Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie charts...Do I need to adjust machine?
Newbie charts...Do I need to adjust machine?
Hi,

I have an APAP Dreamstation since I was diagnosed about 2 months ago. I think I might benefit from changing some settings on the machine, but I don't know where to start. The machine has cflex on and the min level is 4 and the max is 20. I'm not due to get a titration done until late this year.

My AHI is jumping around quite a bit. I definitely feel rubbish when it is over 5, and I usually feel great when it gets down around 2 (this hasn't happened for a few weeks). I'd love some more days with a lower AHI - I really feel like superwoman when it is around 2! 

I've attached the daily charts for three recent days from SleepyHead, as well as the "overview" screen . I'd be very grateful if any of you have any ideas what settings I should consider changing based on these charts.

Please let me know if there's any other info that would be helpful or if I've done something wrong with the charts.

Thanks for reading,
Tess
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie charts...Do I need to adjust machine?
You probably do better if you set your minimum pressure to 9cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tiredtess,
Your machine is set at a default setting of 4-20.  I would start by moving the minimum pressure to 8cm or 8.5cm, and lower tha max pressure to 15cm.  This will narrow the pressure range and allow the machine to do a better job.

With a Respironics machine, you will need to keep the minimum pressure around your median pressure, or at least 2cm below the 90% number.

I’m not sure what Flex setting you are using, but I would set it to AFlex 2 or 1.

These changes should help with the Obstructives, Hypopneas, and Flow Limitations.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a million Walla Walla and OpalRose, I really appreciate your advice.

I'll increase the min and decrease the max as advised.

I currently have cflex at 3, I'll change to aflex too.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether you use AFlex or CFlex, a settingof 2 will probably work better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, I'll set it to 2.

For some reason I was convinced it was CFlex I was using, but it's actually AFlex. I've reduced the AFlex to 2 now and made the pressure changes too.

Heading to sleep now. Fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again,

I changed my min pressure to 8 and my max to 15 as recommended. I also changed my AFlex to 2.

I've had the settings changed now for the last two nights, and I'm not sure it's helping. My AHI was almost 7 this morning.

I've attached screenshots from SleepyHead for the last two nights. I'd be really grateful if someone could take a look for me. 

I'm not sure if I should change the settings back, or if I need to give it another few nights at the new settings.

Thanks again,
Tess
Post Reply Post Reply
You still have snores and obstructive apnoea, a bit more minimumpressure needed
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks jaswilliams. I took your advice and now have my minimum pressure set to 10 and my max set to 15.

I've attached my chart from last night, and my AHI is at about 3.5 now. I'm much happier with that. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Looking at last night's chart, should I make any further changes?

If I increase the min pressure again, would I need to think about raising the max pressure too?

Tess
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2018, 12:56 PM)tiredtess Wrote: Thanks jaswilliams. I took your advice and now have my minimum pressure set to 10 and my max set to 15.

I've attached my chart from last night, and my AHI is at about 3.5 now. I'm much happier with that. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Looking at last night's chart, should I make any further changes?

If I increase the min pressure again, would I need to think about raising the max pressure too?

Tess

No need to raise the max pressure as you pressure never reaches the maximum of 15. Your getting closer to optimised treatment may be try 10.5 for a night see if your apnoea reduces further as occasionally more pressure is needed to keep your airway open and the philips is slow to respond.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,104 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 123 Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 104 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 184 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 165 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 488 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 198 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.