Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Who Needs Help
Newbie Who Needs Help
I started using an A-pap last Dec., I don't remember the pressure range, but I felt I wasn't getting enough air, so doc changed to C-pap with a pressure setting of 6. I've tried many masks, using nasal mask now, but noises from the mask leaks and my mouth opening were waking my husband. I've asked him to awaken me when that happens, so neither of us are getting any sleep.

I've tightened my mask to stop the leaks, but strap marks show on my face until noon. Tried chin strap to keep mouth closed, but it slips off, so now taping my mouth, which is creating a new wrinkle.

Shouldn't the doctor, respiratory therapist and I have worked this out by now, it's been 9 months? The doc gives one change/prescription per visit ($45 each time) and this is costly and slow. What else should I be asking or trying?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Who Needs Help
Hi sleepyntx, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! If you can't work it out with the doc you are going to, you might think about finding a new one. You really shouldn't tape your mouth shut, that is a very dangerous thing to do. Maybe you could try a different style of chinstrap as there are a few different types. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time right now with CPAP therapy. Hang in there and someone will have more suggestions. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask are you using?
How old is the cushion, are you washing it each morning with soap water and it does help to wash face before put the mask on
Its counter productive to over-tighten the mask
The cushion should fill with air to inflate and seal on the face
Chinstrap can help with minimizing mouth leaks and shouldn't be tight either
Fit the mask while the machine is running at the set pressure and turn Ramp off ... You don,t need at such low pressure

Here is a good mask fit guide written by jeffy1958
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Edit: check the machine set at the correct pressure (6)
Post Reply Post Reply
You may request the manual for your machine via Email (scroll down to section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

PRS1 setup (pictures and video)
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

PRS1 60 series video (Heated Hose)
http://vimeo.com/41393273
Post Reply Post Reply
Over tightening the mask will actually create more leaks.

Your machine is data capable. Ever considered checking out the data?

Like Trish said, there's several different kinds of chin straps available. Check out some of the online suppliers on our Supplier's list. My opinion is that taping lips is just too dangerous. A chin strap will still allow you to open your mouth if you need to.

It is not uncommon for folks to still be struggling. The mask is the most important bit. If it leaks, doesn't fit, your the person hates it, then the machine can be the best on the market and be useless.

In terms of pressure, 6 is rather low and I'm not surprised you were feeling like you didn't get enough air. Instead of turning your machine into a dumb one, it would seem turning up the lower number would have been a better option. APAPs work well because they adjust the pressure to what you need. You set a low (telling the machine do not go lower than X) and a high (and don't go over X) then it uses that range to keep your airway open. If all is well, it will be at the lowest setting possible to keep the airway open. If you have an event, then it increases the pressure in order to re-open the airway.

As for the $45, that's downright rude. $45 to do what? Push some buttons and turn a knob? Download the user manual and do it yourself. Then treat your husband out to dinner with the $45 you just saved.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
i had the same problem, but really it was solved by using the proper chin trap, there is one type that has four strips around the head and specifically disigned to hold the whole chin and push it backward, it was given to me by my dr. without any name on it. it made a difference, on the other hand tightening the mask do not make any change, and even sometimes it worsen the case. try to look for types of chin traps over the internet maybe you can find this trap i am talking about, it color is purple

(09-12-2012, 09:41 PM)sleepyntx Wrote: I started using an A-pap last Dec., I don't remember the pressure range, but I felt I wasn't getting enough air, so doc changed to C-pap with a pressure setting of 6. I've tried many masks, using nasal mask now, but noises from the mask leaks and my mouth opening were waking my husband. I've asked him to awaken me when that happens, so neither of us are getting any sleep.

I've tightened my mask to stop the leaks, but strap marks show on my face until noon. Tried chin strap to keep mouth closed, but it slips off, so now taping my mouth, which is creating a new wrinkle.

Shouldn't the doctor, respiratory therapist and I have worked this out by now, it's been 9 months? The doc gives one change/prescription per visit ($45 each time) and this is costly and slow. What else should I be asking or trying?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2012, 09:41 PM)sleepyntx Wrote: I've tightened my mask to stop the leaks, but strap marks show on my face until noon. Tried chin strap to keep mouth closed, but it slips off, so now taping my mouth, which is creating a new wrinkle.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I found that with my mask that increasing the tightness of the straps actually made the leaks worse.

It is unfortunately true however that in almost everything to do with masks what is great for one individual can be quite hopeless for another.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone. Your comments were very welcome. I stopped using the tape a couple of night ago and started using the chin strap again. My therapist showed me the one that has 4 straps and fits around the head, but that seemed like too many straps to me. I will check online for other styles.

My nasal mask is only 2 wks old. I wash it every morning. Sometimes I'm too tired to wash my face (I know how horrible that it) but it's the truth. I will watch to see if that makes it worse. I did try turning the air on before putting on the headgear and felt like it wasn't fitting as tightly. It actually felt very comfortable and only leaked a tiny bit when I would turn over. I did still have strap marks for several hours after arriving at work, they seemed as bad as ever.

Just want to tell you all, the support I feel from you, gives me the added desire to continue this battle. Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepyntx, It's GREAT to hear, that you have stopped using tape and I hope it works out with the new chinstrap. Best of luck and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepyntx,

The super important thing to remember about how to adjust the mask straps, is to keep the straps even (symetrical) on left side versus right side. And not to over-tighten. But if using auto mode, be sure to use the Mask Fit feature of your machine to adjust the straps tight enought to stop leaks if the pressure gets raised during the night.

Also, if the problem with the full face masks you tried was leaks around the eyes or nose, I recommend trying the ResMed Gecko nasal pad (leak guard). It is put on before the full face mask is put on, and eliminates leaks around the eyes and nose so you don't need to tighten the mask so much.

Take care.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.