPR equivalent (Reslex) set to 3.  

I also suggested you try the software for the Luna Cpap in our "Private Files and Links Forum".  
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...r-software
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 172 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,362 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.