Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - already changing masks
Newbie - already changing masks
Hi - I'm new here. Got diagnosed after finding out I have polycythemia (high red blood cells). My untreated AHI was 87.

I got my new machine and F&S Simplus face mask, night #1 was fine but I did wake up feeling like I was being suffocated a couple times and pulled the mask off. That goes away with time right?

Last night it started making farting noises and no matter how I repositioned it or tightened it, it just wouldn't stop shooting air our by my mouth and eyes. It only happened once my pressure went high it seems (about 15-16).

Since I'm in my 1st 30 days my DME is able to switch me out for free so she's got a Quattro lined up for me to pick up tomorrow to try.

I sleep with my mouth open, so she suggested a full face mask. She said if this doesn't work we could always do a nasal mask with a chin strap but she said she's had good luck with the Quattro.

My AHI went down to just over 6 on night one and 4 something last night so it's definitely working, and the machine is surprisingly quiet.

Does anyone have this machine (Respironics DS560HS apap) and have any idea about how to get the bluetooth to work? She told me it's enabled but the manual says she has to give me something to make it work and the Sleep Manager software doesn't work right with just the initial modem that is there for the insurance company.

i did just download sleepyhead, and that seemed to give really good info.

Thanks
Rae
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - already changing masks
Welcome Usone123! I'm sure others here will be able to give some advice about your machine. Going from 87 to 6-ish is amazing! You are doing a lot of things right. Stay with it and tweak the mask adjustments to find your Goldilocks zone. Give yourself some time to get used to it. You may find you sleep with your mouth closed without needing a strap.

Feeling suffocated might happen if the pressure isn't high enough to push in. What are your high and low settings or are you on a straight CPAP?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on an automatic. My min pressure is 4 as I do the ramp up button. Max pressure was 16.70. Ave was 12.70. 95% pressure was 14.90 one night and 16.70 the next.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finding the right mask is the key to comfort. Everyone has an opinion; however what works for one person isn't best for another.
As for me, I like the Mirage Quattro FFM.

Starting at 4 and using the ramp causes some people to feel like they're not getting enough air.
Hang with the present settings a while. You may wish to up the starting pressure and turn off the ramp.
That will also allow you to get the mask adjusted better.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mirage Quattro is an older generation mask. And it has a forehead anchor as well (just like the simplus). The next gen mask to Mirage Quattro is the Resmed Quattro Air (still with the forehead anchors) but the cushion is lighter and the mask is simpler than the MQ.

But I suggest you try a Resmed Airfit F10. It is:
1) The latest full face mask from Resmed.
2) Its anchor has been moved from the forehead to the cheeks. This adds more stability to the mask and less leakage for people with certain facial geometry. If the Mirage Quattro is leaking for you, then it may well be the case that the forehead anchor is not working for you. You may benefit from the F10.
3) F10 is worn loose so it floats on your face instead of cinched tight like the Mirage Quattro.

Also, I would suggest that you use the mask check feature of the 560HS machine.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I am picking up the Quattro today, not sure the full name yet so not sure if new or older model. The Simplus is the one that had the leaks. She did tell me about some button type thing on the quattro that I'll have to turn about halfway on the forehead for a good fit

also does the name brand of the mask have anything to do with the name brand of the machine? like do some masks not work on respironics machines or are they all universal since the hoses may be the same?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 07:13 AM)usone123 Wrote: I am picking up the Quattro today, not sure the full name yet so not sure if new or older model. The Simplus is the one that had the leaks. She did tell me about some button type thing on the quattro that I'll have to turn about halfway on the forehead for a good fit

That sounds like the Mirage which is an older type.

Quote:also does the name brand of the mask have anything to do with the name brand of the machine? like do some masks not work on respironics machines or are they all universal since the hoses may be the same?

Pretty much all masks are a universal fit (can't think of any that aren't). As you said the hose fitting is standard at the mask end.

Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I found that using APAP mode with a FFM was leak city for me. I used the airfit and the Quattro and both would spring leaks on auto mode. I now use straight cpap mode and don't have a problem with the FFM or the nasal masks that I use leaking. YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
You were right, It's the Quattro Mirage. Haven't had a chance to use it as the stomach flu is going through my house and it says not to use when nauseous, so I'll see soon how well it works.

Thanks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 10:44 PM)usone123 Wrote: I'm on an automatic. My min pressure is 4 as I do the ramp up button. Max pressure was 16.70. Ave was 12.70. 95% pressure was 14.90 one night and 16.70 the next.

Hi usone123,
Give yourself some time to find the right mask and fit, because that seems to be the biggest challenge. And I hope you will be over the flu bug soon. Blowing-nose

In time, you should consider changing your starting pressure. At a starting pressure of 4, most users feel as if they are not getting enough air. You can move it up slowly to get used to it, but the end result should be a starting pressure that is a little below your 95% and average pressure. If the numbers stay the same as you have posted, a starting pressure of 12 to 17 should be considered. The max number doesn't matter right now. For now, watch your numbers and make note of them, then in a week to 10 days, make some changes.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 392 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 351 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.