Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie adapting question
Newbie adapting question
I have only been on my therapy for two nights. I did have a chance to look at the data stored in my S9 Auto. It says that I had almost no obstructive episodes, but several central apneas. The tech at the sleep center as I recall said something about likelihood of reflexive central sleep apnea for the first couple of weeks. Would the central events be happening because I am still adjusting and having this reflexive central apnea she referred to, or something else? The first night my AHI was 5.6, and the second my AHI was 3.9, so I think it is getting better, no? I was only told that we hope to get AHI < 5 and preferably around 3. What would these numbers be in optimal therapy? Also, what are acceptable leakage numbers?

---------------night 1--night 2
apnea index:-----5.00----3.60
AHI:-------------5.60----3.90
obstructive:------0.60----0.50
central:----------4.30----3.10
unknown:--------0.10----0.00
hypopnea index:--0.60----0.30
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie adapting question
Hi LTSleeper!
Welcome

You should get a few CA's now and then. Keep an eye on them and see if they dont fade out after a few weeks use.
It's just your body going, "Hey! What's with this pressurized air you're sending down???"

Leaks, hmm. I dunno with those nasel pillows. I use a full face mask but,
lotsa folks use pillows and I'm sure they can get you some better answers.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

In answer to your question, it is not unusual to have variations in your data from one night to the next.

You might find either the ResScan or SleepyHead software available for download HERE to be helpful in keeping track of how well your sleep apnea is being controlled.

SleepyHead is available for Windows and Mac. ResScan is available for Windows-based computers only.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's actually very very very good! Your obstructive index was just .6! That's freakin' fantastic!

It is not uncommon for central events to pop up during the first bit of treatment. They should drop down over time.

No two nights are the same. Keep looking at your data and by night ten (or more) you'll start seeing trends and patterns.

Consider also keeping a sleep journal. Each night, make notes of what kind of day you had and how you feel. Like, bad day at work, great ball game, lazy slug day, etc. Then, each morning, note how you feel upon waking. Good night, bad night, woke up lots, slept in same position, etc.

Between this and the data, you'll figure it out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2013, 05:46 PM)LTSleeper Wrote: I have only been on my therapy for two nights. I did have a chance to look at the data stored in my S9 Auto. It says that I had almost no obstructive episodes, but several central apneas. The tech at the sleep center as I recall said something about likelihood of reflexive central sleep apnea for the first couple of weeks. Would the central events be happening because I am still adjusting and having this reflexive central apnea she referred to, or something else? The first night my AHI was 5.6, and the second my AHI was 3.9, so I think it is getting better, no? I was only told that we hope to get AHI < 5 and preferably around 3. What would these numbers be in optimal therapy? Also, what are acceptable leakage numbers?

First, don't sweat things too much at this point. Two nights is nothing. Every night is different, so you need a week of data at an absolute minimum, preferably at least two weeks, before you can see a trend. I wait at least three weeks before making any changes, and sometimes longer, just so I can see more clearly the effects of the previous settings. And if you make any changes, make just one change at a time. If you make more than one change at the same time you won't know which change caused the difference in your data. (This is called the scientific method.)

The tech may be right about the centrals. It is not uncommon for beginners to have centrals at first. Sometimes they last a long time before settling down. I've been on this for almost a year and I had centrals for at least the first six months. I didn't worry about them too much because there weren't a lot of them and the numbers kept diminishing. Nowadays I rarely see one.

As for leaks, the magic number is 24 L. Resmed says that if your leaks are over 24 L the machine cannot compensate well and the therapy may be compromised. Some therapy is better than no therapy, but if your leaks are over 24 L you need to address the problem. And nasal pillows leak more than nasal masks. Don't be afraid to change masks if you need to. I'm currently in my ninth mask, changing every month or so in an effort to control my leaks. I finally succeeded only a few weeks ago. And there are lots of other problems besides using the wrong mask that can cause leaks as well.

The optimal therapy is an AHI of zero, but few achieve that. Common wisdom here holds that an AHI < 5.0 is good enough, but I feel much better the closer I get to zero. One night I managed 0.09, I slept for an unheard of (for me) five hours without waking up, and the next day I felt like a million bucks. I suspect not waking up for five hours may have had more to do with the benefits than the AHI, but they also seem to go together.

At nearly a year into this I am still experimenting and tweaking. I have had a harder journey than most at optimizing the therapy, but you will undoubtedly also find that you need to make some changes. Be patient. It takes awhile. And don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what Apnea Board is all about.

And above all, Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LTSleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.! What everyone has said so far, it seems like you are getting off to a GREAT start.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much! Until insurance allows purchase after a rental period, other than getting my mask adjusted, I definitely won't be making any changes anytime soon. I tried Swift FX Bella first, but switched to the Swift FX headgear that came in the same package. I needed something that would be the most gentle to my extremely sensitive allergy-prone face, and surprisingly, the headgear was better than the Bella once I got the "buttons" covered by the Soft Wraps. Trying chin strap during rookie phase, but it hasn't stayed on so well. I don't think I opened my mouth, so I may not use it much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 15 56 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.