Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie-UARS/Catathrenia-using AirCurve VAuto
Newbie-UARS/Catathrenia-using AirCurve VAuto
Hi! I’m new here and new to PAP therapy; only on my third night. I’m struggling some but very motivated! Hope I can get some help.

I chose a bilevel machine after a ton of research as it seemed best for my particular issues. Mainly flow limitations, RERAs, a few OSAs, fewer centrals, catathrenia, snoring on my side with my mouth closed (so talented!), autonomic nervous system dysregulation/complex PTSD, LES dysfunction/GERD. 

During my sleep study I was prescribed a pressure setting of 6 on an APAP. Long story short, I was not compliant due to constant congestion (caused by the machine) and gave it back. I no longer have a sleep doctor as I had 2 already and neither were willing to work with me or help me when I struggled. So, I’m doing this on my own. I bought my current machine and here I am.

My settings are as follows:
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 6
PS: 3
Ti Max: 4
Ti Min: 0.3
Trigger: Med
Cycle: High

My main issue is the inhale. I feel like I’m fighting the machine during inhale. I feel like it’s breathing for me; feeling it filling my lungs. I played around with the settings and PS 0 feels nearly perfect. Like I’m breathing normally. Is this crazy? What does this mean for my therapy? Can I leave it this way or is there a happy medium? 

The other issue I’m having is only as I’m drifting off to sleep is there a very distinct “drop” at the end of my inhale (where there would be a natural pause between inhale and exhale). It almost feels like suction, and it immediately jolts me out of actually falling asleep. It happens multiple times as I keep drifting off and is very jarring and annoying.

Thank you for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Newbie-UARS/Catathrenia-using AirCurve VAuto
Welcome to the forum, we can and will help you.
(06-13-2019, 06:58 PM)esme17 Wrote: Hi! I’m new here and new to PAP therapy; only on my third night. I’m struggling some but very motivated! Hope I can get some help.

I chose a bilevel machine after a ton of research as it seemed best for my particular issues. Mainly flow limitations, RERAs, a few OSAs, fewer centrals, catathrenia, snoring on my side with my mouth closed (so talented!), autonomic nervous system dysregulation/complex PTSD, LES dysfunction/GERD. 

During my sleep study I was prescribed a pressure setting of 6 on an APAP. Long story short, I was not compliant due to constant congestion (caused by the machine) and gave it back. I no longer have a sleep doctor as I had 2 already and neither were willing to work with me or help me when I struggled. So, I’m doing this on my own. I bought my current machine and here I am.

My settings are as follows:
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 6
PS: 3
Ti Max: 4
Ti Min: 0.3
Trigger: Med
Cycle: High

My main issue is the inhale. I feel like I’m fighting the machine during inhale. I feel like it’s breathing for me; feeling it filling my lungs. I played around with the settings and PS 0 feels nearly perfect. Like I’m breathing normally. Is this crazy? What does this mean for my therapy? Can I leave it this way or is there a happy medium? 

The other issue I’m having is only as I’m drifting off to sleep is there a very distinct “drop” at the end of my inhale (where there would be a natural pause between inhale and exhale). It almost feels like suction, and it immediately jolts me out of actually falling asleep. It happens multiple times as I keep drifting off and is very jarring and annoying.

Thank you for any help!
You say you have [size=small]"mainly flow limitations, RERAs, and snoring"  These are best treated with PS/Pressure Support, so I do not like PS of 0.

Your Timing, Ti Max and Ti Min look way off.  This is why you are having 
Set Ti Maax =2.0 instead of wide open 4, 
Ti Min =1.0 instead of it's .3
Cycle = Med

Do post a set of Daily charts
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 10:01 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum, we can and will help you.

You say you have [size=small]"mainly flow limitations, RERAs, and snoring"  These are best treated with PS/Pressure Support, so I do not like PS of 0.

Your Timing, Ti Max and Ti Min look way off.  This is why you are having 
Set Ti Maax =2.0 instead of wide open 4, 
Ti Min =1.0 instead of it's .3
Cycle = Med

Do post a set of Daily charts

Thank you for your welcome! I really do appreciate your help.

I received advice about the Ti min/max from another place. It definitely was not working out for me. On your suggestion, I set my machine to Ti min 1.0 and Ti max 2.0, and cycle on medium. What a difference! 

My PS is still at 3. I realize a PS of 0 is not right for me. I was just giving the example of what felt good. 

My inhale still “tops off” even with your suggested changes. It goes a little too high or in too deeply. It doesn’t stop when I stop breathing in. I feel my lungs filling too much because I’m not naturally breathing in that deeply. It’s obviously a very small sensation, but I can feel it if I let my breathing get away from me and when I do I tend to over breathe and feel like I’m hyperventilating.

I’ll give all the changes a go tonight and see if I can get a decent chart posted tomorrow. I’m new so I can only get 3-4 hours use at a time. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
My To Min is .3
Try that I know mine is unchanged
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limitations, For Her, UARS, etc. WakeTired 38 1,953 Yesterday, 04:53 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  [Treatment] UARS and APAP slowriter 123 3,497 Yesterday, 03:31 PM
Last Post: slowriter
  Appreciate help adjusting settings (UARS) cmcphee 55 996 Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Last Post: alexp
  data gaps on ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV KallyA 6 139 09-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Starting settings for switch from Airsense 10 to Aircurve 10 VAUTO to minimize Aeroph TexasTiger 17 322 09-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Last Post: TexasTiger
  having trouble with aircurve 10 asv ldanielle01 30 621 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Resmed S9 VAUTO or series 10 VAUTO? Bweekzzz 7 126 09-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.